Zoom Gear & Home Recording Forum

Zoom PS-02, PS-04, MRS, H4, HD16cd, R16 and home recording information, discussion, and support

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Zoom R8 Cubase LE6
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:31 am 
new to this board
new to this board

Hi
I recently purchased the Zoom R8 Recorder:Sampler:Interface:Controller which comes with CUBASE LE6.
It says in the start up guide to use Cubase LE continuously I have to register.
I have done this and, racked my brain trying to figure out as to why every time I open Cubase it still says register now and I only have a limited time to use it.
I have been all over the Steinberg site, tried everything and still nothing.
I also don't understand why I can't use Ezdrummer in Cubase.
I am a novice when it comes to all this, but I'm at my wits' end already.
I also have Reaper v4.22, but for some reason when I interface the R8 with my Laptop and open Reaper I'm unable to use any effects.
The effects work fine in Cubase, but I can't get Ezdrummer to load and what's the point when I have registered LE6 yet it tells me I have limited time of 30 days. :x
Please help.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Zoom R8 Cubase LE6
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:41 am 
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Cubase is a royal pain to register. It has to do with the e-Licenser software. See if you can't find an updated version of e-licenser on Steinberg's site and download/install it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:49 am 
Yoda
Yoda

Also -- you may need to run the licensing software using an administration account; otherwise it may be unable to update the registry and the next time you load the software it sees the unregistered value in the registry.

I gave up on Cubase LE... Run the licensing program from admin account -- but it tells me to wait for an email which will only be seen from my user account; so break out of licensing, log off, log on to user, get email. Log off, go back to admin, and try to get to the same point in licensing and it fails...

Granted: I have Sony Vegas Pro on this machine... While Vegas is, these days, an NLE /video/ editing program, it started life as an audio editor that had video capability patched in. I also have an old copy of Cakewalk Music Creator, and a Sony SoundForge Audio Studio (the cheaper version -- bonus gift for updating Vegas; SoundForge is mainly single file editor -- the help system recommends using Vegas for multitrack work [I would not suggest Vegas Studio unless they unrestricted it in the later versions -- it used to support only three video (overlay, effects -- green screen/etc., main) and three or four audio tracks per project)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to learn to play an instrument

Last edited by Wulfraed on Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:57 am 
member in good standing
member in good standing

Brian FC wrote:
I also have Reaper v4.22, but for some reason when I interface the R8 with my Laptop and open Reaper I'm unable to use any effects.

Hi Brian,

I also use REAPER and have not had an issue with using FX along with my R24. Any further details you can provide? Perhaps I can help with this particular issue.

- Michael

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:59 pm 

When using the R8 effects with Reaper, check and set to use 16bit format and see if that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:38 pm 
new to this board
new to this board

Thanks guys.
I am new to all of this, Reaper, Cubase, Ezdrummer, and the R8.
I don't have my gear here with me now, so I will try any suggestions later during the week and provide you with more details.

Thanks again.
Any advice at this stage is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:56 pm 
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

the single best advice we can give you is to simply stick with it! Don't give up until you get it to work. The very SECOND you stop using the R8 in standalone mode and start to use it as an "audio interface" (AI) you have stepped into another world inside another dimension across the street from the wormhole to earth. Once you get the drivers working and everything "talking" to everything else, it's pretty cool what you can do.

Also never forget that if you can get a particular "job" done on the R8 in "standalone" mode, definitely go that route and simply drag your .wav files off the SD card into your DAW (Cubase, Audacity, Sonar, whatever).

My personal mantra is: never try to use software to do a job that hardware can do. Hardware is (in general) much more robust and adept at doing certain things. Take advantage of that and let the strengths of software (it's visual, effects are usually easier to apply, editing is generally easier) do what software is good at.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:13 am 
Jedi
Jedi

selbalicious wrote:
My personal mantra is: never try to use software to do a job that hardware can do. Hardware is (in general) much more robust and adept at doing certain things. Take advantage of that and let the strengths of software (it's visual, effects are usually easier to apply, editing is generally easier) do what software is good at.
I think the hardware vs. software decision depends on what you're doing. To be honest, I wouldn't ever want to go back to using my R16 in standalone mode for recording, but then I generally don't just set everything up to record sets. I usually do tracks one at a time and it's so much easier to do that in audio interface mode with a laptop at my side.

For example, I recently did a session with a vocalist laying down several tracks of lead and backing vocals. For the leads he did each verse individually and then came back and did all of the choruses. Then he laid down the backing vocals by laying down all of the similar parts one at a time. The constant skipping around was dead easy on the PC; the thought of doing it with markers in standalone mode (especially since inserting a marker renumbers everything after that - UGH!) makes me cringe. That session literally took less than half the time it would have in standalone mode, plus I was able to tweak things on the fly instead of waiting until I copied from the SD card to a computer afterwards.

And don't get me started about punching in with standalone mode versus interface mode - painful in standalone mode (including more of the above-mentioned hassles with marker renumbering) and just a few seconds of effort in interface mode.

Different strokes for different folks, and for different recording needs. I wouldn't dismiss interface mode too quickly. Yes, it can take a bit of work to get there (although I just plugged everything in, brought up Reaper, and it all just worked), but once you have it set up you're good forever, and the time savings will definitely pay off many times over as time goes by.

As always, just :2cents: from some guy on the innerwebs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:44 am 
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Agreed. I appreciate the viewpoint because it shows yet another usage that is perfectly legitimate and makes a lot of sense.

Very soon I'm going to start working on individual songs for a "covers" album and I had envisioned doing it on the R16 in standalone mode. It sounds like I might find that to be aggravating which means I'll have to get it working in audio interface mode. I actually like working in a DAW way more than standalone...so hopefully I won't have any troubles.

And yes, it seems that once you get the drivers setup properly, the computer system (PC or Mac) just "works" every time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:34 am 
member in good standing
member in good standing

I got Cubase LE5 with my Zoom R8 last year and never could get the darned thing registered. I do most of my stuff on the R8, then just transfer the Wav. either to Garageband or directly to iTunes. However, I find it is a royal pain doing any sort of editing on the R8, and am dying to figure out Cubase. Spurred on by this thread, I'll try later today to download the e-licensing thingy...how's their tech support?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:32 am 
new to this board
new to this board

I got it sorted guys. Cubase is now registered. Now I have to get used to the R8 and Cubase. It is a whole new world compared to what I'm used to. I have been using the MRS 802 for the past 5 years so this will take a lot of practice. The reason I got the R8 is because I have travel plans and want music with me. Going from the MRS 802 to the R8 is going to take some getting used to that's for sure. Really looking forward to being able to travel with it. I'm going to muck around with Cubase for a while and see how that turns out, if I still have problems with using effects inside of Reaper I'll let you know. Thanks to you all for the advice. It's great to know this forum exists.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:43 am 
new to this board
new to this board

thehouseplanman wrote:
I got Cubase LE5 with my Zoom R8 last year and never could get the darned thing registered. I do most of my stuff on the R8, then just transfer the Wav. either to Garageband or directly to iTunes. However, I find it is a royal pain doing any sort of editing on the R8, and am dying to figure out Cubase. Spurred on by this thread, I'll try later today to download the e-licensing thingy...how's their tech support?

Hi there... Yep, I downloaded the eLicenser and sent an email explaining my situation to info@steinberg.net

Within a couple of days they got back to me with the activation code.

I also noticed the code was waiting in my steinberg account.

Hope this helps, good luck.