HD16

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: HD16

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:52 pm

Short diversion...

As I recall, there are two means of doing drive select on IDE drives.

Either a straight-through cable with jumpers on the drives to set the drives to activate on select-0/select-1 cable signals; or a cable which has the select leads "twisted" when going to the second drive so that both drives are jumpered as "master" (select-0) but the second connector has select-1 in the select-0 pin. {Oh, how I miss SCSI}
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Henky
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Henky » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:52 am

I still hasitate to open up my HD16 especially since it is in perfect working order.
Could someone please post some pictures and a step by step guide for this?
Thanks in advance!
0 x

gtrdrt
dues paid
dues paid

Post by gtrdrt » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:52 am

Henky wrote:I still hasitate to open up my HD16 especially since it is in perfect working order.
Could someone please post some pictures and a step by step guide for this?
Thanks in advance!
I was going to refer you to a post I submitted awhile back that was my attempt to describe step by step how to take the HD16 apart, but I just read it again, and it's a complete mess. I inserted a bunch of edits that just confuse things too much. I'll try tomorrow to make a revised version that's clearer. And when I get the time to try again to see if the HD16 can use a Compact Flash card instead of a hard drive, I'll try to remember this time to take pictures as I open it. :oops:

P.S. Does anyone know how to link to a single post on this forum?
Last edited by gtrdrt on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

gtrdrt
dues paid
dues paid

Post by gtrdrt » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:24 pm

Ok, I revised the post I mention directly above. It's in this thread...
http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic. ... 74#p168474
...and it's the fifth post.

I hope it's clear enough now...
0 x

Henky
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Henky » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:26 am

gtrdrt wrote:Ok, I revised the post I mention directly above. It's in this thread...
http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic. ... 74#p168474
...and it's the fifth post.

I hope it's clear enough now...
Top, much apreciated.
A little prayer and a glass of wine for some good old "dutch courage" and I'm off to go. :wacky: :oops: :lol:
0 x

billwhite2
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by billwhite2 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:21 pm

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, READ THIS POST!!!

Hi All,

I see all the discussions about replacing the HDD with anything that has the same specs, but I have learned by talking to ZOOM Corporation that the reason they want you to by a hard drive from them is because it comes with the Operating System burned in.

Our HD16s aren't just like any other computer! They come with a proprietary Operating System installed. You can't just throw any replacement HD in the HD16 and expect it to work, no matter what you think. Don’t go cheap when it comes to your HD16! The projects on that machine represent hundreds of hours of work, blood, and sweat. If you can find a suitable replacement from ZOOM or someone else before your system crashes, buy it. And be prepared for that dark, dismal, frightening day when the HD16 fails, because it will. It’s inevitable; just like death and taxes.

One thing that is most important is to back up your HD16 right now to another computer or external hard drive. I have a Seagate 1.5 Terabyte external hard drive for that purpose. It cost only $79 and it’s cheap insurance.

Now for some wisdom:

1. Treat your HD16 like it is made of glass and packed with C4 explosive!
2. Never move the machine while it is running; not even an inch.
3. Never jolt the machine with a hard impact. Although it’s made of steel, the components inside are
fragile.
4. Back up the HD16 on a regular, monthly schedule.
5. Keep it clean and dust-free. Use a new, clean paintbrush to dust off the cabinet.
6. Never eat or drink near the machine. It takes only one spilled cup of coffee to f*ck up your entire day!

I have owned computers since 1984 when my first machine was an Apple 2e. It cost me $2,500 and I just sold it last year in pristine condition for $75 to a collector. So much for retaining its value.
I have since owned many computers. I have replaced failed hard drives, upgraded memory, replaced video cards, and eventually started building my own machines. The laptop I have now is a 5-year-old Dell Inspiron 9400. It runs just as good as the day I brought home because I’ve taken care of it.

I have been a CAD operator since ’86 and worked for Honeywell and other engineering firms. I’ve been a software developer since 2001. I’m retired now, but I work part-time as a consultant both as a musician and a programmer.

Oh, yeah…I’ve also been a professional musician for 41 years. I’ve played around the U.S., Japan, Mexico, the Philippines and I even played Carnegie Hall in 1976. I’ve worked as an engineer or a producer or a sideman on several albums that you’ve never heard of. Just like thousands of other musicians.

What does all that mean? Nothing! The only thing it can possibly mean is that my knowledge comes from years of “hard knocks experience.” So when I say, “take care of your machine,” do it. Your heart and soul is in that machine. Pay attention!
0 x

gtrdrt
dues paid
dues paid

Post by gtrdrt » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:32 pm

billwhite2 wrote:PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, READ THIS POST!!!

Hi All,

I see all the discussions about replacing the HDD with anything that has the same specs, but I have learned by talking to ZOOM Corporation that the reason they want you to by a hard drive from them is because it comes with the Operating System burned in.
It's true that their hard drives come with the OS installed on them, but you can install that OS yourself onto a replacement drive, which I have done. My HD16, with its replacement hard drive, is now working exactly as it should.
0 x

Henky
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Henky » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:36 am

And I'm hasitating again... :oops:
0 x

gtrdrt
dues paid
dues paid

Post by gtrdrt » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:56 am

Henky wrote:And I'm hasitating again... :oops:
What in particular concerns you?
0 x

Henky
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Henky » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:03 am

gtrdrt wrote:
Henky wrote:And I'm hasitating again... :oops:
What in particular concerns you?
Nothing in particular, only the post of billwhite2... :? :oops: :?
0 x

gtrdrt
dues paid
dues paid

Post by gtrdrt » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:43 am

His post seemed to me to really only be saying don't use crappy replacement parts and be careful. What were you thinking of doing? Trying a bigger drive? An SSD?
0 x

Henky
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Henky » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:58 am

gtrdrt wrote:His post seemed to me to really only be saying don't use crappy replacement parts and be careful. What were you thinking of doing? Trying a bigger drive? An SSD?
Having a SSD has been a wish for a long time, apart from harddrive noise, it looks like a SSD will be more reliable so this is my goal and I will succeed one day.
However it's true what billwhite2 says: "Your heart and soul is in that machine." I guess mine is too.
I would really hate myself when I ruin something since it's not really a necessary operation the current harddrive is 100%.
So here's my dilemma: should I try to replace the harddrive with a SSD and risk damaging something or keep on going and wait till the harddrive fails (which might never be the case).
0 x

gtrdrt
dues paid
dues paid

Post by gtrdrt » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:51 pm

I guess if my HD16 was my only recorder, I'd be more hesitant too, Henky, but you strike me as a careful person, so I'd be willing to bet you would do fine replacing a hard drive. Maybe figure out in advance a way to have your HD16 lying topside down, have its bottom-half opened about 45 degrees, and have that bottom-half supported with something that keeps it open so both your hands can be free. I didn't do that any of the times I did my hd replacing or the experimenting I did, but I'm sure it would have made those operations a lot safer for the HD16 (and much easier) if I had. I'm thinking, like, a length of twine or something that can be looped around the bottom-half and tied to something above it to hold it up. You'd probably eliminate about 95% of the 'danger' right there, I would think.
Last edited by gtrdrt on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

billwhite2
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by billwhite2 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi All,

I hope I didn’t come off sounding like a messenger of doom, but I was trying to emphasize the importance of constantly backing up your work, if only to CDs.

I love this forum and all the incredible information that is posted here. I have learned so much from all of you guys (and girls?). I’m thinking of people like Wulfraed, Selebacious, Henky, Gtrdrt, and all the rest. I wish we could meet in person. You guys are AWESOME!

We all know that the HD16 is built like a “brick sh*thouse,” but even the toughest machines eventually fail. I dread when that day may come, but I hope that I have sufficiently protected my work against that certainty.

I’ve had my HD16 for about 2-1/2 years and have never had a problem, but since I have 85 projects on it, including several client albums, I do everything possible to keep it running at optimum. That means using all the utilities available (pp. 171-173) as a safeguard. I would hate to have to explain to one of my clients how and why I lost their work.

I thrilled to read that Gtrdrt has successfully replaced a HDD and installed the Operating System. That gives me hope.

Regards,

Bill White
0 x

gtrdrt
dues paid
dues paid

Post by gtrdrt » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:35 pm

Also, it should give you even more hope that rx1999 has successfully replaced his(?) hard drive with a 64 gig, 2.5" solid state drive, which can now be easily accessed and removed by just removing the cover from the square opening on the bottom of the HD16 instead of taking its top and bottom halves apart.
0 x

gtrdrt
dues paid
dues paid

Post by gtrdrt » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:48 pm

rx1999 wrote:Great, glad I could help clear things up, remember, because of the active converter use the standard configuration
|======|====| <----"IDE cable"
1 2 3 <--- "Connectors"

1 connects to mainboard
2 To active CF adapter set as Master
3 CD-Rom as Slave
Please let us know and if you still need help please post.
BTW CF cards are not as reliable as Hard drive.
I don't know how, but I missed this post entirely until just now. Thanks, rxNotYetY2K.

They also make ide-to-sd-card adapters. Are sd cards any better in that regard? Either way, it seems to me that you could just replace the card whenever it starts to be unreliable. Or do they start out that way? In what sense are they less reliable than hard drives?
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:57 am

billwhite2 wrote: I love this forum and all the incredible information that is posted here. I have learned so much from all of you guys (and girls?). I’m thinking of people like Wulfraed, Selebacious, Henky, Gtrdrt, and all the rest. I wish we could meet in person. You guys are AWESOME!
Awesome? No... I'm just a JoAT... And you should know the corollary (if you don't I'm sure a Google search will find the MoN clause [I leave it as acronym deliberately, it is never used as such])
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards