R24 - Vanishing Projects!!!

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
sedayne
new to this board
new to this board

R24 - Vanishing Projects!!!

Post by sedayne » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:28 pm

Having been very pleased with the R24 since January (we even used it for recording an album - mastering onto an old H4, but that's a story for another day) we've recently had TWO projects VANISH without a trace overnight. These are non-consecutive projects, both live recordings made with 4 phantom powered mics on channels 3, 4, 5 & 6.

A lesser issue is that sometimes one of the channels will drop out of a project, but will re-appear having followed IT Crowd advice of turning it off & turning it back on again.

Is it the card? The machine? Is there a solution? Or must I get seriously upset?
0 x

Henky
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: R24 - Vanishing Projects!!!

Post by Henky » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:15 pm

Projects don't vanish just like that.
If you checked the projects the night before and they were OK then something must have happend in the mean time.
Did you by any chance connect the R24 to a computer between the point you checked the projects and the moment you noticed they were gone?
0 x

sedayne
new to this board
new to this board

Post by sedayne » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:35 am

The only external connection was via the output jacks to the hi-fi.

Both vanished projects were fine on playback, but were empty the next day.

If it's a card glitch then fair enough (or not - it was the card that came supplied & isn't backed up - my fault!) but if the machine's at fault then it'll have to go back I suppose.

The main thing is that this is a RARE fault on the R24 - not a recurring issue, as I had with the D888 phantom power thumping which ruined an otherwise amazing machine.

Thanks!
0 x

Henky
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Henky » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:02 am

It's much more likely it's a card glitch then a faulty machine.
In any case it can't be a mechanical failure like with harddrives.
However there is allways a chance the project wasn't saved correctly so you can't select the project but the wav files are still there.
It might be worth a try to browse the card with your computer and look for these wav files.
This may happen if you do not shutdown properly as the loaded project is saved while shutting down.
0 x

sedayne
new to this board
new to this board

Post by sedayne » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:52 pm

Thanks for this.

Is it possible to read a Zoom project on a PC? I'll give a roll!

Must stock up on cards...
0 x

J.J.

Post by J.J. » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:09 pm

sedayne wrote:Is it possible to read a Zoom project on a PC?
Yes and no.

There will be a lot of .ZDT files and maybe some .SEQ files. These are binary and I don't know how to manipulate them.
However, under /ZOOM_R24/PROJECT/[project_name]/AUDIO will be all of the *.WAV files associated with [project_name]. There will probably also be a PRJINFO.TXT file, which is a text file containing the track assignments.

So you can get to your recordings very easily. Effects settings, track settings, and so forth are probably encoded in those .ZDT files and getting at that info will be a little more difficult.
0 x

smasher
new to this board
new to this board

Post by smasher » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:29 am

Same problem with my R8:copied the card on my computer,formated a new card,put the files back and problem solved! Just one of the projects is not opening on the r8,checked the files on my comp and it is missing the prjinfo.text file! I think will have to do the recording again because I don't know how to restore that file back!
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:03 am

smasher wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:29 am
Same problem with my R8:copied the card on my computer,formated a new card,put the files back and problem solved! Just one of the projects is not opening on the r8,checked the files on my comp and it is missing the prjinfo.text file! I think will have to do the recording again because I don't know how to restore that file back!
Create a new, empty project, copy the WAV files into that project, and assign them to the tracks (you may have to play them one-at-a-time to figure out what the contents are, and where you wanted them in the tracks).

Recreating track sequencer data may be tedious.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards