Zoom R16 Will not power on

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Rabid Gerry
member in good standing
member in good standing

Zoom R16 Will not power on

Post by Rabid Gerry » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:12 pm

Hi all, long time since I posted anything up here.

I got an issues with a second hand R16 I bought off ebay. It will not power on. Return it then? Well silly me, I did not test the unit until a long time after the initial purchase. I had gone away for a while and it just slipped my mind. Anyways, it dead seemingly.

I tried connecting to my PC via USB because someone told me it would come on automatically if I did this. And indeed it did, once, literally ten minutes before I typed this post. However it will not come on at all now. I switched it off to see if it would operate normally you see and of course it did not. Now it's back to being dead again no matter how many times I try turn it on or off or connected and disconnect from USB.

I know the adapter is comes with works fine, because it powers my other R16 no problem.

Anyone any ideas or have I been ripped off big time from the ebay seller?
0 x
Up the NWOBHM!!!!!

yodaspeak
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: Zoom R16 Will not power on

Post by yodaspeak » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:31 pm

can you try to swap out the SD card with the R16 that works?

Just guessing though.
0 x

Rabid Gerry
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Rabid Gerry » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:43 pm

You mean just change the SD card over? I've tried that as it happens. The time it powered on it had no SD card inserted.

I've tried with and without since an it just wont come on. Tried it with batteries also. Still dead. Tried with brand new SD card, nothing.
0 x
Up the NWOBHM!!!!!

yodaspeak
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by yodaspeak » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:08 pm

Another thought - are there batteries in the offending R16 unit? Take em out and try again.
0 x

Rabid Gerry
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Rabid Gerry » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:37 am

No it's not that, I began all this without batteries. It should really just turn on with the power adapter, just like the other one does.

I only tried it with batteries after I had tried everything else, just to see if it would turn on that way in case power was not coming in throught the power input.

I might have to sell this for scrap. Weird that it turned on randomly without a card and when I attached a USB cable from it to my PC.
0 x
Up the NWOBHM!!!!!

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:15 am

Rabid Gerry wrote: I might have to sell this for scrap. Weird that it turned on randomly without a card and when I attached a USB cable from it to my PC.
Which would make me suspect a cold solder joint or two... and you got lucky enough to have it make contact when you plugged in the cable... but after inserting/removing cables and cards it may have wiggled the circuit card enough to break the power path.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Rabid Gerry
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Rabid Gerry » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:05 am

You think so?

I could open it up and may be take a look see if there is anything obvious. Where would you suspec the cold joint is? Where the power input is? Wouldn't it have worked with batteries then? Hmmmm

I have no fear opening the device I have dabbled with things like this before. Modified a MRS802 to run off a card adapter back in the day.
0 x
Up the NWOBHM!!!!!

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:33 pm

Given that it isn't working with any of the three possible power sources (USB, battery, wall-wart) any bad connection is likely where ever all three join up... or later in the system. And maybe near the power switch. So... top-right corner might be a starting point.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Rabid Gerry
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Rabid Gerry » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:01 pm

Wulfraed wrote:Given that it isn't working with any of the three possible power sources (USB, battery, wall-wart) any bad connection is likely where ever all three join up... or later in the system. And maybe near the power switch. So... top-right corner might be a starting point.

Well I opened it up. Before I did though I tested it again. It turned on. Then I turned it off and tried it again. Did not work. So I attached a USB to it again. It worked. Turned it off again, then tried it once more. Stopped working.

So I opened it up. Saw nothing out of place, jiggled about a few connections whilst still on and open (dangerous I know). Nothing happened when I did this. Whilst open I tried it, and it came on. So I tested a things while it was on. Everything seemed to work whilst it was on. So I turned it off again. Tried the power switch right after. No luck. So basically what I discovered was if I leave it for a while, time varies I've noticed, it will power on at some stage. But there is no set way to tell when it will work, it's just randomly it will power on and it will never allow you to do it more than once.

