R-16 Driver problem with Mac OS Mojave

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
MABOU2
new to this board
new to this board

R-16 Driver problem with Mac OS Mojave

Post by MABOU2 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:43 pm

Hi all,
New to this forum... so glad to be here.

I recently purchased the R-16. I installed the latest Audio driver from the Zoom website. When I rebooted my computer, it would only go as far as the Apple Logo. The progress bar across the screen slowed to a crawl about half way, then over a few minutes finally filled, but the computer never booted. Even after letting it sit for an hour.

Several attempts to reboot met the same fate, not able to boot the computer.

There is also no boot chime, which normally comes before the Apple logo appears.

I was able to boot the computer as a Target Disk while connected to a second computer. This allowed me to dig into the OS and manually delete all of the Zoom Audio Driver R-16 files. Now my computer is good again.

That said, I am not able to get the R-16 to communicate with my computer now, since there is no Audio Driver.

Any thoughts, workarounds, insights?
Thanks again,
Matt
0 x

mikethebass
dues paid
dues paid

Re: R-16 Driver problem with Mac OS Mojave

Post by mikethebass » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Welcome,

I'm fairly certain that others have been able to run an R16 on a Mac though I don't know what OS. I'm a Windows user so can't offer any real assistance.
0 x

MABOU2
new to this board
new to this board

Post by MABOU2 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:49 pm

Hi Mikethebass.... Yup, the problem is with the latest Mac OS... Even Zooms own documentation shows Mojave as "Still Testing"
0 x

hoodoo voodoo
dues paid
dues paid

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:57 am

MABOU2 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:49 pm
Hi Mikethebass.... Yup, the problem is with the latest Mac OS... Even Zooms own documentation shows Mojave as "Still Testing"
it might be worth contacting the Zoom US support team, via email or phone...they are quite helpful. They should be able to confirm the situation...and give you a summary of their progress in resolving it to date.

One solution could be to install a second boot version of OSX on your mac, one that has proven to work with the Zoom, and to run with that as the OS until they repair the Mojave compatibility (eg Yosemite, Sierra) Thus...don't wipe Mojave and go back to an earlier OSX, but rather install the older alongside Mojave, as a dual boot possibility.

You could also run Bootcamp and install a PC OS eg Windows XP or 7 which will also work with the Zoom recorder. However I'd contact Zoom Us Support first, and try to get an estimated time for the Mojave fix
0 x

hoodoo voodoo
dues paid
dues paid

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:18 pm

could also be related to a recent Mojave update....see this thread in another forum: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/cockos- ... ecord.html
0 x

MABOU2
new to this board
new to this board

Post by MABOU2 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:17 am

UPDATE (sorta): I've been communicating with Zoom tech support. They are working on a possible update to the driver for Mojave, though they are not very forthcoming with any details. They said they have no ETA for when it will go public, and they won't say if they are actually working on one or not, they only say they are testing to see if the current Audio Driver works with Mojave.
0 x

pmaggie
new to this board
new to this board

Post by pmaggie » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:15 am

Hi, I just had a look to the Zoom site: in a news dated March 15 they declare R16/R24 as "compatible: YES (Updated)". In the support+downloads there's a driver install file called E_R16_R24_driver_mac_v1.5.0_1.zip. Is please the one you installed or it's already the updated one?
I'd also like to upgrade to Mojave but I want to be sure that everything is working fine.

Thanks a lot!
0 x

hoodoo voodoo
dues paid
dues paid

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:17 am

This is another issue, the R16/24 not being recognized in High Sierra...not sure if it's relevant to the current problem: >>>> https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/fi ... a_en_8.pdf

The current versions of driver (vers 2.1) and firmware (vers 1.21) can be found here:>>>> https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/multi-t ... #downloads
0 x

MABOU2
new to this board
new to this board

Post by MABOU2 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:32 am

Rats... Zoom has indeed updated their R-16 page and says that the current driver (which was last updated in 2015) IS compatible with Mojave. They now list the compatibility as 10.9 to 10.14.

SO, I guess I will try to reinstall the Audio Driver on Mojave... (dang it). Maybe something just went wrong with the previous attempt to install. I'll let you know how it goes.
0 x

pmaggie
new to this board
new to this board

Post by pmaggie » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:50 am

Thanks a lot Mabou!
0 x

MABOU2
new to this board
new to this board

Post by MABOU2 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:51 am

UPDATE: PROBLEM GONE
Well, all of my blather was for nothing. I reinstalled the same audio driver on Mojave and it works perfectly this time. I'm thinking that I didn't follow the rules when I installed the first time. I have no doubt whatsoever that I had the R-16 connected via USB when I ran the installer. Whether this could cause the problems I ran into or not is unknown. But the only thing that was different with this successful install vs the previous disastrous install was that the R-16 was connected the first time and nothing was connected this time.

So, not that this is a 100% guarantee (because I have no real proof that the R-16 connection was the problem), but be sure to have nothing connected to your computer when you install the Zoom Audio Driver.

The USB interface now works perfectly. The sliders move the sliders in Logic Pro... the REC/MUTE/SOLO buttons work, the shuttle wheel works, so do the transport controls. Even the F-keys work to cycle through different window configurations. Pretty cool stuff.

Thanks for all of your input, much appreciated, and helped to solve the problem.
You guys rock.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:44 pm

MABOU2 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:51 am
So, not that this is a 100% guarantee (because I have no real proof that the R-16 connection was the problem), but be sure to have nothing connected to your computer when you install the Zoom Audio Driver.
Odds are good that the OS saw a connected USB device, and loaded a best guess driver for it. That was then registered for the device, so even though you installed the correct driver files, subsequent connects were finding the previously registered incorrect driver.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards