Problem with SD card reader functions

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
jimtheswede
new to this board
new to this board

Problem with SD card reader functions

Post by jimtheswede » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:20 am

I am having problems when trying to access the SD card thru Win Explorer using XP. I can see the H4 as a USB mass storage device in device manager, but I can't see the SD card as an drive when searching My Computer. Also, I wonder if it is normal for the display not to be illuminated when powered by USB? My display lights for all functions except when I try to read the SD card when the unit is powered by USB. The display shows "now connecting to PC" but the display is always non-illuminated, and the PC usually doesn't recognize the H4 as an additional drive. If I can see the H4's "F" drive, the PC hangs if I see properties. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. I just got the H4 a couple of days ago and am starting to think that the unit is defective and I need to send it back. Thanks,
Jim
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:47 am

Windows Explorer and My Computer should "see" the same thing, since they are essentially the same program. can you copy files from the SD card to your computer and back again?

As for the back light, it goes out, even when powered by USB cable or AC adapter.

Hope that helps.
0 x

jimtheswede
new to this board
new to this board

Post by jimtheswede » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:01 am

The drive is not usually visible in Explorer, and when the icon is there (as "F" drive), the computer hangs if I try to double click or check properties. And no, I can not access any files on the card to copy over.

The display does not illuminate at all when powered with USB, not even the 30 second default. All I can see is the message "Now connecting to PC".

I am thinking the unit is defective, but trying to make sure the user isn't! Thanks for your help!
Jim
0 x

dogmusic

Post by dogmusic » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:52 am

jimtheswede wrote:
The display does not illuminate at all when powered with USB, not even the 30 second default. All I can see is the message "Now connecting to PC".

I am thinking the unit is defective, but trying to make sure the user isn't! Thanks for your help!
Jim
My unit also does not illuminate the display when connecting by USB, even for the 30 second default. This may be a way of reducing the power drain when USB powered.
0 x