Zoom Gear & Home Recording Forum

Zoom PS-02, PS-04, MRS, H4, HD16cd, R16 and home recording information, discussion, and support

This forum is supported by Google Ads

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:30 pm 
member in good standing
member in good standing

Hello, all. I'm a new arrival, so you'll have to pardon me if this subject has been covered before, but a search didn't turn up anything.

I just bought a Zoom R8 and set out to hook it up to my computer, which is an Asus N75S with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. The 64-bit driver crashed the computer. I downloaded the latest driver, and it crashed too. A third try in Safe Mode also failed. All attempts required uninstalling each time and with at least one, using Restore to roll back to an earlier date to remove the crash debris.

I put the 32-bit driver into my smaller XP laptop, and it worked perfectly. Aha, sez I, and tried to load the 32-bit driver into the Asus XP Mode, after applying a registry tweak to restore the Install feature that Microsoft took out of Win 7 XP Mode. The result was a driver icon with a red X through it ("Your software may not have installed correctly").

So at least I have the R8 working on the XP computer, but I'd certainly like to use the bigger HD screen on the Asus. It looks as if Zoom should update their 64-bit driver. Part of the problem may be that it hasn't passed Microsoft approval, and this causes error messages (which the Zoom docs say you can ignore). This doesn't inspire confidence.

As for the Cubase program, I spent an infuriating two hours of back-and-forth obtaining activation numbers, watching a video (the world's worst way of imparting information, short of smoke signals), opening a Steinberg account, and waiting for multiple emails. Finally the account said I was registered, activated, and good to go. I started the Cubase program and it said it had to be registered first. I thought that the lack of a driver might be preventing a proper install, so I moved to the XP computer and went back to my Steinberg account. They gave me a new set of numbers for XP. They didn't work either. When I run Cubase, all I get is a choice of Register or Cancel, even though everything looks legit in my account. Round and round we go.

I'm not really worried about Cubase, since such an insane registration probably means that their software isn't very good either, but I'd really like to get the 64-bit driver to work. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Bill Markwick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:01 am 
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

I'm using the R8 64 bit driver for almost a year everyday now, never had one single crash.
Must be something special about your windows configuration what's causing this.

For starters did you install with administrator rights?
Right click the setup.exe and choose the second option "Run as administrator".

You're saying "The 64-bit driver crashed the computer".
Can you describe in detail what happens?
Did you get a blue screen or something?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:30 pm 
member in good standing
member in good standing

Many thanks for your reply. I did the Run as Administrator, and followed Zoom's advice (unplug all USBs, etc) and the results were the same:

1. The main driver installation seems to work. But when I plug in the R8 in Audio Interface mode, the driver installer runs for 2-3 minutes (far too long) and then I get a driver icon with a red X.
2. The computer runs very slowly and some things don't work. If I click on Uninstall R8 Driver, it says "Preparing to Remove" and then it just runs forever without doing anything. (Sometimes if I wait 10-15 minutes the progress bar will continue but it never completes the uninstall.)
3. If I click Restart, it displays the "Shutting Down" screen and then it stays like that - I gave it 15 minutes, but no shutdown.

I can force a shutdown with the power switch, and when it restarts I can then uninstall the driver.

Today I tried a final desperate attempt: I restored Installer to safe mode and ran that as administrator. The driver installed perfectly with a green checkmark, but when I rebooted into normal mode, Windows said there was damage and wanted to run Repair. It took quite a while to restore sanity. I rolled it back to an earlier time with Restore. It looks like I'm out of luck (and methods).

I think you're right about my Win 7 being different. It's new - the computer is two months old - and what I've seen on web forums indicates that my 64-bit version isn't quite the same as others.

As for Cubase 5, the whole thing is a mystery. My Steinberg account makes it look as if I did everything correctly, but when I run the program it says only Register or Cancel. I thought it was supposed to install and run for 30 days as a trial version. If I click Register, it just makes me go around in circles again.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:04 pm 
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

I think i can help you with the Cubase install, i've done it many times with succes.
However i think we should concentrate on getting the R8 driver installed first.

Obviously there's a problem accessing the driver files prepared by the installer when you plug in the R8.
First check if there's any antivirus app running which might cause trouble (try running with the antivirus disabled).
Second use a workaround by not using the installer but install the driver yourself.

