external battery for R16/R24

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
BobF
dues paid
dues paid

Re: external battery for R16/R24

Post by BobF » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:58 pm

Bobw70 - I totally agree that current limiting makes sense in a scenario like yours. I was just clarifying the normal operations considerations for currents specs on these supplies.
0 x

Bobw70
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Bobw70 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:06 am

Cool BobF :^:
0 x

flamesong
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by flamesong » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:24 pm

Surely powering via the USB port is something which could be introduced by a firmware update by Zoom, especially as the USB voltage is the same as the DC input.

I'm awaiting delivery of an H6 which can be powered via USB so I'm sure this could be implemented if anybody at Zoom could be bothered and as the R16 and R24 are both current models, I think that there ought to be some incentive to do this.
0 x

ricklewisnewman
new to this board
new to this board

Post by ricklewisnewman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:14 am

Think about using a conmen 120 volt ac power source (available at auto parts stores) with a car battery. Then plug in the Zoom ac adaptor. Should solve all the problems.
0 x

hoodoo voodoo

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:41 am

I've bought myself a pair of these: http://www.win-plex.com/index-product%2 ... -400M.html

and now I just need to make a USB to barrel connector to connect it to the 5V rear input (where the mains transformer usually connects) of my R16.

Does anyone here happen to know the dimensions (or have a part number/ description) of that barrel connector ?
1 x

hoodoo voodoo

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Sun May 01, 2016 6:23 am

Just an update for all of you folks who might want to use an external battery (power pack intended for mobile phones, tablets etc) for your R8/16/24 as outlined in this thread...it works !!

Fortunately most of those you'll find on sale these days have 5V DC, 1000mA (1A) output, which is exactly what the Zoom wants to see. The more mA capacity (say over 1000) you can buy the longer it's going to last between recharges.

They tend to have a USB type A output connector, to which you need to attach a short cable with a barrel type of DC connector, the same one fitted to the mains transformer that comes with your Zoom.

I was all set to solder one up for myself (make sure that centre pin is +) when I came across one of these multi-USB adapters at a crazily low price: https://www.amazon.co.uk/THT-Trade-Univ ... B0052CZ7XG and simply snipped off with scissors at the USB end the remaining 9 connectors that are of no use (the one to keep is the only one with a yellow end, in the photo...check this is the case for you, however !)

Another version of the same adapter...the plug to retain is the yellow-centred PSP: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/high-qua ... 67197.html

The batteries used were 2 of the cells shown in the link directly above this post (April 27th posting)

The only downside to this is the thinness of the 'ribbon cable' joining the connectors...I figure it's going to fail after too many flexings and foldings, so I'm going to put heat-shrink over it to thicken and stiffen it somewhat.

Recording yesterday with just the inbuilt mics 7+8 on my R16, I got almost 3 hours before the charge lights indicated that I still has 2 LEDS of the 4 on the battery remaining, so I'm guessing I'd get 5+ hours charge per battery (probably less with phantom power engaged). If you do run flat during a gig, make sure you have 6 x AA cells inside the Rxx recorder and you'll get a direct and seamless switchover to internal cells, if the external power bank fails...and carry a second power bank (or mains transformer Zoom AD14) with you as well.

So, good news on the external power bank substitution front :metal: :clap:
1 x

AlexeiY
been here a while
been here a while

Post by AlexeiY » Sun May 01, 2016 10:09 am

Great info....thanks for sharing! :applause:
Cheers,
Alex
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sun May 01, 2016 9:20 pm

hoodoo voodoo,

Thanks for taking time to share your discoveries with everyone. It's been very interesting to follow your journey.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

jorri
new to this board
new to this board

Post by jorri » Wed May 18, 2016 6:24 am

You can get 9v batteries for pedalboards...can't remember who exactly, try voodoo labs and godlyke (can't quite remember).

The manual says DC in is 5v though. Yet batteries are 9v in total. You might be ok with a 5v supply. It must provide enough amps (the zoom is 1A supply, yet probably actually requires less, no way of knowing what unless you can find it online).
It especially must be the correct POLARITY, otherwise you fry things. Lower voltage won't hurt the machine but 9v could if the batteries go through a different circuit ( i can't imaging anything having components that can't take 9v though)
0 x

hoodoo voodoo

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Wed May 18, 2016 8:13 am

I think the 9v battery scenario is risky. I have used my two rechargeable "cell-phone power packs" (as outlined above) for several critical remote recordings now, and I get about 4 hours from each one. I have them gaffa taped together, and connected to the R16 via a short usb to DC barrel adapter cable.

The 4 onboard LED lights let me know how the packs are charged and when I get down to 2 lights I will generally switch over to the other cell during a break in recording. Even if the pack suddenly depleted and died while recording, I have the 6 x AA cells inside the R16 which would give me an instant (uninterrupted) changeover to these....while I swapped over to the other external cell.

For me the biggest plus is avoiding the slight buzz I get from the Zoom AD14 power adapter when it's connected to mains power, so I'm now "off the grid" and very happy with it.

These rechargeable cells recharge in around 25 mins from my computer's USB port, and the longer I use them the more confident I can become about their running time...whereas with 9 volt cells it would be an unknown duration, unless you sourced them all at the same time, and they had the same brand, expiry date etc. Too risky for me !
1 x

hoodoo voodoo

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:26 am

One additional benefit I have noticed lately across several recording venues (away from home) is a reduction in background noise of recordings when made using this external battery pack....which would probably also apply whenever internal AA cells were used inside the R16 )

My original Zoom AD14 mains AC adapter had stopped working, and I replaced it with a (non-Zoom) generic multi-volt adapter. I don't know if the AD14 has particular specs which prevent induction of powerline noise from mains AC, but my generic replacement didn't...at least in some situations. It was a hashy, static type of noise, which disappeared immediately when I unplugged the AC adapter and ran the R16 from external batteries, as outlined earlier in this thread

It was especially obvious when I would crank up the headphone output via the rear mounted pot or increase the red master fader, and was eliminated when I switched to the external batteries. Whether this noise would have been recorded onto the SD card I haven't verified, but it was alarming enough to hear it via the monitoring circuit, and for me it consitutes yet another great reason to run off batteries (either internal or external)
1 x

Controtempo
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Controtempo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:37 pm

hi all I wish u a very nice and powerful new year! :)
here another fan of the Zoom R16 :-) so a question to all and to @hoodoo voodoo
i have tried several times to connect trough even different power supply (a power bank that u will see in the video 2ah power or an external phone charger with 10ah power https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B013BD ... UTF8&psc=1 )
but no works. i have just tested/measured the cable+power bank with a "Volt meter" and it works well it gives 5v but the zoom r16 is not responding.
THe plug connector it seems to be right...i dont understand... :nono:
I can work just with the original power suplly that now i soldered /repaired
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T4Iu3 ... 7Iiq5DYccG
can u help me?
thanks!
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:55 pm

Normal USB 2.0 is rated for 5V @ 0.5A. Special "charge only" mode ports require special resistances to be provided by the device being connected to indicate it wants higher current. cf: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_Battery_Charging

You may be seeing 5V with a meter, but you aren't measuring the current being provided.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

sciurius
been here a while
been here a while

Post by sciurius » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:39 am

Maybe buy a cheap DC-DC converter (just a couple of $$) with fixed output of 5V and limited current?
E.g. https://www.adafruit.com/product/1065
0 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

hoodoo voodoo

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:37 am

Check with your volt-meter that the battery bank is putting out the correct polarity...the outer collar of the plug that connects to the R16 is (-) and the central inner barrel which connects to the 'pin' is (+)

I also have the same trouble with running my R16 off the battery bank...I have to push the button on the bank so that the LED lights go on. When these go on, I slide the R16 power switch to 'on' Often I have to do this 4 or 5 times before it is successful. I suspect it is because the battery current drops suddenly when connected to the R16...and maybe it needs a few seconds before the R16 "recognizes" it ? Keep trying several times
1 x