anyone have the wiring diagram, the schematic for the r-16??

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
ALBettz
new to this board
new to this board

anyone have the wiring diagram, the schematic for the r-16??

Post by ALBettz » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:06 am

I bought an r16 from a pawnshop, and the thing worked fine for six months and suddenly stopped connecting to the computer, on opening it up I found three wires unsoldered onto the main board and the little sister board, where the usb is. I am not sure where any of these wires go as they leave no trace (wires sticking out on either board to tell me where they came from, it would save me tons of money if I just had the schematics, I can easily solder them back. Hope someone here can help me?
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: anyone have the wiring diagram, the schematic for the r-

Post by Jim_Fogle » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:36 pm

Unfortunately, Zoom does not share schematics with anyone. Something goes bad during warranty, they replace the unit; outside of warranty, too bad but good luck to ya'.

If it's the four wires to the usb port, then one is dc ground, one is +5Vdc, one is data+ and last is data-. If you cut a usb cable into two pieces and the cable is built to specifications the +5Vdc wire is red, dc ground is black, data + is white and data- is green. Plug the cut cable into the disconnected port and ohm out the wires. That may help you determine where they go.
0 x

ALBettz
new to this board
new to this board

Post by ALBettz » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:40 pm

not the usb wire itself, that would be too easy, this is wiring inside the unit itself
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:39 pm

ALBettz wrote:not the usb wire itself, that would be too easy, this is wiring inside the unit itself
I think the intent is that you use the external hacked cable to figure what each of the internal wires connect as... A continuity tester (or full up VOM/DVM) connected to the end of an external wire (which should be identified by the suggested color code; Google for USB connector standards) would show a connection when you touch the matching internal wire. When you identify the internal wires, you can look at the circuit card for likely uses... ground and 5V should connect to larger traces that tend to run around the board. The data leads will be less obvious, they'll likely lead to the main processor, perhaps via a smaller processor chip.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Bobw70
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Bobw70 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:54 am

It's too bad Zoom does not share or offer the R16 schematic, even for a nominal fee. There would be many improvements, mods or suggestions on this forum by now, if it were. The layout and schematic would help retain interest and the usefulness of the R16. Without the code, no one could copy or duplicate their design anyway, and doubt Zoom would lose proprietary firmware/hardware design based on the schematic/layout alone.

Other than profit being their mantra, I have never understood a corporate mentality of encouraging throw away electronic devices, hoping the consumer will either buy a new unit when it fails after warranty or go through the painful process of a factory repair. When my Zoom R16 dies, as other electronic devices have in the past without manufacturing support, (schematics, layouts), I either repair it or throw it away, and don't buy another product from the manufacturer.

FWIW, I have not had a single problem with my R16 since it was purchased in early 2009.
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:44 pm

Before last year, I felt cheated that Samson was the only repair shop that received factory support to repair Zoom products in or out of warranty.

Since Samson is out and Zoom North America is in even that option is gone. Zoom N-A replaces warranty units but out-of-warranty equals out-of-support.

My Zoom MRS-8 has been trouble free since my wife purchased it as a gift for me in 2006. I hope it continues to be as I am really comfortable with it.

I worked as a manufacturer's technical support/field engineer for 30+ years. It was difficult for me and my counterparts to get the design engineers to share information with us or production, let alone share information with outsiders. Yet Sales could bring in a rep from an important client and the engineers would spill their guts out fawning over the customer. We were seen as a loss center while Sales was a profit center. We finally had a company president that realized service made more profit selling parts and training than production selling new.
0 x

BobF
dues paid
dues paid

Post by BobF » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:03 pm

It's possible that a few pics would tell you what you need to know. You don't need a schematic to figger out where the wires belong do you?
0 x

ALBettz
new to this board
new to this board

Post by ALBettz » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:30 am

precisely what I need is a picture of the insides, if you have some please post them or email them to me at mrmellow1@gmail.com
0 x

yairisan
new to this board
new to this board

Re: anyone have the wiring diagram, the schematic for the r-16??

Post by yairisan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:02 am

ALBettz wrote:
Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:06 am
I bought an r16 from a pawnshop, and the thing worked fine for six months and suddenly stopped connecting to the computer, on opening it up I found three wires unsoldered onto the main board and the little sister board, where the usb is. I am not sure where any of these wires go as they leave no trace (wires sticking out on either board to tell me where they came from, it would save me tons of money if I just had the schematics, I can easily solder them back. Hope someone here can help me?
Should be quite easy:

USB pinout configuration is this: http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-connector-pinout

The important thing is to determine the destination of the DC + /Gnd wires (the data wires can be determined once you've done this).

To determine the Gnd connection:

1. Set your multi-meter (DMM) to Ohms.
2. Place one probe (either one) on an obvious earth point on the Zoom.
3. Touch the other probe on each wire in turn—whichever one gives you a zero (or near zero) reading is your Gnd wire.
4. Note that down.

To determine the DC + connection:

1. Set you DMM to DC.
2. Place the Neg/Black probe on an earth point (can be the one used in the above procedure).
3. Touch the probe on each of the three undetermined wires—whichever gives you 5V is your DC + wire.
4. Note that down.

Power-down the Zoom and solder the DC +/Gnd wires (which you have determined) to the board (refer to the link—follow the socket, not the plug, pinout). Solder both data wires (which you have NOT determined yet) to the USB socket/board, either way—you don't know yet, so just do it, but no damage can occur if you get it wrong; it just won't work. The Zoom will power up from the computer since you have the power wires sorted. If you got lucky. the Zoom should be functional again. If not, simply reverse the data wires and it should function again.

Easy peasy.
0 x