This workaround is as follows:
- Make sure (if possible) the driver is uninstalled.
- Go to the directory where the R8 setup is located.
- Double click "Data1.cab" you will see all the driver files inside this cab file
- Select them all and right click, you will be able to unpack them to a seperate directory
- If you got a message the files could demage your PC, just click OK
- Now connect your R8 and when it asks for a driver point it to the directory where you unpacked the files

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:03 am 
member in good standing
member in good standing

> Now connect your R8 and when it asks for a driver point it to the directory where you unpacked the files

This is getting interesting. I disabled the antivirus programs, unpacked the CAB file into Data1, checked to see that there no Zoom files in Start or System32/Drivers, and plugged in the R8. Nothing happened. I used Device Manager to locate the R8, which shows up in Sound/Video as both "Zoom R8" and "Zoom R8 Driver". I had it update both by pointing it to the unzipped Data1. It said that the driver was already installed and wouldn't do anything. I couldn't find any way to force a reinstall. Also, the Win 7 update seemed to work too quickly - I don't think it's trying the new files at all.

A search for zmr8*.* turned up nothing. Using Device Manager, I found that the driver files for the R8 are in System32/Drivers, but they seem to be generic audio files with names like drmk.sys and usbaudio.sys. I didn't want to change those.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:44 am 
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

You should be able to uninstall the R8 driver in the Device Manager when you right click it.
BillMarkwick wrote:
and plugged in the R8. Nothing happened
Weird it should at least recognize a USB device was connected and ask for the drivers.
I'm starting to think there's a USB hardware problem.
Did you check the obvious, like another USB cable or another USB port?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:56 pm 
member in good standing
member in good standing

Henky wrote:
You should be able to uninstall the R8 driver in the Device Manager when you right click it.
BillMarkwick wrote:
and plugged in the R8. Nothing happened
Weird it should at least recognize a USB device was connected and ask for the drivers.
I'm starting to think there's a USB hardware problem.
Did you check the obvious, like another USB cable or another USB port?

I replaced the cable - no difference. I tried different USB ports, and that made a big difference. In Devices and Printers it was sometimes Zoom R8, sometimes USB Composite, and sometimes nothing at all. In Device Manager>Sound it shows up twice, as Zoom R8 and also Zoom R8 Driver.

This will take some time to test because everything keeps changing. I'll report ASAP. And thanks for your help!

Bill
Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:19 am 
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Come to think of it.
Plugging in the R8 alone won't make any difference of course.
You have to set the R8 to either audio interface mode or card reader mode by pressing the USB button on the R8 itself.
But I'm guessing you already done that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:57 am 
member in good standing
member in good standing

Henky wrote:
Come to think of it.
Plugging in the R8 alone won't make any difference of course.
You have to set the R8 to either audio interface mode or card reader mode by pressing the USB button on the R8 itself.
But I'm guessing you already done that.

Yes, I did. :-)

Progress Report: I did some further testing with the USB problems. The supplied cable *is* different. It works in some ports and not others. A replacement cable worked in all of them. (That's typical of every USB device that I own - it works over here, but not over there.)

What I get on plugging in is that with two of the ports, the R8 appears in Devices and Printers as "Zoom R8" and with the other two, it appears as USB Composite Device.

When I plug it in to any of the ports, assuming that the R8 is completely uninstalled, Win 7 doesn't ask for a driver location, but tries to install its own. I turned off the internet so it wouldn't look in Windows Update, and it seems to be trying to install a generic USB driver - the result is a driver icon with a red X.

The Zoom shows up in Device Manager>Sound as two entries, Zoom R8 and Zoom R8 Driver.

If I use Device Manager (or other method) to update the driver and point it at the unpacked files in Data1, Win 7 says "The best driver software for your device is already installed." and it won't do any more. If I let it search on the net, it says the same thing. If I right-click the driver and select Properties, it says that it's a Generic USB Device and "This driver cannot start (Code 10)".
Code 10 means that one of the driver installation steps is causing an error. Microsoft says this about it: "The most common resolution is to update the drivers." Yes, yes, thank you, Microsoft.

If I uninstall the R8, then I can't do anything because there's nothing to work with. It looks as if I need a way to install the Data1 files as a driver without Win 7 interfering and loading a generic driver instead. There must be a way to force Windows aside and make it do what we want.

By the way, Henky, I love your website. I admit that I don't know much about electric music, being a traditional/renaissance/baroque acoustic guitar kind of guy, but I do have some favourites among electric bands.

Bill
Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:59 am 
Yoda
Yoda

Are some of those ports USB-3 (or whatever the super-high speed protocol is called)?

While USB-3 is supposed to be able to fall back to USB-2, the recognition response may be just off...

(I've got a [Sony, I think] USB flash memory which has no problems on my Win7 laptop... But plug it into my old WinXP desktop and 95% of the time it gets recognized as a magneto-optical disk drive with no media! And you can't do an eject/"safely remove" on it as the computer thinks it is empty. I had to go into the device manager and tell it to remove the object from the list)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to learn to play an instrument

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:57 pm 
member in good standing
member in good standing

Wulfraed wrote:
Are some of those ports USB-3 (or whatever the super-high speed protocol is called)?

Yes, all the ports are USB 3.0. That's a good point. I'll look into that.

Thanks for the input,

Bill
Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:32 am 
member in good standing
member in good standing

To sum up so far, the problem with installing the R8 64-bit driver by unpacking the CAB file is that trying to update the driver in Device Manager gives the message that the best software is already installed. I happened to find an interesting way around that. By entering an environment variable, you can make Device Manager expand the number of files that it displays. In this mode, updating the driver is different - Windows actually tries to install the unpacked CAB files in the Data1 folder.

Unfortunately, it returns yet another error message, this time "Windows encountered a problem installing the software... Data of this type is not supported". Well, at least it tried. I don't think USB 3.0 is involved - I assume the updating doesn't look at the USB ports. However, maybe there's something in the USB system preventing the proper response when I plug in the R8 (that is, Win 7 tries to install a generic USB driver instead of asking for a driver location). That's it so far. The quest continues.
(By the way, if I put the R8 in Card mode, it works perfectly when I plug it in. I can view and edit the contents of the SD card in Win 7.)

For anyone interested, here's how to expand the Device Manager display:

System>Advanced System Settings>Environment Variables>New>
In the New System Variable window, type or paste in the Name field:

devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices

and in the Value field, type 1. Click OK as needed to exit.

Open Device Manager and select View>Show hidden devices. You'll see an expanded listing of all devices.

Bill
Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:10 pm 
member in good standing
member in good standing

Henky wrote:
I think i can help you with the Cubase install, i've done it many times with succes.

I'll leave the 64-bit driver install for now. I have it installed okay on my XP laptop and I would really like to get Cubase working. I went through the registration process twice and both times both my Steinberg account and the eLicenser say that I have a full license.

But when I run Cubase 5, all I get is Register or Cancel. If I click register, it starts over again and I go around in circles. I downloaded the latest eLicenser and clicked Maintainence. I clicked Recover and it said that there were no problems. But Cubase just won't start. Help!

I'd really like to use Cubase - I have a trial version of Reaper running, and although it can recognize the R8 driver, it costs $60. I'll pay it if I have to, but free is better. :-)

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:17 am 
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

OK the first thing i would like to know is what you see when you open the eLicenser Control Center?
On the right side it shows the licenses, what does it say there if anything?
Select "my licenses" on the left if needed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:26 pm 
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Good idea Henky. I don't recall reading anywhere in these posts that Mr. Markwick actually went through the now infamous process of getting the download "key" or "license" and applying it to eLicenser (my apologies if you've already done this).

Once you get the danged eLicenser thing ACTUALLY WORKING (an amazing process in itself...kind of reminds of me "amazing race" OR...you just need amazing grace to get through it all without killing something)....then things should work fine. And I'm finding myself actually kind of LIKING Cubase so far. Haven't yet found a good "look-ahead" boost/limiter...but now that I have 5AI (came with my Yamaha Motif keyboards), perhaps it's in there and I just gotta find it.

Anyhoo...good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:52 pm 
member in good standing
member in good standing

Henky wrote:
OK the first thing i would like to know is what you see when you open the eLicenser Control Center?

Thanks for replying, Henky. I'm lost here. I've been using PCs since they came out in the 80s and I've never seen anything as awkward as the Cubase registration. (And I did go through the process of getting a number from them in email and plugging it into the eLicenser.)

Below is a screenshot for the eLicenser and a screenshot from my account at Steinberg.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s103 ... enser1.png

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s103 ... nberg1.png

In the eLicenser, if I hover the mouse over the line in the right pane, it says "This 'Full' license allows to use the product for an unlimited time period".

In my account, there are several entries because I tried to register several times. The eLicense number that ends in E0AD seems to be the current one. One small oddity: the disk that came with the R8 is called Cubase LE 5, but the registration calls it Cubase AI 5. I don't know if this makes any difference.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:29 pm 
member in good standing
member in good standing

Henky wrote:

It says this:

AGGGGHHHH!

Okay, Cubase AI and Cubase LE are not the same thing. I redid the registration and this time it activated and installed perfectly.

Assigning Blame: well, yes, that was pretty dumb of me, but then Steinberg didn't do a very good job of displaying what appeared to be identical products. In fact, this must happen to enough people that Steinberg should have a test for it: "Are you sure you chose the right product?"

Well, anyway, I now have the R8 and Cubase running on my XP computer. I'd prefer the full HD screen on my 64-bit computer, but that's for another day.

If I ever buy a copy of Cubase AI, I'm already activated for that one. :-)

Thanks!
Bill