Zoom Gear & Home Recording Forum

Zoom home recording gear information, discussion, and support

This forum is supported by Google Ads

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:59 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:42 pm 
member in good standing
member in good standing

I was considering upgrading to Windows 8. Has anyone tested the ASIO drivers with Windows 8 yet? I'm hoping the Windows 7 drivers should be good for Windows 8 as well.
0 x

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:37 pm 
member in good standing
member in good standing

OK, I installed the Windows 8 RTM on a separate partition from my main computer. It appears the Windows 7 drivers will not work on Windows 8. I there any word on when updated drivers will be available?
0 x

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:15 am 
new to this board
new to this board

From an email:

"Exiquio
Are there any plans to make the drivers for Zoom R8 compatible with Windows 8...
Oct 20 (8 days ago)

Info
Oct 24 (4 days ago)

to me
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We have not carried out a operation check of the drivers that we are releasing with Windows 8 yet.
Supposing a problem arises, we have to solve and will release the new driver.
Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely yours,
ZOOM Corporation"
0 x

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:57 pm 
Jedi
Jedi

The only times that I've upgraded Windows (going back to 3.1) was when buying a new computer. And then only well into the life cycle of the product. I would never consider switching to a new OS right after it's released. No matter what cool new features they have, it's not worth the hassle of dealing with drivers and other problems as the product vendors and the OS provider get them worked out. That's always been my policy and I have no regrets. I only switched from XP to Win 7 when buying a new laptop last year. Just turned it on, installed the already-stable drivers for everything, and I was good to go.

Since it sounds like Zoom's approach is to wait for the OS to come out and then deal with problems if/when they arise, that further cements my commitment. There will be enough problems with drivers from vendors that actually tried to prepare; when the approach is, "Meh, let's see how it works and worry about it then", I'll live happily with 7 until the pioneers have taken all of the arrows.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:57 pm 
member in good standing
member in good standing

I certainly understand in waiting to upgrade. I'm in no rush to upgrade, but I saw on competitor's products they already have Windows 8 drivers that have came out, and it took Zoom almost a year after release of Windows 7 to get the Windows 7 drivers to come out.

Like I said it's not a huge deal. I'm going to Windows 8 because I am getting a touch screen PC and I use Sonar for my DAW and they are going to have touch screen capability in the next patch of Sonar X2.
0 x

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:42 pm 
new to this board
new to this board

On Windows 8, if you run the file named "setup" it will fail. This is to be expected. When the setup fails, Windows 8 should "popup" a window asking you if you want to run it in compatability mode. If you select this, it will rerun the setup and setup will succeed with a window popping up that asks if it indeed suceeded. Select yet. Now windows is at least partially aware of Zoom R*. That said, I can't figure out how to get it to control my DAW (Studio One 2). This might be because of ignorance as I just got the my R8, but it might be that it just doesn't work under Windows 8.

Microsoft allows one to download a compatibility tool at their site to buy Windows 8. When I run the checker with my R8 on, windows list the R8 as one of the many pieces of software the SHOULD work. Meanwhile the Device Manager thinks no driver is installed.

From my list of compatible software as provided by the Windows 8 Upgade Assistant:

"
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Realtek

ZOOM R8 Audio Interface
ZOOM
"

I will update this if I can successfully use the device as a controller for either Cubase 6 LE (?) that came with the device or my preferred DAW. I hope Zoom provides a "regular" driver soon. I don't want to keep my other activities at bay because I can't upgrade confidently.

EDIT

I don't like reading manuals... I was able to setup up the my DAW (PreSonus Studio One 2) with the R8 as both an audio contoller and audio interface after following the steps I outlined before and selecting a Mackie Control style option as describe in @ http://www.zoom.co.jp/faq/r8.

I have project I want to record in a few days and I will let y'all know my experience with Windows 8 and the current drivers.

***ETC***
Worked perfectly using Studio One 2 with the device setup as Mackie Control.

Last edited by exiquio on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:56 pm 
Yoda
Yoda

I'm amazed that /drivers/ installed using compatibility mode function...

I've got a language compiler system that wouldn't even install correctly using the W9x compatibility mode in WinXP (Fujitsu COBOL v4 -- supplied with COBOL text books in the Y2K period; Fujitsu itself only supported the 16-bit v3 as a low-cost package, never putting v4 into the download system)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to learn to play an instrument
0 x

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:51 pm 
new to this board
new to this board

:loud: OK, was very excited to have a new notebook and extract my old Cubase Le files from a few years back and surpisingly had almost no problem loading and setting Cubase Le up and importing my soundfiles off the CDs I'd burned the files on..Then that's where it stopped.

I got as far as Windows 8 regcognizing the Sound files off the H4, but, i could not figure out how to set up the H4 as an interface..now I went to Sam Ash who owns ZOOM they gave me the number to Tech Support at Samsung(300E5C A0A) and all I could get out of the help there was that I needed an updated Driver. Ok so when I originally looked to download the new drivers, nothing recent was available, then 2 new Drivers suddenly appeared, the 64-bit Vista Versiona dn the 32-bit Vista version. I didn't know which to use so I downloaded the 64-bit version, it showed up and I was able to extract the file, but, still couldn't use the Device manager to switch the Audio In(default Mic) to the H4..it wasn't there..at all..so I went back and uninstalled the file and have been doing a bit more headache-ing research before I press on..any help here :?:
0 x

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:20 pm 
Yoda
Yoda

Quote:
now I went to Sam Ash who owns ZOOM they gave me the number to Tech Support at Samsung

<blink><blink>

Unless some massive shake up has taken place, Sam Ash is a music/electronics /dealer/, Samson Technologies is the US /distributor/, and ZOOM is the Japanese company that produces the products. Samsung is a Korean electronics firm.

And I suspect, since Win8 is so new, that it will take at least 6 months before Zoom has certified drivers available for that OS (one problem is the M$ is getting stricter on driver installation -- they /must/ carry a M$ certificate before the OS will let them be installed).

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to learn to play an instrument
0 x

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:26 pm 
new to this board
new to this board

For anyone having issues with drivers for your R16/24/8 with Windows 8 try this:

To get started:

From the Metro Start Screen, open Settings (move your mouse to the bottom-right-corner of the screen and wait for the pop-out bar to appear, then click the Gear icon).
Click ‘Change PC Settings’.
Click ‘General’.
Scroll down, and click ‘Restart now’ under ‘Advanced startup’.
Wait a bit.
Click ‘Troubleshoot’.
Click ‘Advanced Options’
Click ‘Windows Startup Settings’
Click Restart.
When your computer restarts, select ‘Disable driver signature enforcement‘ from the list. Reboot again once the driver is installed and all will be well.
Once Windows boots up plug in your R16/24/8 and connect it as an audio interface as normal.

This has allowed me to use the audio interface and mackie control functions in Cubase on a Windows 8 PC.
I have not tested other DAWs.

Hope this is of help to some.
0 x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:37 am 
new to this board
new to this board

Total newbie here, please bear with me.

I've been using the R24 in standalone mode for a while now, and am very pleased with it.

But I've just installed Cubase on my (Windows 8.1 64 bit) laptop, installed the latest R24 drivers, and tried connecting things up.

I get as far as selecting USB Audio I/F on the R24, plugging the USB cable in to both devices and... nothing. No connection icon on the R24, no response from the PC - doesn't even recognise that anything has been plugged in. The USB port is OK - it'll recognise data sticks, etc.

Any ideas, guys?

Mike
0 x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:44 am 

I would start by leaving the R24 in stand-alone mode until the physical connections have been made, but put it into interface mode before you start up the DAW software.

Then start Cubase.

FWIW, I don't see any messages from Windows when I connect/disconnect the R24 unless it was used as a card reader.

I can't Cubase. I pitched the Cubase disc as I use Reaper.
0 x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:12 am 
new to this board
new to this board

BobF wrote:
I would start by leaving the R24 in stand-alone mode until the physical connections have been made, but put it into interface mode before you start up the DAW software.

Then start Cubase.

FWIW, I don't see any messages from Windows when I connect/disconnect the R24 unless it was used as a card reader.

I can't Cubase. I pitched the Cubase disc as I use Reaper.

Tried that. Got a message on the PC saying it didn't recognise the device.
0 x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:23 am 

hmmmmmm ... my PC is also Win 8.1 x64, but not a laptop.

I would try typical Windows stuff ... delete drivers, reboot, reinstall drivers, reboot ... try different cable, different USB port, etc.

Maybe even try the R24 with a different PC to make sure the R24 side is good.

Sorry I don't have anything special to offer. The R24 worked like a charm out of the box here.
0 x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:27 am 
new to this board
new to this board

BobF wrote:
hmmmmmm ... my PC is also Win 8.1 x64, but not a laptop.

I would try typical Windows stuff ... delete drivers, reboot, reinstall drivers, reboot ... try different cable, different USB port, etc.

Maybe even try the R24 with a different PC to make sure the R24 side is good.

Sorry I don't have anything special to offer. The R24 worked like a charm out of the box here.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Just thought I'd try here first, just in case there was some little-known 'feature' known only to the cognoscenti!
0 x