R8; Recording two tracks at once

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
glenn.b
member in good standing
member in good standing

R8; Recording two tracks at once

Post by glenn.b » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:27 pm

:oops: I admit it-I could use help, I spent a good bit of yesterday going thru the PDF manual for the R8, and I am at a loss. I was trying to find the procedure for enabling and recording on two tracks at once, and for the life of me I could not do it. Also, I could not find the rules pertaining to this, such as "you can record on two ST.Linked tracks at once, but you can only use one algorythem (SP?) at once" or "you can only record two mono tracks at once". I'm certainly not brand new to the R8, I've done a bit of recording with it, though I've just not had a need to record on two tracks at once until now-my goal is to put my 18 watt in the closet and mic it properly in there, and then use bedroom as a place to play the guitar and sing at the same time. Thanks in advance-any help would be much appreciated!

Glenn
PS if my post lacks clarity, I will be glad to re-explain
0 x
KILGORE (OVER P.A.)
"I will not harm or hurt you.
Just give me back the board, Lance.
It was a good board and I like it.
You know how hard it is to find a
board that you like." ~ APOCALYPSE NOW

Henky
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: R8; Recording two tracks at once

Post by Henky » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:25 pm

I thought the figures on page 25 of the manual were pretty clear on this.
You can record 2 mono tracks or 1 stereo track
Some effects are stereo but most are mono in...
1 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:12 pm

<blink><blinK>

I'd think the basic recording would be obvious...

If you have two inputs connected, and recording levels/gain set to avoid clipping, it should come down to arming a pair of mono tracks (or one stereo linked pair).

Using insert effects would be covered by page 81 -- you can only have one algorithm active, and most of them are mono input to mono output (the HDx had some mono-in/stereo-out).
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

glenn.b
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by glenn.b » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:44 pm

Thanks to the both of you for the info- Henky, I was so into looking for a written step-by-step procedure that I completely missed the obvious, much to my chagrin :x . Baron, thank you for useful contribution. Please forgive me, as soon as I posted this I got very busy, and am just now getting back to here (Thank Goodness!) -Glenn
1 x
KILGORE (OVER P.A.)
"I will not harm or hurt you.
Just give me back the board, Lance.
It was a good board and I like it.
You know how hard it is to find a
board that you like." ~ APOCALYPSE NOW

tuktuk
new to this board
new to this board

Post by tuktuk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:12 pm

Nevertheless, despite obviousness and clarification I still have a question - I can arm two track at once (with separate mono inputs) only if they are tracks 1 and 2. Choosing any other number will turn my first armed track into green. Why is that?
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:47 pm

tuktuk wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:12 pm
Nevertheless, despite obviousness and clarification I still have a question - I can arm two track at once (with separate mono inputs) only if they are tracks 1 and 2. Choosing any other number will turn my first armed track into green. Why is that?

Manual, Page 25

When using 2->2, input 1 goes to the odd number track, and input 2 goes to the even number track. Typically these will be adjacent tracks (as would be required for stereo linking)... So:

1, 2 => 1, 2
1, 2 => 3, 4
1, 2 => 5, 6

Some devices might support games like 1, 2 => 1, 4 (so long as the left most is odd and the rightmost is even). Whether the R8 is one of these I can't say. The R16/R24 are 1:1 systems, input 1 always goes to track 1 (or 9 if one switches banks), input 2 to track 2, etc.

The manual for the HD16 explicitly states the use of an odd/even PAIR, and that you must hold the mode button for the odd track while pressing the mode button for the even track to arm both.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards