Zoom R16 Close Up Pics Shows Metronome - updated

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Lee
The Force
The Force

Zoom R16 Close Up Pics Shows Metronome - updated

Post by Lee » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:48 am

Last edited by Lee on Sun May 17, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

Incognito
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: Zoom R16 Close Up Pics Shows Metronome

Post by Incognito » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:04 pm

Good find on the pictures. It also shows the absence of a solo button which is kind of a bummer and it looks like every channel doesn't have phantom. But the bright side is theres 2 banks, 1-8 and 9-16, so it looks like 8 tracks at a time recording but holds 16. Wish they'd release more info or a shipping date cause I'm holding off getting an h4n to see whats up with this thing.
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:23 pm

Incognito wrote:It also shows the absence of a solo button which is kind of a bummer...
Good point. Looks like each channel has a "mute" option instead. The impedance, phantom, mic, and metronome switches look really cheap and seem to have very little travel. Looks can be deceiving I guess.

It reminds me of the Tascam Portastudio I use to have. Hate to beat a dead horse but I still can't understand the built-in mics but no (apparent) drum machine. I suppose folks who hate loops and lack a decent drum solution can resort to human beat-boxing with in stereo with inputs seven and eight.

PS
It's not that I don't like the mics, but a simple drum machine (let the option buttons second as the inputs/"pads") with F.A.S.T. and a MIDI out (via USB) would take it to the next level.
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

Incognito
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Incognito » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:12 pm

Yeah the mics are kinda weird. I mean its def a good thing to have some mics on there so you can record an acoustic set or something in stereo by just putting the thing on a table and hitting record like an h2 or h4n. But the thing with the h2 or h4n is that they use an xy pattern for the mics and the r16 is a stereo pair with no option to change the distance between the spacing since they're on the handles. So if you get phase or are recording a loud band you're pretty stuck, stereo image probably wouldn't be too wide either.

A drum machine would be a good addition but if they did put one in I doubt it'd be anything really usable, probably more like a fancy metronome.

But its not a big deal because the major selling point is that its a portable 8 track that you can take anywhere. It'll have flimsy buttons, plastic case and no extras but you get an 8track for $400 and its convenient for a band gigging and rehearsing in different places. The portastudio wasn't the greatest thing in the world but John Frusciante recorded his first 2 albums on it.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:13 pm

Yeah, I think I spent about $500 on my Yamaha cassette 4-track in the 80s. Look what that money can buy you now (even before you adjust for inflation). There's definitely a market for a good stand alone recorder like this. Carry it along to the practice space and record rehearsal. Take it to the show and record the show. Take it back home and record your album. Good stuff.
0 x

Incognito
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Incognito » Tue May 05, 2009 3:35 am

zzounds has it coming in May 24th, sick.

http://www.zzounds.com/a--3853/item--ZOMR16
0 x

SkipKent
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by SkipKent » Fri May 15, 2009 11:07 am

I am in love with this thing already!

I've been hoping for someone to build an 8 input standalone recorder that records to SD cards instead of internal failure-prone hard drives. House-keeping of internal hard drives is a chore on virtually all standalone recorders, and SD cards are big enough now to easily satisfy anyone's space req's. I also prefer passing an SD card to a simple usb reader rather than having to move the entire machine to make the connection.

That it doubles as an 8 input pc audio interface is just too damn much. For $399!

I am SO glad I haven't invested in an 8 input usb/firewire device yet. This is IT!

Two of these can also be linked via usb for 16 track recording. Wacky!
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Fri May 15, 2009 11:31 am

I think you pretty well summed it up. I think there are many people for whom this is a perfect solution.

In related news, I've made inquiries regarding when we can get our hands on the R16 manual and received this information:
Top Secret Inside Source wrote:we actually don't have the R16 manual yet, it should be shipping late June/July so I'm sure documentation will appear some time within the next few weeks. Keep an eye on zoom.co.jp as it will be posted there first.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Fri May 15, 2009 11:24 pm

SkipKent wrote:I am in love with this thing already!
Note that there are no on/off buttons for the inputs... This unit does not, it appears, do routing -- the inputs seem to be tied directly to the tracks, similar to the HD16 8-input mode. If you arm a track for record, you better have a microphone on the associated input... (Haven't seen any reports of v-takes either, bouncing seems to go to the master only... the built-in microphones are tied to input 7&8 -- I'm of the impression this device is truly meant for multi-input live recording, and is not really optimized for recording parts in sequence -- especially if no routing; record track one... rewind, move microphone to input 2, record track two...)
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

brandon
dues paid
dues paid

Post by brandon » Sat May 16, 2009 8:57 am

Wulfraed wrote:
SkipKent wrote:I am in love with this thing already!
Note that there are no on/off buttons for the inputs... This unit does not, it appears, do routing -- the inputs seem to be tied directly to the tracks, similar to the HD16 8-input mode. If you arm a track for record, you better have a microphone on the associated input... (Haven't seen any reports of v-takes either, bouncing seems to go to the master only... the built-in microphones are tied to input 7&8 -- I'm of the impression this device is truly meant for multi-input live recording, and is not really optimized for recording parts in sequence -- especially if no routing; record track one... rewind, move microphone to input 2, record track two...)

Just what have Zoom got themselves in to? They had a the perfect opportunity to produce one of the best (if not the best) ever multi-track solid state recorders. All they had to do was improve on the HD16 and instead of using the HD - use SD technology instead. I don't think it would have taken rocket scientists to perform this feat. They could have made it trully portable and robust enough to take a few knocks - but what have we got? Well we don't really know yet and by the way things are going, neither do Zoom.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Sat May 16, 2009 2:03 pm

brandon wrote:ust what have Zoom got themselves in to? They had a the perfect opportunity to produce one of the best (if not the best) ever multi-track solid state recorders. All they had to do was improve on the HD16 and instead of using the HD - use SD technology instead. I don't think it would have taken rocket scientists to perform this feat. They could have made it trully portable and robust enough to take a few knocks - but what have we got? Well we don't really know yet and by the way things are going, neither do Zoom.
Off-hand: a device optimized for 8-input live mixing -- with supplemental track recording of those inputs; DAW control panel, and 8-input computer audio interface.

I don't think their target audience was the all-in-one audio workstation crowd.

Of course -- this is all hypothetical until the manual PDF is available for download. On my part -- other than the limited supply of phantom power, the R16 looks to be closer to the device I wanted when I bought the HD16: something that could (potentially, since I've not done a production yet) be used to record for video surround... a few inputs for ambient/surround sound, a few perhaps for wireless lavaliere microphones on the performers, and maybe a focused (stereo)shotgun for those that don't have lapel mics...

Battery powered, would go well with battery powered video camera...
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

SpacePig
new to this board
new to this board

Post by SpacePig » Wed May 20, 2009 5:11 am

+1999907

But that makes it all the more mentally bizarre that they have ceased production of the all in one audio workstations!

I myself am beginning to warm to the "idea" of what the R16 may turn out to be. Though its a pretty vague idea it this point. Must admit it doesnt look particularly tough for something destined to be thrown around the rehearsal room.
0 x

brandon
dues paid
dues paid

Post by brandon » Wed May 20, 2009 5:48 am

SpacePig wrote:
+1999907

But that makes it all the more mentally bizarre that they have ceased production of the all in one audio workstations!

I myself am beginning to warm to the "idea" of what the R16 may turn out to be. Though its a pretty vague idea it this point. Must admit it doesnt look particularly tough for something destined to be thrown around the rehearsal room.

It has to be tougher than the HD16 which apparently locks out when positioned near (within the same room) as a drum kit!) :-)
0 x

Armin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Zoom R16 Close Up Pics Shows Metronome - updated

Post by Armin » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:21 pm

Thimes have changed a lot between MRS recorders and now (R16).

While in the old days ALL was done on the (hardware) recorders - today more and more is done in the DAW.

See it like this:
1)
All the inbuilt drums&bass stuff can not compete to external DAW drums solutions.
Both for sounds, programming and flexibility.

2)
The R16 can be used as a 8 channel input audio interface for your DAW.

3)
The R16 can hold up to 16 tracks / 8 recoded at once in any location were you can't/want to take your DAW with you.

4)
8 Track recoding, batterie powered, no sensitive harddisk

5)
Easy transfer of wav files to and from your DAW

6)
Use the R16 later as control surface for your DAW

All this is very nice for the workflow of many users.

btw. you will be able to create 16 guitar only tracks with the R16 also ;-)
0 x
Upgrade your Zoom R8 / R24 / HD16 / HD8 / MRS / PS04 / PS02 : http://www.soundside.de

Do you own a Kemper Profiling Amp? Check this out: http://www.soundside.de/shop/Profiles.htm

beck

Post by beck » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:55 pm

I'm holding out for a 4-track version that has FAST drums. I disagree with Armin, there are those of us who spend entirely too much time in front of PC's at work, don't want a DAW solution, and don't care if the drums sounds aren't 'quite as good' as the PC, as long as they are decent. For song-writing in decent quality, it's hateful to sit at a PC (or a laptop IMO). I want a pocket recorder about the size of the Micro Br with a decent Mic, good drum sounds that can be sampled as well, and drum buttons (like what Lee posted about). It could do the 4 sliders like the PS-04 and then have 4 more tracks accessible via menus. Most of us have fleeting time due to family and other constraints and the original idea of the PS-04 was awesome, take a full (fully programmable drums, bass, send+mastering effects all in one box as opposed to a simple recorder like the H4) studio in your pocket for use whenever you've got a few minutes. Look at the numbers of folks who bought the micro-br, there is a market for another pocket STUDIO (not a recorder ZOOM!) Just my 5 cents (inflation).
0 x
hear my tunes at

www.mattbecker.com

Armin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Armin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:15 pm

Do you know any new multi track recorder with drums introduced in the last year ?
0 x
Upgrade your Zoom R8 / R24 / HD16 / HD8 / MRS / PS04 / PS02 : http://www.soundside.de

Do you own a Kemper Profiling Amp? Check this out: http://www.soundside.de/shop/Profiles.htm

beck

Post by beck » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:36 pm

I didn't say that the recording device companies were necessarily in step with all of us! :-) I think there are still a fair number of folks who would appreciate an all-in-one, great quality pocket studio, even if it's just to lay down tracks later for a DAW. I'm still using my H4, and I like the sound quality on it, but I just wish it had drums (programmable) or at least some MIDI connection, as well as some post-insert effects (send effects at least). Those two things would help me a lot and save me the additional time on the PC.
0 x
hear my tunes at

www.mattbecker.com