Zoom H6 mic pin layout / attach Zoom X/Y mic to XLR

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
etcetera
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom H6 mic pin layout / attach Zoom X/Y mic to XLR

Post by etcetera » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:09 am

For a recording session I would like to attach the M/S mic in front, and then 2x XLR mics to 2x XLR pins AND then also the X/Y Zoom mic to the last pair of the XLR connectors. To do something like that I need to know the pin layout of the internal Zoom 2x 6 pin connector, and probably som ideas regarding cable length - I could need it to be 6-10 meters long...
Has anyone looked into that?

Regards
-etcetera
0 x

still_fiddlin

Re: Zoom H6 mic pin layout / attach Zoom X/Y mic to XLR

Post by still_fiddlin » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:14 am

Never even thought about that, though Zoom sells a cable to connect the different mic capsules, though it's pretty short and costs over $100. Wouldn't solve your problem though. And, where would you get the appropriate connector, anyway; buy a "for parts" H5/6???

Really, with the H6, I'd just go spring for a pair of SDCs like the RØDE M5s (or similar) and get a stand and mounting bar to configure those. It's going to be much more flexible for anything you come up with in the long run, and you'll avoid trashing your existing capsule or H6 mic pres with a possible miswiring. Just my $.02.

P.S. I've used my MS capsule exactly once in the 6 (?) years I've had the H6. Never had an occasion where I thought it would really be a better choice than the XY, given the plugins that can pretty well do MS processing on a stereo track. But, I'm sure there are places where it's better, though where you'd want both is a bit of a puzzle.

P.P.S. (edit) Does anyone know that the capsules for the Zooms actually run on 48V phantom power? That would be the first thing to check, i.e., what's the voltage supply at the capsule connector on the Zoom itself? If it's not 48V your idea wouldn't involve just a simple Y from the Zoom plug end to XLRs. And, beware, if you're poking probes around that plug, you risk shorting something that might make the Zoom itself unhappy.
0 x

etcetera
new to this board
new to this board

Post by etcetera » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:34 am

Thx, yes - I am aware of the potential problems here, which is why I am asking in the first place :?
My situation is recording pipe organs where I need to do recording at different distances from the organ for later mixing into different reverb positions. I have used the M/S succesfully for the close/dry position, and then other X/Y mics on XLR for positions further away channels. The thought was to be able to use the included x/y as well, since it's already there... But you are correct, 2 "cheaper" mics on XLR works fine, I was mostly thinking out loud.
I guess the pin outs are not meant to be published.
0 x

still_fiddlin

Post by still_fiddlin » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:50 am

You might direct your question to Zoom support and see if they can help.

I'll reiterate the point about the voltage supply being a concern. The mic capsule's jack for an external microphone supplies 2.5v plug-in-power while the XLR extension capsule does not support phantom power for those jacks. This suggests that the voltage being supplied at that connection is probably not 48v and possibly only 2.5v. The XLR outputs, OTOH, can be set to 12/24/48v, so then the question is whether the mic capsules can withstand any of those settings.

I couldn't find anything when searching around, but I'm guessing those mics are operating on less than 12v, so you'd need to know the capsule spec. You could also disassemble your XY capsule to see if there's any circuitry involved in getting from the connector to that 3.5mm stereo, external mic jack. If not, then you know the voltage supplied is 2.5v. If nothing else, you might be able to deduce what the connector pins are doing.

Good luck if you continue on this quest!
0 x