HD16

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
friz
new to this board
new to this board

HD16

Post by friz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:33 am

Can someone help me?
i have an hd 16 hard disk and when i turn it on it says internal err!
dose this mean the unit is completly broke or do i have any options?
0 x

Henky
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: HD16

Post by Henky » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:33 am

It's most likely something with the harddisk.
You got all sorts of options like scandisk etc.
Check out the manual page 171 - 173 for this.
Remember when you do a recover action (aka. Init all) you will lose song/project data therefor you should start with auto repair or check file and only do a recover action if those fail.
Your very very last option if everything else fails is to replace the harddisk, gtrdrt maybe able to give you some advice on how to do that.
0 x

friz
new to this board
new to this board

Post by friz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:38 am

hey thanks!, you know what though i can't even do the scan or anything it's just froze there.
If i try and hold clear just another err message pops up this really sucks!!
0 x

gtrdrt
dues paid
dues paid

Post by gtrdrt » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:55 pm

What's the other error message?
0 x

friz
new to this board
new to this board

Post by friz » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:16 am

It just say's err with the >>>> running
0 x

gtrdrt
dues paid
dues paid

Post by gtrdrt » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:00 pm

friz wrote:It just say's err with the >>>> running
My HD16 currently has no hard drive in it, and that's the same message I get too when I power up while holding down the clear button.

Have you tried doing that when the recovery cd is in? I tried that, and I got some further options I could have tried. I didn't try anything, because, as I said, I have no hard drive in right now. But maybe this is something you could explore.
0 x

gtaus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by gtaus » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:37 pm

I'm signing on to this thread because I too have an HD16 and someday I might be facing the same error message. So, I want to find out if you get your HD16 back up and running, or not. I know that Zoom sells/sold replacement HDDs for the HD16 a few years ago when I asked. But that was when they were still selling the recorders. I don't know if they still have a supply of replacement drives. Also, if you want to try and get an 80 GB IDE HDD drive on your own, you probably have to buy a used drive off the internet because the computer companies don't make them anymore.

The HD16 is a great recorder, but depending on the cost of the replacement drive and/or repair, you might want to explore other options. It all comes down to money for me. There is a point where I decide not to fix up old tech and instead put that money towards newer, cheaper, and more capable gear. Having said that, there are features on the HD16 that are no longer offered in the R16/R24 recorders. So if you use those features on the HD16 that are not offered on the newer models, well, maybe that's worth a bit more to you. Best wishes.
0 x

gtrdrt
dues paid
dues paid

Post by gtrdrt » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:15 pm

The hdd that came with my HD16 is a Western Digital WD800BB-22JHC0. It's 80gig, EIDE, 7200rpm. The one that just came in the mail about an hour and a half ago is a WD800BB-75JHC0 (same specs). It's used, I got it for $27US, including shipping, off of eBay, I put it in, I turned on the HD16 to put in the recovery cd, I turned the HD16 off and then back on, waited until "VERSION UP?" was on the display, pressed 'cursor right' until "RECOVER?" was on the display, hit 'enter' twice, sat back and waited until the display said 'recovery successful' (or something very similar), turned off the HD16, and then I turned it back on.

It works!
0 x

gtaus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by gtaus » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:21 pm

gtrdrt wrote:...It works!
Fantastic! Any problems opening up the HD16 to get to the HDD to replace it? I've swapped out HDDs on my computers many times, so I'm not unfamiliar with the procedure, just wondering if there was any problems getting to the HDD on the HD16.

Also, just wondering here, if any IDE drive would work - either more or less than 80 GB? Maybe that's too tech for this forum, but I thought I would ask anyway.
0 x

gtrdrt
dues paid
dues paid

Post by gtrdrt » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:46 pm

I don't know if any IDE drive will work, but I'll find out next time I have a free drive to experiment with. Probably before that though, I'll test whether a laptop drive will work. I know they have adapters for that purpose for not much money at all, so, again, when I have a free laptop drive to experiment with, I'll get one of these adapters and see what happens. If it works, I should be able to install/uninstall the drive right from that square opening on the bottom of the unit--only two screws would need to be undone in order to get to the drive.

Regarding problems in getting to the HD16's hard drive, I'll refer you to what I posted in another thread at http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic. ... 74#p168474.
Last edited by gtrdrt on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

gtrdrt
dues paid
dues paid

Post by gtrdrt » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:49 pm

disregard
Last edited by gtrdrt on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

gtrdrt
dues paid
dues paid

Post by gtrdrt » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:34 pm

gtrdrt wrote:I don't know if any IDE drive will work, but I'll find out next time I have a free drive to experiment with. Probably before that though, I'll test whether a laptop drive will work. I know they have adapters for that purpose for not much money at all, so, again, when I have a free laptop drive to experiment with, I'll get one of these adapters and see what happens. If it works, I should be able to install/uninstall the drive right from that square opening on the bottom of the unit--only two screws would need to be undone in order to get to the drive.
I might try something else first. I found a Compact Flash to IDE adapter here at http://us.startech.com/product/IDE2CF-4 ... SD-Adapter for $12. I already have an 8gig CF card. That would be a pretty cheap experiment. The adapter is all I'd have to buy. And I think 8gig is all I'd need for the way I'm intending to use the HD16. Knowing me, I'll probably give this a shot.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:48 am

gtrdrt wrote:I might try something else first. I found a Compact Flash to IDE adapter here at http://us.startech.com/product/IDE2CF-4 ... SD-Adapter for $12. I already have an 8gig CF card. That would be a pretty cheap experiment. The adapter is all I'd have to buy. And I think 8gig is all I'd need for the way I'm intending to use the HD16. Knowing me, I'll probably give this a shot.
Remember, the "firmware" takes up some of that space (though if its on an uncompressed CD, that's less than a GB... But if you make it a removable memory, you need that firmware directory structure on all cards you swap through...

While I'm fairly sure that any IDE drive that is the same size, and same speed or faster, should work -- the really interesting experiment would be to see if one could put in a larger drive... 120-256GB EIDE -- and have the full space recognized and usable.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Henky
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Henky » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:29 am

Wulfraed wrote:the really interesting experiment would be to see if one could put in a larger drive... 120-256GB EIDE -- and have the full space recognized and usable.
Hmm, i would be interested in using an 80GB SSD if only there were EIDE SSD's as they all seem to be SATA.
0 x

gtrdrt
dues paid
dues paid

Post by gtrdrt » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:00 am

Henky wrote:Hmm, i would be interested in using an 80GB SSD if only there were EIDE SSD's as they all seem to be SATA.
There appear to be adapters to convert sata drives to ide for not much money. I think this one could do the trick: http://us.startech.com/product/IDE2SAT- ... -Converter
0 x

gtrdrt
dues paid
dues paid

Post by gtrdrt » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:38 am

Wulfraed wrote:
gtrdrt wrote:I might try something else first. I found a Compact Flash to IDE adapter here at http://us.startech.com/product/IDE2CF-4 ... SD-Adapter for $12. I already have an 8gig CF card. That would be a pretty cheap experiment. The adapter is all I'd have to buy. And I think 8gig is all I'd need for the way I'm intending to use the HD16. Knowing me, I'll probably give this a shot.
Remember, the "firmware" takes up some of that space (though if its on an uncompressed CD, that's less than a GB... But if you make it a removable memory, you need that firmware directory structure on all cards you swap through...

While I'm fairly sure that any IDE drive that is the same size, and same speed or faster, should work -- the really interesting experiment would be to see if one could put in a larger drive... 120-256GB EIDE -- and have the full space recognized and usable.
So ok, I did give it a shot, but I couldn't get it to work. Alas.

I know the adapter works correctly when I connect it to an IDE to USB adapter, but it wouldn't work with the HD16 using the 8gig CF card I have. It could be that the CF card itself is the problem. It might be that it's too slow. The card says on it that it's 30MB/sec, but I can't afford to get a faster one at this time. I guess it could also be that 8gig is not big enough. Maybe one day I'll come across another CF card that I can try. If I ever get one to work, I'll definitely let everyone here know.

They also make similar adapters that use SDHC cards like the one in my R16. Maybe there's a reason Zoom chose that kind of card instead of Compact Flash. Does anyone here know? Is SDHC superior to CF in any way?
0 x

Badnob
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Badnob » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:22 am

Hi

@ gtrdrt

When you say it didn't work, how far did it get?

Did you try and run the software restore and if so, did it give you any error messages?

Maybe it didn't like the size difference, I'm thinking that the restore process may try and make an 80GB partition and if there isn't enough space on the drive then it can't continue. In theory, the type of drive doesn't matter as it is being presented to the zoom's IDE controller as an ATA device wether it is a CF, IDE, SSD etc.

I have a 40gb IDE drive I could give it a go with to check.

Ideally it would be nice to get an SSD in mine, for silent operation, so if we can find out as much as possible about the way the HD's handle drives then it would be a good thing.

It would also be worth sticking the original zoom drive into a pc as I reckon it is a FAT partition (as windows can see it via USB) so it may be possible to clone the original drive (with all zoom firmware and file structure) onto a larger drive and increase the partition size whilst keeping all files on there.

Any thoughts?

Badnob.
0 x