Zoom r8/16/24 and live music

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
hasoli
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom r8/16/24 and live music

Post by hasoli » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:12 pm

Hello everyone. İ have a zoom r8 and its amazing with countless ways. But now im aproaching the device with a different angle than i always have been doing.

İm a musician, playing guitar, flut, sax. Able to sing as well. İ have a 1 channel looping device (boss rc3) but its mainly for street gigs. What i want to do is in a way cheat the performance :D i dont know how for now, but i feel like there must be many ways. Maybe recording a backing track and gate looping it? So i dont want to waste time for discovering the wheel. İf you know any way that serves my needs, or you know aomeone has videos with that mind set, please share.
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Re: Zoom r8/16/24 and live music

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:08 pm

Do you use battery powered speakers or amplifier? If so create backing tracks of songs you play every performance. Record flute, sax and guitar tracks for each song then turn up the volume for the instrument tracks you are not playing and turn down the volume for the instrument you are playing.

I'm thinking you have to be a pretty good musician to be a street musician but you make better money by becoming a street performer. If you have performances in the same location you may have the same audience. By changing instruments each time you play a song your performance changes which is more interesting to you and your audience.
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

hasoli
new to this board
new to this board

Post by hasoli » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:36 am

first of all, yeah im not a bad musician thank you :P but there are extremely awesome street musicians all over the world. one example is bonn, germany. insane quality of street music. flamenco, gypsy jazz, different loopers, etc. and by the way, im already a street musician :) just looking for other bonus possibilities because "winter is coming" :P and i agree on your idea about making better money on the street.

yes i do use a battery powered amp, and r8 is also may be used on batteries. and i see your point. it most probably would be a very colourfull street performance to use 2-3 instruments and im sure people would tip very generously but in my city its not that safe to bring all the equipments to the street. i was a guitar player at first, then i realized street performing might be a good way to earn small amounts, and i started to play flute :D because its small, magical, and its easy to gather the parts and be ready to leave. thats why i only play flute on the streets.

and that is actually a nice suggestion thank you. a general backing track, and some background solos/arpeggios with each instrument. whenever i play one of them, i ll mute its channel. ok i ll study :D
1 x

Wolfini
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Wolfini » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:15 pm

I never tried anything like that, but two things come to mind:

1) I remember that somewhere on the R8 there is a function where you can program a "play list", so that one project after the other is played automatically without having to manually change the project etc. I think is intended exactly for live performances. Check in the manual, I guess it will be hidden behind the "project" button.

2) you can use a simple footswitch (any maker, does not have to be from zoom, I use a cheap second-hand 5 Euro footswitch) to press play and stop, which might be more discreet in the street performance if you want to "hide" the involvement of a background player. ;-)

Bye Wolfi
1 x

zoniopoda omnicolor
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by zoniopoda omnicolor » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:43 am

Wolfini wrote:I never tried anything like that, but two things come to mind:

1) I remember that somewhere on the R8 there is a function where you can program a "play list", so that one project after the other is played automatically without having to manually change the project etc. I think is intended exactly for live performances. Check in the manual, I guess it will be hidden behind the "project" button.

2) you can use a simple footswitch (any maker, does not have to be from zoom, I use a cheap second-hand 5 Euro footswitch) to press play and stop, which might be more discreet in the street performance if you want to "hide" the involvement of a background player. ;-)

Bye Wolfi
Yes, p98! That is a great feature for this use. I recall reading that and I figured it would be good for making an album sequence. But it says exactly that about live performance:

"The playback order of multiple projects can be registered and managed in playlists. Use these to play songs consecutively, for live performance accompaniment and when outputting to an external recorder, for example."
1 x

jjo
new to this board
new to this board

Post by jjo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:51 am

Hello. I created a playlist but the footswitch has no effect (set to start/stop). It works perfectly on individual Projects.
Any suggestions?
Thank you
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:36 pm

jjo wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:51 am
Hello. I created a playlist but the footswitch has no effect (set to start/stop). It works perfectly on individual Projects.
Any suggestions? Thank you
I responded in another thread that it seems the R8 does not respond to foot switch transport commands while the R8 is in playlist mode. If you want to use the R8 during live performances then copy all your completed song projects into one song project then use the foot switch "Play/Stop" command while playing the consolidated song project.

Assume you have five songs. Master each of the five songs to a stereo track. Export each stereo track master to your computer. Use the R8 to format a new SD card. Create a new song project on the new card. On your computer use Audacity, Wavesour or a daw to combine all five stereo master tracks into one continuous stereo track. I would leave about one or two seconds of silence between each song. Import the combined stereo track onto a stereo track of the new project of the new card. You already know "Play/Stop" works when you're working inside a project so combine all the songs into one song project.
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

jjo
new to this board
new to this board

Post by jjo » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:59 pm

Jim_Fogle wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:36 pm
jjo wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:51 am
Any suggestions? Thank you
I responded in another thread that it seems the R8 does not respond to foot switch transport commands while the R8 is in playlist mode. If you want to use the R8 during live performances then copy all your completed song projects into one song project then use the foot switch "Play/Stop" command while playing the consolidated song project.

Assume you have five songs. Master each of the five songs to a stereo track. Export each stereo track master to your computer. Use the R8 to format a new SD card. Create a new song project on the new card. On your computer use Audacity, Wavesour or a daw to combine all five stereo master tracks into one continuous stereo track. I would leave about one or two seconds of silence between each song. Import the combined stereo track onto a stereo track of the new project of the new card. You already know "Play/Stop" works when you're working inside a project so combine all the songs into one song project.
I like that - and I know it would work! Thanks for your help.
1 x