HD8CD vs HD16CD?

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
nr3685
new to this board
new to this board

HD8CD vs HD16CD?

Post by nr3685 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:02 am

Hello!

I am seriously considering investing in this unit, but I am still not sure which version I should get.

I am a guitar player who wants to use it to record myself singing or playing at home, either connecting directly into the unit or by miking my amp.

Do I really need the 16 channel version? Of course the 8 input option is useful for more advanced recording situations, but I can't really see myself using it at home. Are there other things I would be missing when buying the smaller version? From what I have gathered there doesn't seem to be any other differences than the 8 vs 2 inputs?

Best regards, Lars
0 x

dgleason
been here a while
been here a while

Post by dgleason » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:08 am

They are pretty much the same except for:

HD16 has a subout, records 8 instead of 2 at a time and a few more effects.

You can download the HD8/HD16 manual and search it on "only>>" to find all the things that are different between the 2 units.

Price difference in the US is about $150. Have seen several ebay sellers take $600 on those best offer buy it now sales.
0 x
Dave
HD16CD

Ron Paul
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Ron Paul » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:08 pm

The day may come when you'll want to record all your buddies at the same time and your going to kick yourself very hard if you don't have those extra channels.

I don't use them very often either, but they are there when the time comes.

Other than that, the only other difference is their size.
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 pm

Ron Paul wrote:...the only other difference is their size.
And we all know that counts, eh? ;)

I've been torn between the two as well!!!

On the one hand I know I'll never use all the inputs, but I can most certainly use the tracks (for stereo git and voc tracks and layered backups vox). That's not to say I couldn't bounce the way I did with the MRS8, but it's easier not to. But then the 8 is much easier to have on one's lap while thumping (beats, thumping out beats...) and I'd rather have a more portable unit than not and it's anywhere from 150-200 bucks cheaper...

I'm leaning towards the 16 for the pure reason that I won't have to bounce and that truly is a luxury in and of itself. I'm really hoping not to have to do any mixing or editing on PC so... yeah -- 16!

Ask me again later though. :roll:

PS
Buy the 16 at Guitar Center and use it for less than 30 days. You decide you don't need them all? Return it for an 8 and the difference.
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

bebop
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by bebop » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:17 pm

Up until very recently i did all my recording on a Yamaha MD8 machine, 8 tracks recorded onto special minidiscs. I thought it was the bees knees after using 4 track cassette recorders for years.
I was used to having to bounce tracks and thinking out arrangements well in advance, planning out the track allocation etc.

Now i've got an HD16 and i'm so, sooooooo chuffed coz i no longer have to do all planning, i just do the music. Its fab !
Basically i'm saying its all relative. You can only see the problems with hindsight. I was happy with 4 tracks, i'm delirious with 16, no doubt my head would spontaneously combust with 24.
0 x