Few questions before ordering an HD16

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
yohan
new to this board
new to this board

Few questions before ordering an HD16

Post by yohan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:04 am

Hi all. I'm new here and I'm planning to buy an HD16 but before I'm placing my order I have some questions which I hope some of you can answer.

1: Since I have absolutely no use for the CD Writer I was wondering if there even is a model without it. On the Zoom site it says there is but I have yet to see a store which is selling them. Even if it would only save me $50 or so it would be welcome 'cause I'm not gonna use it anyway.

2: Are the effects on the HD16 stereo? So can I record a mono channel, add an effect with stereo sound and bounce it to a stereo track?

3: Can the HD be replaced with a standard IDE version with larger capacity (for future expension perhaps)? Or are there special sectors on the HD which can't be copied to another HD?

4: I read a july 2007 review in MusicTech Magazine (http://www.musictechmag.co.uk/mtm/reviews/hd16) which said that one of the disadvantages is that it doesn't haave any S/PDIF connections. The tech specs say it does have a S/PDIF connection though and I can clearly see it on the pictures. Was this added on a later revision of the machine or is the review wrong?

5: Can the S/PDIF output only be used as the Master output or are you free to assign other channels to this output as well?

6: Can the bass sounds be expanded with sampled sounds just like you can do with the drum sounds?

That's about it but I might come up with some other questions. I hope anyone can help me because I hardly can wait to buy this thing and get recording.

Thanks in advance.
0 x

bebop
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by bebop » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:34 pm

Hi Yohan, good to hear from you.

There are way more knowledgable people than me on this forum so hang around a bit and i'm sure your more technical questions will get an answer.

For me buying the HD16 was one of the best things i ever did. Its an astonishingly good unit, reliable, flexible, great sound.

I haven't used my Zoom cd writer. There have been a few comments on the forum saying that low master recording levels are a problem which has put me off a bit. I use a seperate cd writer with more control over the recording level.

Yeh, the effects are stereo. I havent tried it but I'm sure its possible to record mono then bounce that track with effects onto one of the stereo tracks.

As you've pointed out you can add new drum sounds of your own on the HD16. If you put in your own bass notes and designate them to seperate pads in a kit you can have a bass kit.

I can't really answer your other questions but, like i said, hang around, you'll get answers soon enough.
0 x
Dave

http://members.soundclick.com/FAIR+FAITH

"HIGHLY POSITIVE-FLOW IN DESIGN." said TONTO

"A TOTALLY ARTIFICIAL PRODUCTION AESTHETIC" said ZEPPELIN

yohan
new to this board
new to this board

Post by yohan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:30 pm

Hi Dave, thanks for the answers.
Great to hear that you can use the bass line with other sounds as well. So actually you can use the bass computer as a sequencer for samples?
0 x

Henky
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Henky » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:49 pm

Hi Yohan,

Yeah there is a S/PDIF out (not in :cry:) and it is linked to the master bus, but you could always mute all the other tracks to "assign" other channels to this output.
However why would you want to use this S/PDIF for separate tracks because you can just copy a wav file (it is stored that way) for every single track via USB.
0 x

yohan
new to this board
new to this board

Post by yohan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:51 pm

Hello Henky.
Well, I was just curious about the possibilities but of course you're right; there's no need to assign certain channels to the S/PDIF output.
I think I've decided already and going to order it tomorrow. Anyone know a better price than 717 Euro including shipping? (don't start about Japan please, I know it's only 350 Euros there :()
0 x