Need help - R24 Mastering Effects

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
yodaspeak
member in good standing
member in good standing

Need help - R24 Mastering Effects

Post by yodaspeak » Thu May 17, 2018 10:33 pm

Hi -

I'm going to lay out the steps that I have taken for a recent project. The new variable is trying to use a "mastering effect". Previously I have never used this.

1. Record all tracks, obviously.
2. Process the mix by listening and adjusting all track levels, pans, etc.
3. Employ the mastering effects now, listen to which one I want. Pick one. It really does pump up the gain, so I did have to pull down the master faders a bit to get out of the "red"
4. Click master track to "record" (yes, the red light).
5. When it's done and I click the master track back to green light to listen, the volume levels are way down. This seems odd.

What did I do wrong in my work flow?
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Need help - R24 Mastering Effects

Post by Wulfraed » Fri May 18, 2018 10:40 am

yodaspeak wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:33 pm
3. Employ the mastering effects now, listen to which one I want. Pick one. It really does pump up the gain, so I did have to pull down the master faders a bit to get out of the "red"
That may not be the one you want to reduce... Page 45 ("Note") warns that you might get distortion from the mastering effect and for that you need to lower the faders on the /source/ tracks, not the master (which is after the effect). (Though Page 46 does also adjust using just the Master fader)

And I presume you do have the effect source set to "master" (again, page 45, #4)
I presume you also did a rewind back to the start of the project, AND that you used the two-button (REC+PLAY) procedure to feed the tracks to the master. Just setting the master to RED and hitting PLAY will not result in creating a master track.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

yodaspeak
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by yodaspeak » Fri May 18, 2018 11:25 am

thanks for the reply - see below in red
Wulfraed wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:40 am
yodaspeak wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:33 pm
That may not be the one you want to reduce... Page 45 ("Note") warns that you might get distortion from the mastering effect and for that you need to lower the faders on the /source/ tracks, not the master (which is after the effect). (Though Page 46 does also adjust using just the Master fader) Here's my take. When I looked at the levels of the individual track faders, none were close to being "in the red". Only the Master levels were in the red. So I pulled those down from 0. I could try each individual track, but since they were NOT in the red, I have no reference point to work with.

And I presume you do have the effect source set to "master" (again, page 45, #4) Yes.
I presume you also did a rewind back to the start of the project, AND that you used the two-button (REC+PLAY) procedure to feed the tracks to the master. Just setting the master to RED and hitting PLAY will not result in creating a master track.
Yes, I've made master recordings before. It just seems very strange. I would expect the levels that I hear during the master recording should be exactly what I hear when I play the master recording back on the R24. If someone says "No, it won't work that way if you use a mastering effect" then OK. But it usually does each time I have recorded a master and listented back to it (WITHOUT A MASTERING EFFECT). The addition of the mastering effect is the only variable I've changed here.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Fri May 18, 2018 2:05 pm

What is the output LEVEL of the Mastering effect (page 83). And make sure you don't have the unit set for "dry" (page 87).

At least the R-series doesn't have the complication of the HDx -- where once could set the meter to /before/ or /after/ fader.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

yodaspeak
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by yodaspeak » Fri May 18, 2018 3:12 pm

Yes, thanks. I'll check those this weekend.
0 x

MoonBassAlpha
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by MoonBassAlpha » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:46 pm

You need to set the mastering source to the master tracks. You can allocate it to the input or any individual track, but the Master is probably what you're after.
0 x
R24, MRS1608, (MRS1266 -For Sale)