H4n - overdub over a backing track

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Laparka
new to this board
new to this board

H4n - overdub over a backing track

Post by Laparka » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:05 pm

Dear users,

I'm fairly new to zoom and its recording devices.
I usually just find the right location in the rehearsal room, plug it in, record and send to the band members.
But for another project I need to do something specific.
If you allow me, I'll explain the background and why I need to act that way.
I assembled a band with colleagues in which all levels vary from total beginners to experienced musicians.
The drummer is a bit of a newbie and can't really record. So for songwriting we use a drum tack I write on fruity loops and explain him what he should do.

What I would like to use the drumtrack I made in fruity loops in the MTR overdub mode.
So basically the drumtrack would be my track 1, my bass the #2, the guitar #3. Then I'd like to bounce all of these together and use this mix as #1, then the second guitar as #2 and the vocals as #3.

Is it possible?

I know the bounce part is, but I haven't found a way to export the drumtrack I created (wave or mp3) as a track in the MTR record process.

Thank you very much in advance
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: H4n - overdub over a backing track

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:34 pm

Presuming you mean H4n and not the replacement H4nPro...

Manual page 35 for USB connection
Page 39 for SD card file format -- you want the MTR mode diagram
Page 52 for file naming
Page 60 for assigning files to tracks

For a single track, you need a MONO WAV file, using the same bit-depth (16/24 bit) and sample rate (44.1/48 kHz).

Note that for your bounce operation -- unless you bounce to a STEREO PAIR, all the tracks will end up basically centered on top of each other (the guitar and bass are standing on top of the drums <G> ); if bouncing to a stereo pair, you can set the panning to put the guitar and bass to the sides of the drums.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards