H1n doesn't work with shotgun mic??

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
dazz
new to this board
new to this board

H1n doesn't work with shotgun mic??

Post by dazz » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:09 pm

Hi
I have a new Zoom H1n. I want to use a shotgun mic with it like this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Profess ... st=ae803_5

It doesn't work with the H1n. The shot-gun mic is fitted with a battery. It works with my laptop.
The H1n records with other mics, specifically including my headset mic.

Neither the shotgun mic or the H1n appear to be faulty, but they don't work together. Is there a solution??

Dazz
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: H1n doesn't work with shotgun mic??

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:42 pm

I have no idea how it is working with the computer, but...

That is a BALANCED MONO output; the line-in is an UNBALANCED STEREO. If it did record anything you would have out-of-phase signals (the +S going to one side, the -S going to the other side), and the signal level will be down 3dB (equipment using balanced input /invert/ one side and then add the two).
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

dazz
new to this board
new to this board

Post by dazz » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:42 am

Hi
OK. Is there an easy/cheap way to convert balanced to unbalanced input that will work with the H1n?

Dazz
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:50 am

I can't promise -- I'm only going from what I can read about it. I note the web site shows it with mini-TRS to regular TS (unbalanced MONO) adapter. That is probably working by simply grounding the -S side (hence losing half the signal). Finding a mono-TS female to mini-stereo TRS male might make it usable (at another signal decrease, since you are now splitting the +S to feed both left and right).

Other than that, I have no ideas. I'd have to actually handle the gear for any other possible clues (I've encountered a few TRS plugs that don't seat properly in some equipment).
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

dazz
new to this board
new to this board

Post by dazz » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:01 am

Hi
It looks like I need a mixed or some sort of adapter.
I need to do some more research.

Dazz
0 x