Correcting wrong orientation of H3-VR Ambisonic A recording for 5.1 rendering.

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
SmallMountain

Correcting wrong orientation of H3-VR Ambisonic A recording for 5.1 rendering.

Post by SmallMountain » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:05 am

Hi.

I have a little problem regarding a recent recording I made. My H3-VR was suspended from 4 fishing lines over the performance space. Trouble is, I hung it facing the 'wrong way'/ It is easy enough to resolve this in the stereo and binaural derivations, but how do I resolve the problem for the 5.1 surround derivation (each derivation performed via the Zoom Ambisonics Player). I use Sound Forge Pro 11 for further editing. My guess would be that I should use SFP11 to swap channel 1 with channel 2 and channel 3 with channel 4 but what about channels 5 and 6. I suppose I could try a spectral analysis of those channels to determine which is the sub-bass and which the centre channel. What I would prefer, however, is to know how to save a 180-degree horizontal reorientation of the Ambisonic A format I recorded in.

Can anyone here offer a solution? What am I missing in the manual?

[I should, perhaps, have pursued my own route to a solution by carrying out a spectrum analysis before posting. It looks like its channels 3 that holds the centre channel, and channel 4 that holds the sub-bass when the 6 channels of a 5.1 resolution are opened in Sound Forge 11. However, I will leave the post here in the hope that others might benefit from it, or offer alternative solutions.]
0 x

allebaug
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Correcting wrong orientation of H3-VR Ambisonic A recording for 5.1 rendering.

Post by allebaug » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:41 am

Thank you. Good info and diagnostic observation. Not a H3-VR owner, yet, and maybe, but 5.1 would be my objective format.
0 x

SmallMountain

Re: Correcting wrong orientation of H3-VR Ambisonic A recording for 5.1 rendering.

Post by SmallMountain » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:30 pm

allebaug wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:41 am
Thank you. Good info and diagnostic observation. Not a H3-VR owner, yet, and maybe, but 5.1 would be my objective format.
I should add that I am, in general, very pleased with the performance of the H3-VR. When conditions permit, I used a RØDE NT-SF1 with a Zoom F4 for ambisonic recording but on this occasion, the only practical possibility was to hang the H3-VR as indicated. I was put off buying the H3-VR at first, responding to a negative review which drew attention to the flexible mounting of the microphone insert cluster. However, on second thoughts I rejected the criticism since I could always mount the device via a shock-mount cage if vibration might be problematic. Of course, the H3-VR does not offer the degree of resolution found in the set-up costing more than four times the price, but for its price-point, it performs rather better than I had expected.

What I had to do to correct my 180-degree positioning error was to copy tracks 1, 2, 5 and 6 as separate mono files and then paste them back in the correct orientation.
0 x

allebaug
new to this board
new to this board

Post by allebaug » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:25 pm

We have similar set-ups, me an F4 and an F8, but with the Senn AMBEO mic. I recerd a lot of acoustic guitar and amateur recital recordings with the Fs, including videos, feeding the cameras a stereo output, but have extra tracks from an array of mics as needed. I don't get around to ambisonic often enough, and generation of 5.1 output would be my practical target. I am interested reading your details and problem resolution, and assessment of the recorder. I read that the resolution does not come out well until 2nd order ambisonic, with 8 mics, and better still with a one or more spot or area mics for prominent subjects.

Still, if, IF, I were to pop for an H3-VR, it would be paired with a 360 video camera. IF. Too many projects, ... still..? Thank you, again. Best,
0 x