Re-amping technique - R16

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Zoomanoid
new to this board
new to this board

Re-amping technique - R16

Post by Zoomanoid » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:22 pm

Hi folks,
I'm recording a band next week on my R16 and was just wondering if my plan to re-amp a bass guitar will work or not.
It's a 3 piece punk band; drums, bass, guitar/vocals
Planning on recording the drums and bass together live, but I don't want bleed in my drum mics so I wanted to DI the bass and then send it through an amp/cab later on.

If the bass is on track 7 panned hard-right, and the drum tracks (1-6) are panned hard-left, can I send a signal from the 'right' output of the R16 into a bass amp, and then record the bass amp back into the R16 on track 8 (obviously making sure channel 8 is panned hard-left before pressing record)?
I'd be able to monitor using the 'left' output or headphones.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?
Seems to make sense to me anyway but just thought I'd get your opinions. I don't want to damage anything so if there are any big no-nos regarding impedance mismatch or potential feedback problems, please say so.

And finally, would I be able to use the same technique for bouncing tracks through outboard effects racks?

Cheers
Last edited by Zoomanoid on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

tls11823
Jedi
Jedi

Re: Re-amping a DI'd bass on R16

Post by tls11823 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:26 am

I'm not sure why you'd need to pan things around like that. After recording the DI bass, even after everybody else has left the room, mute the drum tracks, play the DI bass track, and then do your re-amp thing. That way you can just pan things where you actually want them.
0 x
[color=#4000FF][i]I reject your reality and substitute my own
--Adam Savage--[/i][/color]

Zoomanoid
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Re-amping a DI'd bass on R16

Post by Zoomanoid » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:32 pm

The panning idea is to avoid an endless feedback loop from the output back to the input.
I'd be able to re-amp without panning if I turn the fader down on channel 8 whilst recording, but then I wouldn't be able to hear what it sounds like, so that would be a bit useless.
If I did what you suggested, then I'd be sending the DI bass (track 7) from the R16 into the bass amp, recording the bass amp on track 8, but then that signal would also be going through the output (along with the DI'd bass), back into the bass amp, back to the R16 etc etc etc. You see what I'm saying?

And I'd be able to pan them "where I actually want them" after the bass-transplant, so it's not like I'm making any permanent sacrifices. All tracks will be recorded in mono, so it doesn't matter if channel 8 is panned left during recording, it's still a mono track.

Thanks for the reply :)
0 x

mikethebass
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Re-amping technique - R16

Post by mikethebass » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:08 pm

You don't have to pan during recording if you are recording mono tracks.
Mono tracks are only affected by pan during playback.
0 x

Zoomanoid
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Zoomanoid » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:20 pm

mikethebass wrote:You don't have to pan during recording if you are recording mono tracks.
Hi mikethebass , thanks for the reply.

Like I said in my previous post, If I don't pan the return channel from the bass amp (ch8) to the left, surely that signal will be going back out through the BOTH outputs on the R16, back to the bass amp, back to the R16 etc etc etc and create feedback?
My idea of sending it from right to left is to avoid that problem, but I'm not 100% sure if it will work or not. That's why I'm here.
Mono tracks are only affected by pan during playback.
You can pan channels before recording and during recording; I just checked.
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:27 am

Have you considered just turning the fader all the way down?
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Zoomanoid
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Zoomanoid » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Well yes, as I said in the post above. If I turn the fader all the way down I wouldn't be able to monitor it so would have no clue what it sounded like.
Please make sure you read posts properly before commenting.
Cheers
0 x

hoodoo voodoo

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:51 am

Zoomanoid wrote:
Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:20 pm
Like I said in my previous post, If I don't pan the return channel from the bass amp (ch8) to the left, surely that signal will be going back out through the BOTH outputs on the R16, back to the bass amp, back to the R16 etc etc etc and create feedback?
My idea of sending it from right to left is to avoid that problem, but I'm not 100% sure if it will work or not. That's why I'm here.
Do you even need to monitor the return from the bass cabinet at all...or if you do, couldn't you use headphones to do so ? Just get a sound you're pleased with at the amp/cabinet, mic it and set levels. You'll be doing the mixing of it later, so no need for monitoring during the reamping phase....and if you do, then headphones should suffice ?
0 x