Zoom H4 & H2 FAQ and favorite threads

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zoom H4 & H2 FAQ and favorite threads

Post by Zoetrope » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:01 am

[feel free to add your own questions and answers, or links to valuable threads]

H4
===
Card Error

Firmware Update

High pitch whine / digital noise:
- with phantom power (constant tone)
- with access light (periodic tone) (See also this and this).

Reviews:
- by Zoetrope
- by Axedoctor
Last edited by Zoetrope on Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteveC
dues paid
dues paid

Post by SteveC » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:58 pm

This info belongs here:

Check out all the custom H4 exclusive third party interface adapters from "The Sound Professionals" here:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-b ... AM-ZOOM-H4

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/mas_a ... ERFACE.jpg

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/mas_a ... HANTOM.jpg

SteveC
dues paid
dues paid

Post by SteveC » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:06 pm

A very good FAQ regarding DSM condensor Microphones and interfacing techniques with all small recorders - including the Zoom H4 is here:

http://www.sonicstudios.com/pa_x.pdf

SteveC
dues paid
dues paid

Post by SteveC » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Zoom Japanese Web Site has added these H4 FAQs:
http://www.zoom.co.jp/japanese/support/faq/h4.php

(used bablefish translation - English version should appear very soon)

Q: You can use the SDHC memory card?
A: Calling you obtain, cannot use. Please use the SD memory card of 2GB from 16MB which conforms to usual SD standard.

Q: Is the USB interface of H4 corresponding the high-speed data transfer of USB2.0 High Speed (maximum 480Mbps)?
A: Calling you obtain, are not corresponding. (High Speed, FULL Speed and Low Speed) there are three modes where transfer rate differs in USB2.0 standard, H4 is corresponding FULL Speed mode (maximum 12Mbps).

Q: You can use the stereo condenser microphone of plug in power type?
A: Calling you obtain, cannot use. H4 does not correspond to the supply of plug in power.

Q: With 4 track/truck modes, it can utilize バーチャルテイク?
A: It is, can utilize. Sound recording mode please change to "ALWAYS NEW" from "OVER WRITE" of initializing. In the same way as stereo mode, at each time you record it reaches the point where the new file is drawn up. The sound recording file can be retained in every project, can select the file which from after is played back in every track/truck. Plural you record テイク of the vocal and guitar solo, hear from after and compare and choose best テ イ ク being kind of when, it is convenient. As for details, instruction manual page 40 - 42 "sound recording mode is chosen", please refer to the section.

Q: Is it possible to install H4 in the microphone stand?
A: It is possible, but the conversion screw of marketing becomes necessary. Screw standard of H4 attachment "tripodal adapter" (1/4 inches), screw standard of the microphone stand (*) to it makes conform please buy the "microphone conversion screw". It is possible to purchase with the audio shop and the net store etc. which handle the microphone-related accessory.

* 3/8 inches (AKG), 5/8 inches (SHURE) and the like it is in screw standard of the microphone stand. Please buy those which are agreeable to the microphone stand which becomes errand.

Q: Being to import the file which records with stereo mode in project of 4 track/truck modes, it does, but as the playback file it is not possible to select.
A: The file which records with stereo mode is played back, 2 tracks/trucks where stereo link is set to on become necessary. Track/truck 1/2 or with track/truck 3/4 each stereo link as effective after, please select the playback file. Please refer to page 42 - 43 instruction manual page 53, concerning the selective method of the playback file in regard to stereo link

A: It is, it is possible. If it is the WAV file of 16bit/44.1kHz, taking in to the project of 4 track/truck modes, it reaches the point where it can utilize same as the usual sound recording file. Please operate copy the WAV file on the personal computer in the optional project folder H4 as a SD card leader.
In case of the stereo file, because 2 tracks/trucks where stereo link is set to on (track/truck 1/2 or track/truck 3/4) becomes necessary, please note.

A: The possibility of not being just installed with a some reason you can think the driver software. In accordance with the below-mentioned operation, please renew the driver software.

1. [ Start ] the button is clicked, [ the my computer ] the idea contest the right is clicked, [ the property ] is clicked.
2. [ The property of the system ] in the picture, [ the hardware ] the tub is clicked, [ the device manager ] the button is clicked.
3. [ To develop the tree indication of the USB controller ], "! "The mark it was attached, [ the USB compound device ] is searched.

# "! "The mark it was attached, when [ there is a USB compound device ], the right clicking the object device, please do" the renewal of the driver ".
# "! "The mark it was attached, when [ the USB compound device ] sees and does not drive, restarting the computer, please try for the second time

Q: Attaching the data which records with 4 track/truck modes, to E-mail, is it possible to transmit?
A: The available sound recording format is limited to the WAV file of 16bit/44.1kHz with 4 track/truck modes. Because with 1 track/truck conversion per 1 minute approximately 5MB, with music of 4 parts it becomes the file capacity of approximately 20MB, the transmission with E-mail is not realistic.

Q: Please teach the operating condition of CubaseLE of attachment.
A: The hardware requirement of CubaseLE is as follows. Furthermore detailed informationthis viewing.

Windows
● CPU: Above or AMD K7 Pentium III 500MHz
(Recommendation above Pentium III/Athlon 1GHz)
● Memory: 256MB (recommendation above 512MB)
● HDD: Being less crowded capacity above 1GB
● OS: Windows XP andWindows 2000 *
(*) With ZOOM H4, USB connection with the Windows 2000 on-board computer is not supported.

Macintosh
● CPU: Above POWER Mac G4 450MHz
● Memory: 256MB (recommendation above 512MB)
● HDD: Being less crowded capacity above 1GB
● OS: OS X 10.2 or more

Q: Please teach the method of using CubaseLE.
A: It is outside the object of our company support concerning the operation method of CubaseLE. In addition, either the Steinberg corporation does not support. Because the operation method of CubaseLE is CubaseSL/SX and a community of upper version, please refer the guidebook and the like of marketing.

Q: You can use USB audio interface, even with the software other than CubaseLE?
A: Because it is recognized, as the audio device of standard it is enabled even with the DAW software other than CubaseLE. It re-raises the sound of Windows Media Player and Apple, iTunes etc. adjusts to favorite tune and performing it is possible also to play. Please inquire the setting method with the DAW software other than CubaseLE, to the respective manufacturer.

Q: Using USB audio interface function, being to be able to record, it does, but sound is not audible from the speaker of the personal computer.
A: When H4 you use, as the USB audio device sound of the personal computer is output from H4. The speaker please is not the personal computer, connects with the output of H4.

SteveC
dues paid
dues paid

Post by SteveC » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:02 pm

Mic stand adapter

http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... rentId=114

Use the Roland OP-R09M Microphone Stand Adaptor with the Zoom H4 Tripod mount holder enables you to fix the Zoom H4 on a microphone stand

* Essential item for your studio recording

bkellyusa
new to this board
new to this board

Post by bkellyusa » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:21 am

I am knew to all of this digital recording so my question may sound stupid but my H4 has vers 1.00 software and I want to upgrade to the new software vers. 2.00. Do I need to download the early versions like 1.10 or can I go directly to vers. 2?

Also, I guess I do this with my computer hooked up to to the Zoom H4 with a USB cable. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Seize164
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Seize164 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:51 pm

Hello, I am new too.

I own a H2. But I have already upgraded my firmware and I guess it's the same thing.
So I think you can safely download and install directly v2.0 as Zoom don't mention any warning about that (don't forget to follow the instructions on Zoom website).
Also, I guess I do this with my computer hooked up to to the Zoom H4 with a USB cable. Is that correct?
-> Yes. Use the H4 as a SD card reader. Copy the files and reboot following the instructions.

Bye!

Hovmod
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Hovmod » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:23 pm

I can't get the H4 to work as an ASIO sound interface on my laptop, and the ASIO thread further up seems to be dead. Any FAQs or other threads about the ASIO bit?
Zoom.co.jp wrote:Even if your original data will be lost by un-known reason, recovering is not possible.

greenmachine
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by greenmachine » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:13 am

How to get the best from the Zoom H2:

http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=9745

mhelin
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by mhelin » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:47 am

Hovmod wrote:I can't get the H4 to work as an ASIO sound interface on my laptop, and the ASIO thread further up seems to be dead. Any FAQs or other threads about the ASIO bit?
Have you tried the ASIO4ALL driver?

steevc
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by steevc » Thu May 22, 2008 3:14 am

I had a thought about whether there should be a wiki linked to this forum to act as an easy reference for tips etc. Searching old posts can work, but information can get out of date. I would be happy to contribute. Anyone else?

The FAQs on the Zoom site are pretty good and got translated to English at some point. Obviously they will not point out flaws with the products.

--
Steve

zH(eath)4
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: Zoom H4 & H2 FAQ and favorite threads

Post by zH(eath)4 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:20 am

just to let you know the first link from "the sound professionals" isn't working now

iamkalaniprince
new to this board
new to this board

Post by iamkalaniprince » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:59 am

Redhead Windscreens for you Zoom H4n & H2 : http://www.redheadwindscreens.com

Much love and Aloha !, Kalani-
http://www.redheadwindscreens.com Custom windscreens for your Zoom Handheld Recorder.

wqcr
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by wqcr » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:28 am

Hi,
some days ago I wrote article how to remove unwanted 700Hz tone in H4 using external battery pack. Someone can find this useful: http://www.zoomforum.us/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13652

Danno
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Danno » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:42 pm

Can someone please translate this translation from the good Zoom people from JP:

A: When H4 you use, as the USB audio device sound of the personal computer is output from H4. The speaker please is not the personal computer, connects with the output of H4.

Huh??? Uh, my brain hurts...

dO/