R16 released

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
brandon
dues paid
dues paid

Re: R16 released

Post by brandon » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:49 am

Armin wrote:
guitarjeff wrote:Still nothing at ZZounds or AMS, yet someone posted their first recording from the R16 in the musiis section. When will the online stores get these babies?
In the EU in about a month:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/zoom_r16.htm

and priced at £318.00 - thats £100 less than places I have seen in the UK.

Any reason?
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:07 pm

Soooo.... what does "released" mean when you can still only pre-order it? A new web page about the R16 was released? A downloadable PDF was released?
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

Armin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Armin » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:08 pm

Lee wrote:Soooo.... what does "released" mean when you can still only pre-order it? A new web page about the R16 was released? A downloadable PDF was released?
Released means that R16 is introduced at the official Zoom Webpage.
Since I am a beta tester I am not allowed to talk about it before Zoom releases this information.

Usually was Zoom gear available in US before EU - so I think you can buy R16 very soon in US.
0 x
Upgrade your Zoom R8 / R24 / HD16 / HD8 / MRS / PS04 / PS02 : http://www.soundside.de

Do you own a Kemper Profiling Amp? Check this out: http://www.soundside.de/shop/Profiles.htm

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:10 am

Lee wrote:Soooo.... what does "released" mean when you can still only pre-order it? A new web page about the R16 was released? A downloadable PDF was released?
Probably means that the zone distributors (SamsonTech in US) can now actually put in orders for the product... Once they receive the product, they can distribute it to the more local dealers...

So one probably has the delay while production fills shipping containers; sea shipping to the various ports (one to two weeks from container filled and put on ship), a few days for transport from port to distributor, then more days from distributor to dealer.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:35 pm

Armin,

Do you know if i can get one of these in Canada yet? I normally use Long & McQuade- not sure if you know them, but they are a big outfit, like sam ash.
I wonder what this would go for in Canadian funds. I'd like to upgrade from my MRS8. I don't like the 1 gig SD limitation, especially when i have about 4-2gig cards sitting here rotting away. :)

Maceman
0 x

Armin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Armin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:23 pm

maceman wrote:Armin,

Do you know if i can get one of these in Canada yet? I normally use Long & McQuade- not sure if you know them, but they are a big outfit, like sam ash.
I wonder what this would go for in Canadian funds. I'd like to upgrade from my MRS8. I don't like the 1 gig SD limitation, especially when i have about 4-2gig cards sitting here rotting away. :)

Maceman
I have no idea when R16 will be available in different countries.

Yes, 32GB is much better than only 1.
0 x
Upgrade your Zoom R8 / R24 / HD16 / HD8 / MRS / PS04 / PS02 : http://www.soundside.de

Do you own a Kemper Profiling Amp? Check this out: http://www.soundside.de/shop/Profiles.htm

dengen
Jedi
Jedi

Post by dengen » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:52 am

PS02 seamless AB was for drums&bass only there was no audio AB.
Audio AB started with PS04 and was never seamless.
R16 has the usual non-seamless audio AB - but the gap is very short since R16 uses SD cards.
You know its so funny, I just remembered (through my apparently rose colored glasses) that the PS-02's AB was seamless while the newer units had a gap (and the 02 had a ping-pong delay on insert effect which I think the newer units lost). Of course the 02 only had 3 audio tracks anyway so I think I pretty much always used the built-in bass and drums and putting 12 bars or so of that in a loop could provide for a fun overdose of guitar wankery! Thanks for clearing up my rusty memory :) it inspired me to take out my PS02 and jam again over some of those old rhythm tracks I had set up, still fun even if the sounds are a bit dated.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:30 pm

The PS-02 still holds its own against a lot of the newer portable gear coming out. It definitely was plenty bang for the buck, I had a lot of fun with that little gem.
0 x

StingerT125
Jedi
Jedi

Post by StingerT125 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:08 pm

Came back to this site yesterday after being away for awhile because I was looking to get back into recording and wanted to see what was new. Was going to be looking for an 8 input recorder because I have an old Tascam 688 that I wanted to transfer all my old recordings from. Saw this R16 and I thought it would fit the bill for what I was looking for. Today I went to my local music store and they had it in stock for 379.99 so I picked it up.

Won't really get a chance to really explore it until later in the week. It's small and light and I think I will be happy with it.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:36 pm

Digging up ancient history
Henky wrote:Any idea then how it syncs with a second R16?
What kind of signal is used to do this, it must be some kind of time code.
So if I understood you right, you can't synchronise with anything else other than a second R16?
Page 35 of the manual has a footnote of:
• Perfect synchronization of the start timing in recording by two R16s is not guaranteed.
• There will be a gap of approximately 1-2 ms.
Which sort of indicates no time code used... Just a protocol passing transport control commands.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:27 pm

StingerT125 wrote: Today I went to my local music store and they had it in stock for 379.99 so I picked it up.
Hey, good price on that. Cheaper than online. Let us know how you like it once you've played around with it for a while.
0 x

brandon
dues paid
dues paid

Post by brandon » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:02 pm

StingerT125 wrote:Came back to this site yesterday after being away for awhile because I was looking to get back into recording and wanted to see what was new. Was going to be looking for an 8 input recorder because I have an old Tascam 688 that I wanted to transfer all my old recordings from. Saw this R16 and I thought it would fit the bill for what I was looking for. Today I went to my local music store and they had it in stock for 379.99 so I picked it up.

Won't really get a chance to really explore it until later in the week. It's small and light and I think I will be happy with it.

Hi was this in uk? Did you get anything thrown in with it? My first request is going to be a bigger SD card for starters! :-)
0 x

StingerT125
Jedi
Jedi

Post by StingerT125 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:07 pm

Zoetrope wrote:
StingerT125 wrote: Today I went to my local music store and they had it in stock for 379.99 so I picked it up.
Hey, good price on that. Cheaper than online. Let us know how you like it once you've played around with it for a while.
Yeah, I was suprised that they had it less than the on-line stores. I'll give an update after I've used it for awhile.

brandon wrote:
StingerT125 wrote:Hi was this in uk? Did you get anything thrown in with it? My first request is going to be a bigger SD card for starters! :-)
Came back to this site yesterday after being away for awhile because I was looking to get back into recording and wanted to see what was new. Was going to be looking for an 8 input recorder because I have an old Tascam 688 that I wanted to transfer all my old recordings from. Saw this R16 and I thought it would fit the bill for what I was looking for. Today I went to my local music store and they had it in stock for 379.99 so I picked it up.

I'm in NY, they didn't offer and I didn't ask for anything thrown in. I was happy that it was less than the on-line shops
0 x

brandon
dues paid
dues paid

Post by brandon » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:50 pm

Anyone know where I can hear demos of the sounds produced by the effects on the R16?

Thanks
0 x

Armin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Armin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:13 pm

Effects are similar to MRS / HD effects.

Guitar effects are mono only in R16.
0 x