Anyone opened up an R24/R16? got a cable stuck

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
husksolow
member in good standing
member in good standing

Anyone opened up an R24/R16? got a cable stuck

Post by husksolow » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:29 pm

Hey everyone, I'm new here. :) been recording on various machines for over 20 years. bought a Zoom R24 a few months ago & love it...well I did until today :(

Here's the problem, I had a synth plugged in to 2 inputs on the R24. I was using RCA cables plugged into "RCA to 1/4 inch Jack" converters (see link below)

http://www.knowzy.com/Images/American_R ... daptor.jpg

I unplugged the RCA cables & left the 1/4 inch Jack converters in the inputs. Later I was taking out the 1/4 inch jack converters & when I pulled the first one out, the tip of it was still inside the R24 input! (top tip..NEVER do that...)

So now input 5 has the tip of a jack stuck inside it..Grrr

I found a guitar site where someone had a similar problem with a guitar amp, where they drilled into the input with a a small drill bit...I don't fancy trying that at all, even though it worked for him.

So..I was wondering if anyone has opened up a Zoom R16 or R24? if so do you think it would be easy to get at the input & get it out? there's so many screws on the back & I don't want to cause more problems.

Any help/advice would be greatly Appreciated :)

/Husk
0 x

selbalicious
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Anyone opened up an R24/R16? got a cable stuck

Post by selbalicious » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:41 pm

See this post: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14485

and that post refers to another one (can't seem to find it immediately) where someone tried to open the case up. I would THINK it wouldn't be too tough.
0 x
Kevin B. Selby
https://www.facebook.com/TheJKDuo/ <-- Live Performance
http://kevinselby.com <-- Original Music (free downloads if you're smart enough to hack the music player...HAH!)

selbalicious
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by selbalicious » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:43 pm

0 x
Kevin B. Selby
https://www.facebook.com/TheJKDuo/ <-- Live Performance
http://kevinselby.com <-- Original Music (free downloads if you're smart enough to hack the music player...HAH!)

husksolow
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by husksolow » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:14 pm

selbalicious wrote:See this post: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14485

and that post refers to another one (can't seem to find it immediately) where someone tried to open the case up. I would THINK it wouldn't be too tough.
Wow! that was quick :D Thanks a lot Jedi! I'll read through it tomorrow & let you all know how I get on

Thanks again
/Husk
0 x

mikethebass
dues paid
dues paid

Post by mikethebass » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:15 pm

I'm really glad to see this post as I too have a couple of (non TSR ) patch leads stuck, this time in inputs 7 and 8.

So far this hasn't been a problem though it means I use Jack / XLR adaptors for all other channels instead of taking the chance of getting another lead jammed.
0 x

michaelmucklow
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by michaelmucklow » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:43 am

mikethebass wrote:I'm really glad to see this post as I too have a couple of (non TSR ) patch leads stuck, this time in inputs 7 and 8.
One day I nearly had this problem...could barely unplug the 1/4" TRS. For this very reason, before I get any stuck in my R24, I have switched to using ONLY TRS to XLR cables with guitars.

- Michael
0 x
Fingerstyle Guitarist & Award Winning Composer
Zoom R8 | REAPER | MacBook Pro | KRK Rokit 5

Dare Worms
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Dare Worms » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:50 pm

I had the problem in inputs 7 & 8. Since I was dumping from my Fostex A-8 I wanted to use all 8 inputs and the tips were really jammed in there.

In the end I took it to a music equipment repair shop. The case is not that easy to get open and the tech had to desolder the cables from the circuit board (manufactured that way to make factory automation work better he said). They are not meant to be serviced but he was able to get it back together and it all works fine.

I spent a few bucks to get super high quality cables and have been using my R24 quite successfully ever since.

If anyone knows a way to broadcast a message to Zoom R series users that cheap cables are very risky we could help future users from doing some damage to their units.

DW
guitarbeginnerschordchanges.info
0 x

Robert H
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Robert H » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:02 pm

Try this.

With the jack plugged in. Push the jack in (while plugged in), then pull it out.

Worked for me!
0 x

SpiralScratch
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by SpiralScratch » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:47 pm

Is there any way to make the sockets less stiff/grabby?

I tried a squirt of WD40 on a plug then inand out a couple of times
I don't know if that made much difference.

I'm thinking of building a patchbay so I don't have this problem. Sometimes I feel
Like its going to break I have to apply such force to unplug.
0 x

t321
new to this board
new to this board

Post by t321 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:35 pm

I wrapped a piece of plastic around the post that the tip was originally attached to and pushed the plug back in and pulled out the tip. The plastic made a snug fit that allowed be to pull the tip out. Super easy! Worked on two different tips on the first try!
Last edited by t321 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

husksolow
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by husksolow » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:27 am

t321 wrote:I wrapped a piece of plastic around the post that the tip was originally attached to and pushed the plug back in and pulled out the tip. The plastic made a snug fit that allowed be to pull the tip out. Super easy! Worked on two different tips tips on the first try!
I just tried what you said using Cling film/saran wrap but it didnt work, what kind of plastic did you use? You mean like a plastic bag?
Mine is stuck in Input 5 , I only have 7 instruments/mics to plug in so so far I havent needed it.
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:59 am

Just going from descriptions, I'd presume the plastic was something thick enough to push the contact spring far enough to the side to let the "bulb" get past it. I'm also presuming the wire is still attached to the tip or there wouldn't be anything to pull it up with.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

byrdsworth
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by byrdsworth » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:22 am

Hi
I had this problem with a tip left in a guitar input
I got a self tapping screw that was only slightly larger than the tip
screwed it into the back of the tip til it grabbed then pulled it out
worked for me ... took a couple of tries with different screws though

Cheers
byrds
0 x

t321
new to this board
new to this board

Post by t321 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:32 pm

husksolow wrote:
t321 wrote:I wrapped a piece of plastic around the post that the tip was originally attached to and pushed the plug back in and pulled out the tip. The plastic made a snug fit that allowed be to pull the tip out. Super easy! Worked on two different tips tips on the first try!
I just tried what you said using Cling film/saran wrap but it didnt work, what kind of plastic did you use? You mean like a plastic bag?
Mine is stuck in Input 5 , I only have 7 instruments/mics to plug in so so far I havent needed it.
I wrapped a thin piece of clear plastic around the bare post, such as the one shown on the left, the end result after removing the tip is shown on the right. Maybe a small piece of tape wrapped around the post would do the job as well.
tips2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

husksolow
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by husksolow » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:51 am

Hey Fellow Zoomers :)

I started this thread 5 years ago, tried a few suggestions & nothing worked for me at the time, but since I didn't really need 8 inputs then I wasn't too bothered. Today though I finally got round to trying again & the Screw method worked! Yee Haa! I tried a few different sized screws & finally found the perfect one, it needs to be quite thin (I used 35mm long, 2mm wide) so it can screw right into the tip. I only had to turn the screw about half a turn for it to grip into the tip & it came straight out :)

I'll add some pics

Good Luck!
/Husk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x