How can I get a decent blues sound

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Interventizio
new to this board
new to this board

How can I get a decent blues sound

Post by Interventizio » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi
I'm quite new to this device (the R16), and I've been playing around with the various effects. But for the life of me I can't manage to get a decent blues sound, with the right amount of gain and which doesn't sound like a transistor radio from the 20's or a somewhat saturated mess. Maybe it has to do with the speaker (they are ordinary pc speakers). Any idea about where I can find some sound sound tips? At the moment, I don't know if patches (is that what they're called? I mean: ampli simulator + effects) can be exported. If so, are there any on the internet I can download and use? :shock:
Thanks.
0 x

Interventizio
new to this board
new to this board

Re: How can I get a decent blues sound

Post by Interventizio » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:28 am

Anybody?
0 x

selbalicious
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by selbalicious » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:29 pm

I hooked a strat copy directly into Input 1 and then used the Insert Effect UK Blues and I thought it sounded great. BUT, I am not a true-blue guitar player...so what do I know?

I think most guitarists usually modify their signal with a stompbox of some sort (I have the Line6 M5 and the Zoom G5 and they're both fantastic).
In other words, if you're expecting that the internal effects of the Zoom R16 to be the most rapturous guitar effects in the galaxy, I'm gonna suggest you might be disappointed. They didn't necessarily position this piece of hardware as the end-all/be-all guitar effects device. That said, they tried to provide some decent "just good enough" effects for messing around with.

If I were in your shoes I'd look at dedicated stompboxes. I think the Line6 M5 is down around $100 US and that's a HUGE bargain in my opinion.
0 x
Kevin B. Selby
https://www.facebook.com/TheJKDuo/ <-- Live Performance
http://kevinselby.com <-- Original Music (free downloads if you're smart enough to hack the music player...HAH!)

Interventizio
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Interventizio » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:14 pm

Hi and thanks.
Yes I thought so but I wanted a confirmation. These kinds of devices are good for effects that are seldom used nowadays (flanger, phaser, chorus), and for delay/reverb effects. They fail quite miserably in the overdrive/amp sim department imo.
Ok I'll unbury my old Ibanez valve overdrive pedal.
0 x

johnnyforgetty
new to this board
new to this board

Post by johnnyforgetty » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:01 am

quite old request, but a problem i experienced: i cut off the "harmonics" parameter and it sounded better.
0 x

Smurf
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Smurf » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:58 pm

Thanks for the tip johnnyforgetty!
0 x
H2, MRS-4, MRS-1044

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Jim_Fogle » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 pm

Some users like the Zoom DSP based algorithms without changing any of the settings. Other users use the algorithms as a starting point to create their own. Still others like the power of the DSP but make their own settings from scratch by starting at an empty setting. Others use all outboard effects gear.

I think the R16 is at a disadvantage compared to the R8 because DSP performance is spread over eight inputs instead of the two inputs of the R8.

What counts though is what is the easiest and most fun for you.
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:23 am

Jim_Fogle wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 pm
I think the R16 is at a disadvantage compared to the R8 because DSP performance is spread over eight inputs instead of the two inputs of the R8.
Not really -- since most of the effects can only be applied to one track at a time (dual-mic, stereo/line, mastering are available for just two tracks at a time, and the 8x algorithm does use 8 tracks but only has something like three stages of logic). So... One track getting DSP number crunching, and seven tracks just passing from input to output. That's likely not much different from the R8. Especially if one is not using all 8 inputs on the R16/24. Heck, it may actually be an advantage -- as the non-effect tracks may need to be delayed so their values "come out" at the same time as the processed track's data (loading 8 tracks of input with one going through the algorithm and the other 7 getting shuffled to output may consume the time where two tracks with one processed may need time-wasting loops on the other track's data <G>)
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards