R16-Tutorial-Send/Return effects VS. Insert effect

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
aviuncyk
new to this board
new to this board

Re: R16-Tutorial-Send/Return effects VS. Insert effect

Post by aviuncyk » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:25 pm

I do music as an hobby and did not touch the Zoom for over a year. However, after reading your notes below, and ONLY after that I finally understood the way the effects work. From the manual which I read again and again, I could not get it.

Many Thanks

A Uncyk

NYC
0 x

selbalicious
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by selbalicious » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:45 pm

Yay! Really glad it helped!
0 x
Kevin B. Selby
https://www.facebook.com/TheJKDuo/ <-- Live Performance
http://kevinselby.com <-- Original Music (free downloads if you're smart enough to hack the music player...HAH!)

jazzweasel
new to this board
new to this board

Post by jazzweasel » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:41 am

First I have to profess my ignorance (newbie) and apologize if what I'm asking was answered somewhere here.

Is there a link that still exists to get the diagram of how the insert effects works?

I'm trying to bounce a track thru an effect but having problems. The first is I can't get the insert effect to go "on". I suspect this is because I recorded dry rather than wet - could that be the issue? Is there anyway to change that - copy a dry track to a wet track, or do I have to re-record as a wet track?

Second I'm a visual learner, so can anyone recommend a tutorial on line (Youtube, etc) that they found helpful in the past for any topic on the R16

Thanks in Advance
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:48 pm

jazzweasel wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:41 am
Is there a link that still exists to get the diagram of how the insert effects works?
Beyond the user manual?
I'm trying to bounce a track thru an effect but having problems. The first is I can't get the insert effect to go "on". I suspect this is because I recorded dry rather than wet - could that be the issue? Is there anyway to change that - copy a dry track to a wet track, or do I have to re-record as a wet track?
Manual page 47 -- take note of the Insert Effect locations. Make sure the effect is set to TRACK, AND is active for the SOURCE track you are bouncing.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

selbalicious
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by selbalicious » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:10 pm

Hey folks. I think this person is the same one (or similar) who asked about pushing individual tracks through the Send/Return effects and then into a DAW (such as Reaper).

Here is the question and my answer below it (and who knows...there MAY be other ways around this that I don't know about...it's been awhile since I had my claws around my R16(s)).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Kevin,
First of all, a huge thank you to you. My musical partner got an R16
earlier this year and though I can't say we've exactly mastered the beast
with all it's idiosyncrasies yet, we'd still be struggling with the basics
without your generous devotion to the cause. Thank you for all your time
and help on this forum.

I've also enjoyed your musings, adventures and enthusiasms on your own
musical career, partly through your website.

My question is this - Is there a way of importing all tracks from a project
to a DAW like Reaper or Audacity to do a remix while keeping the effects,
(send/return, insert) that were applied in the R16? Or would the only way
be to record wet? (As far as I understand one can't record send/return wet,
only insert, or insert and bounce).

Thanks in advance if you find the time to reply to this,

-------------------------------------------------------------------

My answer:

That is a GREAT question...and certainly something that I thought about (very slightly) whilst putting together all those tutorial posts and such.

I think that I never actually believed someone would want to "imprint" the send/return effects onto the actual .wav files themselves (sitting behind tracks 1-8 or whatever).

When the R16 is acting in "DAW" mode, there is no concept of opening a "Project" local on the SD card and playing that project THROUGH the USB cable into the computer. The R16 simply becomes an audio interface allowing signal to come through the Inputs, down the USB wire to the computer where it gets laid down as a .wav's on various tracks and all that. SO...there really is no way to play an R16 Project and have the tracks send their audio through the USB to the DAW (while playing through the Send/Return effects).
If my recollection is correct, the Dry/Wet recording setting is only for the Insert effect. In order to "print" the Send/Return effects, I'm afraid the only way to do it is INTERNALLY to the R16.

A few non-standard methods that would "get the job done".

1. Bounce each track THROUGH the Send/Return effects to their own new tracks (heck...if you only had 8 tracks you could literally bounce every track to its corresponding 9-16 tracks to make things easy).
2. Here's an interesting twist: So...you connect the R16 to your computer in some manner that is analog. Either the Main Outs or Phone Outs on the R16 to some type of computer interface OR to the simple Line Input on the computer would work. Then you would have to record each track individually (while muting the other 7) and create new tracks in the DAW to represent the tracks on the R16. The only trouble is there is no way to synchronize the starting of the recording in the DAW with pushing Play on the R16 and therefore your tracks would NOT line up easily. Probably not the best approach. But it IS an approach.
3. Since it appears that you really like the internal send/return effects (you have some reason you want them "printed" to the .wav), you could simply do all your mixing on the R16 and mix together all the tracks to a Master stereo .wav file and be done. But I understand...you really would rather work with them in a DAW. In that case, the only option I see if bullet 1 above.

Now...all that said...I'm scratching my head wondering why you reaaaaaaaaaally want those internal Send/Return effects to be "printed" (also sometimes referred to as "burned-in") to the .wavs. The R16 is actually quite an old machine in Internet time. Since then, all the various DAWs (including Reaper) have RADICALLY leapfrogged any and all of the technology/software used in the R16 for its internal effects. Another way of saying this: the send/return effects on the R16 are "good" and can certainly be "good enough" in many situations, but they aren't even CLOSE to the quality of effects you get in nearly every DAW on the planet. I would probably take a good hard look at why exactly I really want those older, less clean, less technologically advanced effects printed onto my .wav files. But that's just me!

K
0 x
Kevin B. Selby
https://www.facebook.com/TheJKDuo/ <-- Live Performance
http://kevinselby.com <-- Original Music (free downloads if you're smart enough to hack the music player...HAH!)