Zoom R16 - External Drum Machine options

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
ELVIS
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom R16 - External Drum Machine options

Post by ELVIS » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:39 am

Hi Folks, not been on here for a long time but getting back into home recording. I'm trying to find an affordable external drum machine to connect with my R16. I also have an old Zoom MRS802CD which has a drum machine. Can this be used? Recommendations please? Thanks.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Zoom R16 - External Drum Machine options

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:54 am

Since the R16 lacks any MIDI based features (other than the master/slave linked R16 recording mode) there would be no way to have a drum-machine triggered by operations on the R16. I've not heard of anyone managing to fool an R16 into using the linked-mode transport controls to trigger any other MIDI device.

You would have to lay-out the entire performance on the drum machine, and then record that as a track (probably linked stereo pair if the drum machine emulates drum placement). As such, /any/ drum machine with line outputs could be used (speaker outs could be used at a stretch, but setting output volume and input gains properly could get tedious -- by definition line outs are fixed level, so once you know the needed input gain for the device it should never change).
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

ELVIS
new to this board
new to this board

Post by ELVIS » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:40 am

Thanks Wulfraed. I thought I came across a Youtube video a while back where an old Zoom Rhythym Track 234 was linked to an R16 which recorded the drum as a single track (e.g. a basic drum beat - not a bespoke drum sequence). Is that what you mean? Assuming the 234 is now an obsolete model, what drum machine model (Zoom or otherwise) would be compatible with the R16 to achieve this? Thanks.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:10 am

ELVIS wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:40 am
Thanks Wulfraed. I thought I came across a Youtube video a while back where an old Zoom Rhythym Track 234 was linked to an R16 which recorded the drum as a single track (e.g. a basic drum beat - not a bespoke drum sequence). Is that what you mean? Assuming the 234 is now an obsolete model, what drum machine model (Zoom or otherwise) would be compatible with the R16 to achieve this? Thanks.
Any device with a line-out jack. It is just another audio track to the R16 -- you could put a microphone over any built-in speaker on the drum-machine as a last-ditch effort (though the room noise might interfere). The drum machine will have to be set to "play" the entire song arrangement, and making any changes will require re-recording the entire track again.

R16 manual page 11 -- INPUTS category #3 (replace "synthesizer" with "drum machine").

You have to remember that such a track is not automatically synchronized to the start of the R16 tracks (the first beat may not align with the measure/note/fraction display if there is a time delay between hitting <record> on the R16 and <play> on the drum machine; you may have to adjust/trim the track start if you need alignment)
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

mikethebass
dues paid
dues paid

Post by mikethebass » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:37 am

Hello Elvis,

I've used my R16 for a long time now.

I use a Yamaha RX8 drum machine which I believe dates back to the 80s
This particular machine gives me a couple of options.

1 It has a midi output so I can send the midi to a Yamaha tone generator of about the same vintage and send the stereo audio to the R16.

2 Alternatively the machine has Left and Right outputs and Aux 1 and Aux 2. Each voice can be sent to a different output BD on L SD on R etc. It allows me to record a basic groove on 4 individual tracks as audio. Fills I record as overdubs playing the pads.

On recent tracks I've tended to use the R16 as an interface for my DAW Reaper and used Midi drums.
0 x

ELVIS
new to this board
new to this board

Post by ELVIS » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:04 am

Great, thanks guys for the further info. Time to go shopping!

P.S. Happy Anniversary today to the REAL Elvis :)
0 x