I have no clue as to what may cause this. Anyone at all got any ideas?

One time I turned it on I noticed it had the Host LED on. Would this have anything to do with it or mean anything? Mind you this was only once.

Is it possible for me to factory reset say the next time I get it (if I get it) switched on again? Perhaps try a firmware upgrade or something?

All ideas welcome at this point before I smash it up.
0 x
Up the NWOBHM!!!!!

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:24 pm

I'd be hesitant to try a firmware upgrade if there is a possibility of a power loss during the burn.

If it seems to power on after it has been resting for some time, but not when rapidly toggled off->on, I'd now be suspicious of some capacitor, maybe holding a charge when it shouldn't and fooling the unit into thinking it is already on (or affecting a brown-out reset circuit or such)... OR there is some thermally sensitive component that is getting warm and needs to cool off. I don't know if air-dusters get cold enough these days (when they used freon, the air stream did get cold) to try debugging by giving short squirts at parts of the unit and seeing if it suddenly boots.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

Rabid Gerry
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Rabid Gerry » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:05 am

Oops! I actually performed the firmware update no problem. It went from 1.01 to 1.21 no issues. It also remained on for a while until I turned it off. And yes you guessed it, it would not come back on again when I tried it immediately after.

I have an air duster but I didn't bother lifting the front part of the chasis off to get to the actual components. I could try this though as I have an air duster.

It could be a cap holding charge but how the hell I find out which one? I know nothing about anything like this lol I can just dismantle and solder things :^:
0 x
Up the NWOBHM!!!!!

DugsBugs
new to this board
new to this board

Post by DugsBugs » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:40 am

If this question is still current. I have 3 of these and one has had the same issue.
The board inside is full of dry solder joints among other problems.
Very few people know how to fix it because where do you start. I used to twist the housing to get mine to power up.
And then one day, that wouldn't work for me.
Much cheaper to buy another one as I have. and move on.
0 x

philipPF
new to this board
new to this board

Post by philipPF » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:39 am

Hi everyone, I've got the same kind of problem with my unit.

Everything was working well until yesterday, but now I can only start and use the devices on batteries
When I try to start with power supply : nothing happens
When I try to plug it in USB : only the metronome red light blinking once when I plug the USB cord, but then nothing

I tried :
- removing SD card, using another SD card, etc... => no effect
- updating from firmware 1.20 to 1.21 (thanks to batteries) => no effect
- unmounting the whole device to check if there's anything wrong => I found nothing, everything seems well in place, especially the power wires ?

I'm still able to use the unit with batteries but it prevent me from using it as an audio interface ...

Is there something I could do ? Another thing to check ? Thanks a lot for your help
(The unit is not under warantee anymore !)
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:10 pm

Silly question I'm sure but have you tried using a different external power supply to make sure the one you have still works?

Also, you can use a volt meter to measure the incoming voltage under load. A good place to measure is where the power switch is mounted to the circuit board. The switch likely has three connections but only two will be in use. When you measure across the two ON-OFF switch contacts that are in use you should read 5 Vdc with the switch in the OFF position and zero, or almost zero, with the switch in the ON position.
1 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

sciurius
been here a while
been here a while

Post by sciurius » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:42 pm

What bugs me is that the USB power is not working as well. That practically eliminates the chance there is something wrong with the external power supply, and may indicate there is something wrong in the internal power circuits.
1 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

philipPF
new to this board
new to this board

Post by philipPF » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:39 pm

Shame on me ... the power supply was badly plugged

I tried with a short USB cable (1m), the unit was starting (no batteries and no power supply, only the USB plug)
I tried again with my main USB cable (a really long one like 5m) : without power supply it doesn't work (I guess the cable may be too long), but with power supply it's working well

Anyway, everything is back to normal, I was really stupid to not check the power supply sooner (but the fact that the long USB cable was not supplying power by itself was misleading me)

Thanks for your help and have a good weekend
1 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:51 pm

Great to read you resolved the issue. Enjoy!
1 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD