Zoom R16 Close Up Pics Shows Metronome - updated

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
beck

Re: Zoom R16 Close Up Pics Shows Metronome - updated

Post by beck » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:17 pm

exactly what I'm looking for dengen!

It seems to be the natural evolution of the pocket recorder, and for zoom I think it's the next logical step.
The MRS is getting outdated and for those who don't want a computer interface, they want a standalone (all-in-one) recorder, which should be pocket-sized so that you can work on your sound anywhere and not be constrained by location (or be constrained by the size of the device, since it's pocketable). The SDHC cards are cheap but it makes no sense to build a 16 track recorder that basically does (for all intents and purposes, for the individual musician) what the H4 has been doing for 4 years. We need some innovation and the whole point of the new technology is to allow music to be easily created (which for most of us means some type of standalone device, definitely pocketable). If we're honest, half of us in here are busy family guys who don't have tons of time to sit at a pc and make music, and we prefer not to. That's why we're Zoomers (the traditional bunch of us, I mean, who bought ps-0x's or the MRS/HD recorders) or why we chose Zoom in the first place over traditional PC recording, most of us anyway I'm assuming. The PS-Ox's were great because they let you make music in a complete way wherever you were. Technology having come a long way since 2001 or 2002 when the PS-02 came out, we should see Zoom (who are the innovators in portable recording studios, or were, IMO) produce the next killer pocket studio.
That's what I'm looking for!
0 x
hear my tunes at

www.mattbecker.com

Armin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Armin » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:21 am

dengen wrote:I agree with Armin that the HW manufacturers aren't keeping up with the software drum machines out there, but to me its their own fault, they're just not innovating. For example flash memory is so darn cheap these days they could put in a flash memory based killer hw drum machine that had lets say 3-4 velocity layers to add realism to the hits, add a humanize/randomize to the midi playback for both velocity and timing and get a much better result. They could then sell additional kits to download and flash into the device (ala rayzoon), how about that as an extra income stream?

Regardless, the point is that I use a standalone device because its *not* a computer. If I wanted that, I'd just use Acid and Line6, which are fine products but I prefer to make music not in front of the computer screen. I guess what I really want is the PS-08 or PS-12 :) Heres what it would be:
  • SDHC/microSDHC
  • 16bit/44kHz .wav file recording for the tracks
  • 8 or 12 mixdown tracks (with 10Vtakes), with 4 physical track faders (left and right bank shift)
  • 2 physical track sliders for drums/bass and master or reuse ala PS-04
  • ZFX-3 dsp
  • Flash based drum/bass machine w/support for FAST method and randomized velocity/hit timing (humanize)
  • About the size of the PS-04, preferably a bit thinner (iPhone size)
  • Built in stereo mic
  • 48v phantom power on at least one input for use with decent condenser mics
  • Run on 4 AA batteries or have a Li polymer battery
  • USB 2.0 port
Zoom, make that and I'll buy two :)
Yes, I agree a small portable recorder like this is nice for many use cases.
I used my PS02 a lot on business trips - together with my small travel guitar ( check http://www.thebone.ch)

Because SM cards are not available and max 128MB is the PSxx series not so fine to use today.

I did use the Boss MicroBr for some time - but hated the bad effects (mainly the reverb).
MicroBr is limited to 1GB SD cards, no build in bass, no way to change the patterns.

I waited for some kind of PSxx from Zoom too - but it simply did not happen yet.

R16 target seams for this:
-Portable Band recording
-DAW integration
-Soundcard
-Controller

It's not the 'All-In-One-Workstation' like MRS or HD series.

IMHO is the HD16 still a very nice recorder for all this and the R16 for other tasks.
0 x
Upgrade your Zoom R8 / R24 / HD16 / HD8 / MRS / PS04 / PS02 : http://www.soundside.de

Do you own a Kemper Profiling Amp? Check this out: http://www.soundside.de/shop/Profiles.htm

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:59 pm

The R16 appears to be the device /I/ wanted back when I bought the HD16... Something that could be used to record multiple microphones for video usage: a couple of main microphones for performers, some others configured for surround pickup, etc.

