R8 guitar effects add stereo possible?

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
huggy70
new to this board
new to this board

R8 guitar effects add stereo possible?

Post by huggy70 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:37 am

Hi, I bought an r8 two weeks ago mainly to record guitar and use the inbuilt drum kit.

Now I found out that I do really like the guitar amp effects of the r8, even more than my foot pedal :D . The problem is I cannot figure out how to add some nice Stereo effect (chorus/delay) without first bouncing the track. Is that even possible?

Before R8 my Signal went from guitar->foot pedal->Alesis Quadraverb mono Input (add nice stereo effects here with Chorus/delay :D )->Stereo ouput

Ok I could record the Stereo from the quadraverb but then I cannot use the built in amp effects. Would be nice to have it all in one box.
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: R8 guitar effects add stereo possible?

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:11 am

Send/Return effects "bleed off" some of all track output (amount of each track depends on the track send-level parameter), applies the effect to that combined mix, and sends the result to the Master fader/output.

So, yes -- the only way to lock-in a send/return effect is to bounce the source tracks into a stereo-pair (I've not played with the send/return effect, so I'm presuming the Chorus/Delay module does produce a stereo output; if it doesn't I don't know how to "add stereo" -- after all, making a duplicate of the mono input and panning to opposite sides is still a mono signal just taking twice as much memory and processing).

Insert effects won't do it -- they are, for the most part, single track mono-in/mono-out. The exceptions being the dual-mic, stereo, and mastering chains -- which expect two inputs and two outputs.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

huggy70
new to this board
new to this board

Post by huggy70 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:48 am

thanks for clarification ! I hoped I missed sth. here but bouncing and fiddling with the effects seems too awkward for me here (for guitar recording).
I will have to look for a better foot pedal and concentrate on just recording with the r8 for guitar I think. I don't want to put my tube amp back in action here and didn't notice that amp simulation these days sounds somewhat like a real amp :-)
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:34 pm

Remember that you can adjust the parameters of the (preamp module) in the relevant INSERT effects: Gain (distortion?), tone, simulated speaker cabinet type. Something might be passable <G> My orientation is more acoustic so wide/flat frequency response is favored over traditional narrower frequency electric with distortion (eg: minimal amp toning) {and not the Zoom "Acoustic Sim" as that is meant to massage an electric guitar into sounding more like an acoustic}
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards