Mac OSX El Capitano

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
videobuff
new to this board
new to this board

Mac OSX El Capitano

Post by videobuff » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:52 pm

As a beta tester of OSX I discovered that the Zoom R16 will stop working after approx 30 seconds.

El Capitano is not yet officially released (end September) so I dropped a note with Zoom enquiring after updating the drivers.
So far they confirmed that they will look after it as soon as El Capitano is officially released.
I keep my fingers crossed.
You are forewarned not to upgrade as long as there are no new drivers. And if you want to try El Capitano, install it on another disk or in a virual box.
1 x

videobuff
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Mac OSX El Capitano

Post by videobuff » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:40 pm

Update - After the last update of El Captitano (build 15B17c) by Apple the time before the driver has is extended, but it still hangs. No answer yet from Zoom for a new driver.....
1 x

datisit
new to this board
new to this board

Post by datisit » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:40 am

1 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:50 pm

Videobuff and Datasit,

Thanks to both of you for sharing your information about Apple's OS audio issues and resolution.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

carelessorc
new to this board
new to this board

Post by carelessorc » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:19 pm

Hi Guys.
Just wanted to say El Capitan is still not working properly with the R24.
Last week I upgraded my mac mini to El Capitan.
Before I upgraded to El Capitan, Logic X worked well with my mac (running OSX 10.10 Yosemite).
But, after the upgrade there was a problem with the inputs while trying to record.
The input single was being completely corrupted. My acoustic guitar sounded very distorted and there was a kind of digital delay.
It was completely unusable. The distortion happened with a number of different input signals (mics, drum machine).
At first I suspected a hardward fault but I checked everything by swapping out (including the R24 - I have two of them).
(By the way I also confirmed that it wasn't a gain levels issue).

After finding a mention of potential issues in this thread, I reverted my mac to the previous version of the OS (Yosemite) and low and behold the inputs are working fine!

I am no computer expert but it seems to me that the drivers for using the R24 on a mac are not working properly with El Capitan.
I note that the Zoom website says that as of the 14th October the R24 was still being tested for compatability with El Cap.

Hopefully Zoom will give us new drivers soon. In the meantime I will have to go without the delights of El Capitan while this is being sorted.

Paul
1 x

carelessorc
new to this board
new to this board

Post by carelessorc » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:19 pm

If you use your R24 as an audio interface with a Mac computer, you need to know this:
It's official: R24 drivers will NOT work with the latest version of the Mac operating system, OSX El Capitan.
I received the following in an email from Andrew Larrabee at Zoom CUSTOMER SUPPORT:
"Thanks for emailing us with your question. You are correct that the R24 recorder driver is currently not compatible with the El Capitan OS. At the moment we do not have a specific release date for when the driver update will be ready, so keep an eye on our social media and website for announcements."

I hope they sort the new drivers soon, but in the meantime I appreciate them being upfront about the situation.
The old drivers continue to work fine on OSX up to version version 10.10.5, known as Yosemite.

Happy Recording

Paul
1 x

casiodan
new to this board
new to this board

Post by casiodan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:41 am

Has anyone found a workaround for this yet?? I'm just getting a really broken, corrupted sound....like a really bad synth when using the R24 as a Interface with El Capitan.

The problem is i have some software that insists on using the latest Mac OS so can't roll back.
0 x

carelessorc
new to this board
new to this board

Post by carelessorc » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:07 pm

Hi Casiodan.
I had the same problem as you. I looked for a work round but couldn't find one.
The Zoom website says they are still testing their drivers for the R24.

I have a horrible feeling Zoom may simply not bother to update the drivers - the R16 and 24 have been around for a while and I suspect that Zoom may judge that it's not worth the cost of writing the new drivers because the product is near the end of its life.
I hope I am wrong.

Come on Zoom - get your drivers out!

Paul
0 x

Zoomsterix
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Zoomsterix » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:51 am

Is their any update on this? Very frustrating!

Thanks
0 x

Zoomsterix
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Zoomsterix » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:54 am

New drivers out now! Thanks Zoom.
0 x

carelessorc
new to this board
new to this board

Post by carelessorc » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:50 pm

Well there's good news and bad news.
Good news: As Zoomsterix says - the new driver (v1.5.0) is out.
Bad News: it does NOT work at all on my system.
This is even worse than the old driver.
With the old driver I could play back audio but I could not record anything.
With the new driver I can't even play back.

The strange thing is this: I installed the new driver while I was still running OSX 10.10 Yosemite.
I could record and playback on the R24!
So - I upgraded OSX to 10.11 El Capitan and now I can't use the R24 at all!

So my appeal is the same as before please Zoom - sort the new driver out ASAP!

Paul
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:39 pm

Silly question from a Win7 user...

Did you try reinstalling the driver after doing the OS upgrade? Possibly it linked some other driver back in as the default interface driver.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

carelessorc
new to this board
new to this board

Post by carelessorc » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:09 am

Hi Baron
Yes I reinstalled the driver after the upgrade.
But things have moved on - and I am pleased to say my R24 is now working with El Capitan!
The solution was to plug it in to a different USB socket.
I should explain that ever since I started using the R24 on a Mac I have connected it to a USB 2 socket on the back of my Thunderbolt monitor and it worked perfectly. But not anymore. I have now discovered that El Capitan needs the R24 to be connected to one of the USB 3 sockets on the Mac Mini itself.
Anyway all good here with R24 and Logic and Reaper on Mac - I hope this may help others who are upgrading to El Capitan. If it doesn't work try a different socket!

Paul
1 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:44 am

carelessorc wrote:Hi Baron
Yes I reinstalled the driver after the upgrade.
But things have moved on - and I am pleased to say my R24 is now working with El Capitan!
The solution was to plug it in to a different USB socket.
I should explain that ever since I started using the R24 on a Mac I have connected it to a USB 2 socket on the back of my Thunderbolt monitor and it worked perfectly. But not anymore. I have now discovered that El Capitan needs the R24 to be connected to one of the USB 3 sockets on the Mac Mini itself.
Anyway all good here with R24 and Logic and Reaper on Mac - I hope this may help others who are upgrading to El Capitan. If it doesn't work try a different socket!

Paul
Don't know how difficult it is with Mac -- but possibly "removing" left-over device entries so that the OS re-searches for the drivers when something is connected to a port...

I've had a few cases with Win7 where the device manager wouldn't show a device or show it with an ! icon... Doing a "delete device" followed by a reboot caused the system to rescan for new devices and link the correct driver. (Though I've also got an Arduino Esplora that is a total pain to program -- all my other Arduino's have a separate chip handling USB programming, and that chip can do the reset of the main chip to get the bootloader active. The Esplora uses the main chip for both USB programming and as the target -- so each time it resets Windows sees a disconnect/reconnect, and tends to flip the com port identifier to a different number).
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

norv
new to this board
new to this board

Post by norv » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:18 pm

Hi, I am having problems getting my Zoom R24 to show up as a MIDI device in Mac/OSX/El Capitan's Audio MIDI Setup utility. It is recognised as an audio device, and functions well in audio interface mode, but does not show up as a MIDI device in Audio MIDI Setup or in DAW preferences, so I can't use it as a control surface. It does not transmit any MIDI signals that are visible in MIDI Monitor utility.
I have the latest Zoom driver for the R24 v. 1.5.0_0
I am running latest El Capitan OS X 10.11.2
I de-installed old Zoom driver 1.4.0, de-installed 1.5.0_0, and re-installed 1.5.0_0 (and re-booted).

Has anyone had any success with Zoom R24 as a MIDI control surface with El Capitan and the new Zoom 1.5.0_0 driver?
Thanks, Norv
0 x

donkelley
new to this board
new to this board

Post by donkelley » Fri May 13, 2016 11:04 am

Hi Norv, I know it's a long time now and I'm a noob here but I found the solution to Z R devices not showing up their midi device names as control surfaces on a mac.

With zoom connected via usb as interface, go into utilities/audio midi (I don't have my mac on me right now so this is from memory).

Click the MIDI Devices tab (or find some other menu way to display the MIDI devices... might be the Window->Midi Devices menu, not sure)... should have a screen full of items you have used in the past if you've done this before).

Click Rescan Midi icon in top row, the zoom should appear. if it doesn't, click the Add Device icon in top row (has + and a musical keyboard icon) and add it.

Everything should now work in your daw apps for control surfaces, you can quit out of the audio midi devices tool.

I registered on this forum primarily to learn how to solve this very problem, and nobody had instructions to solve it!

My R16 now works as control surface in every one of my daw apps perfectly and it's quite amazing!

I worked all of this out by myself using trial and error and desperation, so I hope it helps others out there.
2 x

Kites
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Kites » Mon May 23, 2016 10:07 am

donkelley wrote:Hi Norv, I know it's a long time now and I'm a noob here but I found the solution to Z R devices not showing up their midi device names as control surfaces on a mac.

With zoom connected via usb as interface, go into utilities/audio midi (I don't have my mac on me right now so this is from memory).

Click the MIDI Devices tab (or find some other menu way to display the MIDI devices... might be the Window->Midi Devices menu, not sure)... should have a screen full of items you have used in the past if you've done this before).

Click Rescan Midi icon in top row, the zoom should appear. if it doesn't, click the Add Device icon in top row (has + and a musical keyboard icon) and add it.

Everything should now work in your daw apps for control surfaces, you can quit out of the audio midi devices tool.

I registered on this forum primarily to learn how to solve this very problem, and nobody had instructions to solve it!

My R16 now works as control surface in every one of my daw apps perfectly and it's quite amazing!

I worked all of this out by myself using trial and error and desperation, so I hope it helps others out there.

Nice work, I'm sure this did help others. Do you happen to own Live 9? Hoping the R16 works as a control surface for it.
0 x