And it's small & battery powered! The HD16 is not something you'd haul around (along with a 5lb camera and 10lb tripod, etc.) just for short takes.

Actually, based on the size, the R16 looks like a "grown-up" BOSS BR600 that has dropped playing drums and added multiple XLR inputs (and a bigger file-system -- the BR600 uses CF cards, but only a 1GB maximum! Just enough to permit working one song if using v-takes and multiple tracks)
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:40 am

Armin wrote:IMHO is the HD16 still a very nice recorder for all this and the R16 for other tasks.
I liked my HD16 very much but thought it was basically too big and heavy so I eventually ended up downsizing to the HD8 and using a DAW again (I'd rather not use it though). If the R16 had a drum machine and virtual tracks it would be perfect (to me) -- like a glorified MRS8.

Hey, here's an idea: if they compressed 16 tracks to an 8 eight channel footprint on the R16 with a two-way selector, why not halve it again with a four way switch and four channel mixer, add the drum machine and the virtual tracks to end up with an even smaller unit that will satisfy almost everyone's wish list on this thread? :lol:

Better yet, offer various physical units (x channels w/ or wo/ drum machine) but all with the same downloadable/upgradeable potential. That way when the G3 effects come out Zoom can just charge a download fee and not make people buy new hardware. Joe can download it to his two channel portable unit, Jane to her 16 channel home studio, and so-and-so to his eight channel unit with drum machine. Zoom , come out with frequent improvements often (without having to change physical production lines -- we're talking code enhancements here) and continually grow your product line. Offer a very wide range of options to allow people to customize their unit to their musical needs by downlaoding the "classic rock effects package" or the "hip hop beats collection", etc... to gather the tools they need for the music they want to create. Empower users to share configurations and settings and nuture a viral community that helps to espouse the use of your products (sounds familiar).

I know I sound like a broken record but I really think that for Zoom to bridge the standalone and DAW divide they need to decouple the potential of their product line from specific physical units. Emulate, and perhaps, surpass the virtues of a DAW (by way of portability and simplicity) and not merely concede to its preeminence by catering to a DAW-centric view of the future. I'd venture to say that MOST home recorders would rather not sit in front of a computer if they didn't have to -- give them a better way / do what I just said.

So Zoom, when you finally ask me to be the director of research for you please don't be half going out of business. :lol:
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

Armin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Armin » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:14 am

Do you really sit in front of the recorder and create patterns on the tiny interface ?
I found that I used the inbuilt PS04/MRS/HD PatternEditor only to try if it works.
Then I used my PC pattern editor to create my basic patterns - I created some songs 'on the road' with my PS04 but never with the MRS/HD recorders - I used the PC SongEditor instead.

So for me was the whole drums/Bass part created via PC anyway - the functions of the Zoom was to playback this only.

Now since we have plenty of space can I use two stereo tracks to playback my backing tracks.
Created by other Zoom gear, my Boss DR-880, loops, play alongs or whatever.
0 x
Upgrade your Zoom R8 / R24 / HD16 / HD8 / MRS / PS04 / PS02 : http://www.soundside.de

Do you own a Kemper Profiling Amp? Check this out: http://www.soundside.de/shop/Profiles.htm

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:37 pm

Armin wrote:Do you really sit in front of the recorder and create patterns on the tiny interface?
See, the beauty of a tiny interface is that it can sit in front of you. :lol:

I can't speak for anyone else but I always preferred the MRS8, HD8/16 and even the tiny PS04 buttons to thump beats out over a software beat grid. I can't really play a mouse (insert joke here). Also, I MUCH more prefer using Zoom's F.A.S.T. method to arrange the song/beats over mouse clicks and GUI interaction of any kind.
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)