R24 battery life for just date and time?

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
RoadRanger
new to this board
new to this board

R24 battery life for just date and time?

Post by RoadRanger » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:34 pm

I guess the R24 needs batteries just to keep the date and time running when unplugged - is there anything else the batteries are needed for when switched off?

Anybody know how long a set of alkaline batteries will last if you never switch it on without AC power?

How about with cheap non-alkaline batteries? Any good reason not to use these?

Can you observe the battery status when on AC power somehow?
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Re: R24 battery life for just date and time?

Post by Jim_Fogle » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Zoom's webpage says, "Battery life when using alkaline batteries is more than 4.5 hours, even during continuous recording." Black carbon (inexpensive) batteries will not last as long. If you're using nickel metal hybrid batteries you will need to set the battery type for the battery charge display to properly work. Setting battery type is on page 103 of the R24 operation manual.

The operation manual says the R24 shipped with an AC adapter. When you're using AC power, no battery charge level is displayed.

If no power is supplied to the unit for more than a minute, the DATE/TIME setting will be reset to its initial value.
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

RoadRanger
new to this board
new to this board

Post by RoadRanger » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:12 pm

^ Yah, but my question was how long will the date and time keep running on a set of batteries with the R24 switched OFF ?
:)
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:55 am

RoadRanger wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:12 pm
^ Yah, but my question was how long will the date and time keep running on a set of batteries with the R24 switched OFF ?
:)
Long enough that you should be following the instructions on page 1 of the manual...

Power requirements
Operation using batteries
  • When not using the unit for an extended period of time, remove the batteries from the unit
They aren't going to go dead overnight, and probably would last over a month (consider, RTC chips commonly run for a year or more using a flat disk cell of a few hundred mAh, and a set of alkaline AAs should be 2500mAh or more).
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

TheOldGuy
new to this board
new to this board

Post by TheOldGuy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:04 am

I put batteries in my R24 for exactly this purpose over 6 months ago and the time and date are still set. (Well, the time has drifted a bit, and note that the system does NOT seem to know about daylight saving time, so it's currently 1 hr. slow.) I don't know of a way to predict how long they'll last, but my guess is that it would be measured in years with good quality alkaline batteries.

I don't think there's a way to check the remaining charge. I just try powering up the unit on batteries now and then (i.e. without the wall power adapter plugged in). If it boots up, they're fine. If not, it's time to replace them.

All of that having been said, you MUST check the battery compartment now and then to make sure the batteries aren't leaking. I'd definitely follow the advice in the manual (and Wulfraed's) to remove the batteries if you know you're not going to use the unit for a while. The hassle of setting the date and time is far less than the pain of damage from leaking batteries.

--
TOG
2 x

RoadRanger
new to this board
new to this board

Post by RoadRanger » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:11 am

Thanks!
0 x

sciurius
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by sciurius » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:44 pm

Fortunately setting time/date is fairly easy thanks to the jog wheel.
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:55 pm

Coming in late:
TheOldGuy wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:04 am
I don't think there's a way to check the remaining charge. I just try powering up the unit on batteries now and then (i.e. without the wall power adapter plugged in). If it boots up, they're fine. If not, it's time to replace them.
Yeah, one does have to power the unit on, using batteries, but once on there is a 4-stage battery capacity indicator (though stage 4 is "empty" and the unit goes into automatic power-down). cf: Manual page 13
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards