Recording acoustic instruments

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Brian560
new to this board
new to this board

Recording acoustic instruments

Post by Brian560 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:17 am

Hi: I have a question regarding using a Zoom H2n to record acoustic instruments (guitar, mandolin) . What are the best settings to record the instruments while eliminating background noises such as breathing, foot tapping etc etc. A cardioid pattern normally eliminates these. I can’t do the same with the H2n.
0 x

Fran Guidry
Jedi
Jedi

Re: Recording acoustic instruments

Post by Fran Guidry » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:15 pm

Brian560 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:17 am
Hi: I have a question regarding using a Zoom H2n to record acoustic instruments (guitar, mandolin) . What are the best settings to record the instruments while eliminating background noises such as breathing, foot tapping etc etc. A cardioid pattern normally eliminates these. I can’t do the same with the H2n.
If you want cardioid mono use the rear facing mics in MS mode and turn the side mics down to OFF (page 22 of the manual).

If you want stereo use the front pair and you'll have XY cardioid.

I did a lot of acoustic recording with my H2n and always used the front mic pair in XY cardioid.

Fran
1 x

emmrecs
dues paid
dues paid

Post by emmrecs » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:48 am

Fran Guidry wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:15 pm
Brian560 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:17 am
If you want cardioid mono use the rear facing mics in MS mode and turn the side mics down to OFF (page 22 of the manual).

If you want stereo use the front pair and you'll have XY cardioid.

I did a lot of acoustic recording with my H2n and always used the front mic pair in XY cardioid.

Fran
+1 to everything Fran writes here.
2 x
Zoom H2 and H2n. Adobe Audition CS6 and CC. Reaper (TM).

Brian560
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Brian560 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestions , I will give them a try
1 x