Comparing MRS-8 and the HD8/16 series for synth recording

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Terfyn
member in good standing
member in good standing

Comparing MRS-8 and the HD8/16 series for synth recording

Post by Terfyn » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:33 am

I may be asking this question for the nth time but here goes.
I use a Yamaha EL-900 "organ", two spinet keyboards and pedalboard for music making and soundtracks for my Video hobby. The EL is s stereo device
I am looking for a recording system to expand the sound from the EL (at present two hands and a foot!) By mixing down multiple tracks. For example, at present it is difficult to add a solo to an orchestral backing as I would need to over record on the backing. The EL is "complete" in as much as it has rhythm and a good drum set that can be Midi controlled.

I am looking at the MRS-8, the HD8 and the HD16 and requesting advice on the "best fit" for the recording I want to do. I already have an H2 which I use primarily for backing sound and for transferring simple EL recordings to my computer. So I am SD card orientated but with CD input or USB input as an option.

If anyone has any comments as to the best way to go or can direct me to a comparison of the three units, it would be much appreciated.
Mike.
0 x

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

Post by storpotaten » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:49 pm

Mike, I'm in no position to compare these devices as I don't own any of them. Just wanted to say that I hear the MRS-8 is no longer produced (you could probably find it second hand), if that makes your decision easier.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:10 am

storpotaten wrote:I hear the MRS-8 is no longer produced
Where did you hear this?
I didn't see anything on zoom.co.jp about it being discontinued.
A quick search on google.co.uk shows it's still being offered by music stores over there.
0 x

Terfyn
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Terfyn » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:23 am

I have noticed that the MRS-8 is now in the "sale" list of my supplier IMuso of Surrey England which would suggest that the unit is reaching the end of its useful life. It is for sale at £169.
With my video editing hobby, I need a means of synchronising sound and video, especially for the spoken word. I have now decided to go for the HD8 or the HD16 as both have stretch/compress facilities.
I now have to decide if the HV16 is worth the extra £150 :banana:
0 x

Rup
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Rup » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:08 am

I guess Zoom will keep offering the MRS-8 if people keep buying it.

To answer the original question, either 8-track machine will enable you to record up to 4 tracks in stereo before you have to start bouncing or transfering to computer. The 16-track unit will give you up to 8 stereo tracks. This is probably your primary consideration.

Rupert
0 x

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

Post by storpotaten » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:27 pm

lucas wrote:
storpotaten wrote:I hear the MRS-8 is no longer produced
Where did you hear this?
I didn't see anything on zoom.co.jp about it being discontinued.
I wouldn't trust the Zoom site to be the best updated.

I heard it from a friend who is trying to buy one here in France and it looks like he will do it second-hand.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:24 pm

storpotaten wrote:like he will do it second-hand.
www.google.fr turned up www.feelmusic.fr

" http://www.feelmusic.fr/achat-vente,hom ... ,3903.html "
"
http://www.sonovente.com/sonorisation/z ... d,8236.htm "

" http://www.thomann.de/fr/zoom_mrs_8sd.h ... r_id=25293 "

BTW, has anyone checked out the TASCAM DP-02 CF?
there's also DP-02 version with a cd burner & a hard drive.
0 x

GrantsV
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Comparing MRS-8 and the HD8/16 series for synth recording

Post by GrantsV » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:57 pm

The Tascam has hardly any features, just a straight up recorder. The MRS8 has a boat load of stuff onboard. No comparison get the MRS8.
0 x
No.1 Place For Guitar strings - www.advantageguitar.com

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:56 am

Terfyn wrote: I am looking at the MRS-8, the HD8 and the HD16 and requesting advice on the "best fit" for the recording I want to do. I already have an H2 which I use primarily for backing sound and for transferring simple EL recordings to my computer. So I am SD card orientated but with CD input or USB input as an option.

If anyone has any comments as to the best way to go or can direct me to a comparison of the three units, it would be much appreciated.
Mike.
Bottom up:

Hit the Zoom (Japan) site and download the manuals (note: the HD8 and HD16 use the same manual) for comparison.

As I recall, the MRS series uses some proprietary file format and you need a converter program to convert them to WAV if you want to transfer the raw tracks to a computer.

The HDx record tracks as mono 16-bit/44.1kHz WAV format.

The primary difference between the HD8 and HD16 is... well, twice the effective tracks (8 mono and 4 stereo for the HD16)... And FOUR times the input slots for XLR-1/4" equipment (but if you are connecting a keyboard, you are likely using the single stereo line-in pair) -- oh, and the HD16 CAN do an 8-in parallel mode.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri May 29, 2009 6:58 pm

I don't have a HD8/16 but do have a MRS-8 so here are my thoughts.

You may find the MIDI out port on the MRS-8 to be useful. You can use MIDI to syncronize your keyboard and MRS-8 transport controls (start, stop, rewind, record). Drum and bass patterns are also transmitted.

The pads can be used to trigger your keyboard's drum sounds.

The effect and recording althorythmns can be used to modify or enhance your keyboard sounds.

The MRS-8 can be battery operated and is portable. If nothing else, you can "attach" the MRS-8 to your keyboard by utilizing the keyboard music stand slots. (This would be hard-to-do with the HD8/16).

Jim Fogle
0 x