Zoom H4N Pro - Line out to speakers

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Bharat123
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom H4N Pro - Line out to speakers

Post by Bharat123 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:14 pm

I tried to use my Zoom H4N as a mini sound system during a rehearsal using 4CH mode. I did not use the built in stereo mics. However, I had a clip on condenser mic connected from the sitar (string instrument) to the stereo input (mini TRS pin) on the zoom. Input 1 was connected to SM58 (vocal) and Input 2 was connected to SM57 (tabla - percussion instrument). The headphone output of Zoom was connected to a powered speaker. The inputs on the speaker were RCA so I used a TRS to RCA cable to connect the Zoom to the speakers. The sound from the stereo mic and Input 1 came perfectly but the there was no sound of input 2 on the speaker. From the level indicator, I could make out that input 2 was reaching zoom h4n but there was some problem for the sound to be transferred from zoom to the speakers. When I pulled out the TRS pin on the Zoom H4N headphone output very slightly, I could get a weak sound of Input 2 on the speaker but then the sound from Input 1 stopped completely. Can anyone tell what could be the problem? Are there any compatibility issues with the TRS to RCA connection? Thanks for your replies.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Zoom H4N Pro - Line out to speakers

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:39 am

Difficult to tell...

RCA phono jacks are mono. The odds are good that your adapter is really a TS<>RCA, and you were grounding the R. I'd expect a proper TRS<>RCA to have TWO RCA plugs (red and white) with one TRS connector.

While I do own at least one RCA<>Dual RCA, the usage is really meant as a splitter, not as a combiner (cross feed mismatches when combining two signals; splitting just attenuates by 3dB).
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards