Zoom R16 "Saving Error" loop

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Dominic
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom R16 "Saving Error" loop

Post by Dominic » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:16 am

Hi, I have just recieved a second hand Zoom R16> When I start it up it doesnot let me open a new project as per instruction manual but immediately takes me to a Project 000 which it won't let me save giving a "Saving Error". I have followed advise onteh formum re the SD card. However it will not let me format the factory issued 1GB card in the machine as per manual. I have formatted the card on the PC but it is still not recognised. I have since tried 2x other cards of my own (both formatted) a 2GB standard and a 16GB SDHC. The unit recognises neither of these.

Without the ability to see SD cards to save the project I am stuck in a loop as I cannot move forward with any of the functions.

The forum talks about a mystical R16 Factory Reset. Can you tell me how to do this as I am keen to get it back to original factory settings in the hope I can start from the beginning.

Dominic

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: Zoom R16 "Saving Error" loop

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:20 am

Dominic wrote:which it won't let me save giving a "Saving Error". I have followed advise onteh formum re the SD card.
There is no "Saving Error" listed on page 44 of the manual. There ARE:

No X
X Protected
X Full
X Access Error
X Format Error
and generic
X Error

where X is one of: Card, Project, File, USB Device

The forum talks about a mystical R16 Factory Reset. Can you tell me how to do this as I am keen to get it back to original factory settings in the hope I can start from the beginning.
Must be really mystical, as the only uses of the word "reset" in the manual are for: 1) the warning that the real-time clock has lost power and needs to be reset to current date/time; 2) the new project settings where one has the option to "use previous project's settings" or "reset to default new project settings".

I presume you have 1) verified that the write-protect switch didn't get moved when inserting the cards; 2) the pro9ject is not being flagged as "protected".
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to learn to play an instrument

Dominic
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Dominic » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:27 pm

Hi, checked everything mentioned:

No the card isn't locked
It does say "saving error" even if it isn't denoted in the manual
There isn't a project saved, as the card is formatted so it can't be locked. Also the system won't let me access any of the project menu other than "save" so I can't get into the project protect function

Any other ideas - I am still keen to return to factory settings - does anyone know how this is done?

mikethebass
dues paid
dues paid

Post by mikethebass » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:16 pm

The only thing I can think of is when updating the R16's operating system.

You can go to the Zoom site then download the most recent version of the OS (V2?) and there are on screen instructions as to how to load this onto the R16.

Perhaps someone else can be reather more precise.

Dominic
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Dominic » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:17 pm

Hi Mike,

thanks - mine has V1.20 loaded so I downloaded V1.21 - the manual instructs you to load this on to an SD card then hit Play and Record when you start up - but as it can't seem to recognise any of my 3 SD cards it doesn't see the update!

Can you push software onto the machine through the PC connection or perhaps using a USB stick - I don't see any reference to this in the manual?

Dominic

mikethebass
dues paid
dues paid

Post by mikethebass » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:32 pm

I don't think you can load an update from the PC or a USB stick.

egrobes
new to this board
new to this board

Post by egrobes » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:12 pm

New here. I've been scouring the internet trying to find a solution to this problem as well. Cannot format/erase sdhc card.. which is brand new and compatible. Cannot create a new project or save an existing project. The error that pops up "Saving... error" is quite real. No idea what's going on, but this is an actual problem and one that is not listed in the manual. Anyone have any insight into a possible solution?

EncoreEd
new to this board
new to this board

Post by EncoreEd » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:32 pm

This problem seems to be related to the one in this thread. Having purchased an R24 several months back as an alternative to a 50 pound rackcase and laptop for location recordings, and having worked through several successful practice sessions including one the night before, I went to a live gig yesterday. To my dismay, the Zoom 24 refused to boot. One and a half hours (the duration of the performance) were spent on repeated reboot attempts, SD Card swaps, reading the owner's manual etc to no avail.

Finally, after return from the gig, I was able to fashion a workaround.

1. Boot without SD card.
2. Tool, SD Card, Exchange
3. Insert SD Card, Load

At this point the previously unrecognized SD Card is recognized and the unit boots into usabity.

This problem occurs intermittently both with R24"s original 2G and my aftermarket 32G cards.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I presume the R24 needs to be returned for service.

Thank you.

407bug
new to this board
new to this board

Post by 407bug » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:04 am

This is a dicky memory card, just had the same fault straight out the box, I used a different SD card and it worked

407bug
new to this board
new to this board

Post by 407bug » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:37 am

I'm beginning to think the small Micro SD card Goes in side the bigger SD and this could be the issue, but will double check. :nuts:

strum6211
new to this board
new to this board

Post by strum6211 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:16 pm

I realize that this is an old thread. But I am having the same problem and did not see any solution in the original thread. In my case, I have SD cards that have worked fine in the past. After deleting some audio files on my computer, the card read "card full" in my R8 even though it was empty. So, I deleted all of the R8 formatting files from the card as well. Now, when placing it in the R8, I get the same problem as the original poster. It immediately opens to a project and requires saving before moving to any other function. But when I try to save, I get the "saving error" message. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:05 pm

Have you /formatted/ the card, not just delete ad-hoc files?

Format on the computer -- not over the USB connection. If really paranoid, download SD Formatter https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ and use it to do the formatting.

In the future, do not delete ad-hoc files; use the R16 functions to delete tracks and projects, so that it can update the information files that identify what belongs where...

Oh, and make sure the write protect tab isn't on <G>
--
Baron Wulfraed

strum6211
new to this board
new to this board

Post by strum6211 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:01 pm

Wulfaed,

Thanks so much. Worked perfectly. I generally use my R16 for recording and then move the card to my computer. Perhaps the easiest approach would be to simply reformat the card every time after copying the files to the computer.

hoodoo voodoo

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:14 am

Wulfraed wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:05 pm
Have you /formatted/ the card, not just delete ad-hoc files?

Format on the computer -- not over the USB connection. If really paranoid, download SD Formatter https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ and use it to do the formatting.

In the future, do not delete ad-hoc files; use the R16 functions to delete tracks and projects, so that it can update the information files that identify what belongs where...

Oh, and make sure the write protect tab isn't on <G>
I tried to format a 16GB type 4 Sandisk SDHC card in my computer using the SD Formatter (version 4.0), as mentioned above. Of the 3 possible format types, I tried to use the Full Format (Erase) option, but it reported that it was unable to do this, and performed a Quick format instead. Then I tried to do the 3rd option, which is Full (Overwrite) format...and this seems to be working. I'm not sure if there are any disadvantages of this type of format process, compared with either Quick or Erase formatting....Wulfraed, do you know ?

However, something not mentioned here is that the R16 already has an onboard format process, which can be accessed by Tool>SD Card> Format. Wouldn't this be the best method of all, as it creates the necessary file structures for the Zoom to record to (ie PROJ,SYS, ZOOM.ZDT EFXDATA.ZID) folders ?
Indeed if you simply format the card in the computer alone, and then insert the card into the R16, it will detect the card as being unformatted, and present you with the choice of SD CARD: FORMAT ? So why do it twice....and not simply go straight to the R!6 for formatting?

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:26 am

I've never found an SD card that understood the "Erase" command either. The "Overwrite" should hit every allocation unit on the SD card (along with setting up the reserved space at the beginning of the card).

The internal formatter might just be the equivalent of the "Quick" command -- which might just be writing to the FAT and root directory areas, but not confirming all of the card is clean.
--
Baron Wulfraed