H5 wav file has meta data at the end

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Loudhvx
new to this board
new to this board

H5 wav file has meta data at the end

Post by Loudhvx » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:56 am

Sorry if this is obvious to the more experienced, but I thought I'd post this in case anyone is using old wav-file software.

The H5 wave files sometimes will have meta data at the end of the file, appended after the audio data. I haven't come across this before. Usually I see any meta data (date, time, recording method etc) in the header. The H5 uses a type of wav file with a large header so I would have expected all of the meta data there, but sometimes there is a small portion of meta data at the end. (It's a few labels and the word "data" literally appears a few times... does that make it meta-meta data? :) ). It doesn't do it on every file.

For audio players that don't recognize the appended meta data and are designed to work with "broken" files where the player tries to play everything as audio data (after the header), it will simply sound like a small click at the end of the audio track.

It is outside the reported bounds of the audio data, so most players probably won't have any issue with it, and will just ignore the data.

I don't think this is a defect or a bug... just something to be aware of.
0 x

sciurius

Re: H5 wav file has meta data at the end

Post by sciurius » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:12 pm

A WAV file consists of a number of 'chunks', each identified and with a particular meaning. One of the chunks is the audio data. Other chunks may follow the audio data, so it is not clear to me what you mean by "appended meta data".

Can you send me an example of such a file? PM me for email address.
0 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)