R8 - Using the Mic Pre on Internal Mics

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
michaelmucklow
member in good standing
member in good standing

R8 - Using the Mic Pre on Internal Mics

Post by michaelmucklow » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:43 pm

I had been trying various scenarios of recording acoustic guitar (I'm primarily a solo guitarist) with an external mic and applying a mic pre on the insert which for me came out "OK". But I wasn't liking the amount of room noise getting picked up.

Then I asked myself can the mic pre be used as an insert when recording with the internal mics.

Yep! :D

I used the Dual Mic pre inserted on Inputs 1 and 2, recording to channels 1 and 2 which were stereo linked. (I'm going to record to individual channels next to have better EQ editing capabilities). I set the input knobs to about 2:00 o'clock and the pre level to 98. For my ears there's much less room noise with this setup.

Thought I'd share this idea so others can make use of it.

Now if I can just get those dogs next door to quit barking when I'm recording! :evil:

Michael
1 x
Zoom R8, H1n, PS-04, G3, MS-50G, AC-2
REAPER | MacBook Pro | Beyerdynamic DT 770 | IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitors
Yamaha SLG200N & SLG200S | Ibanez AC240OPN | Epiphone LP Studio | Carvin AE-185 | Ibanez AS73 VLS | Hofner Shorty Bass | Cigar Box Guitar

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: R8 - Using the Mic Pre on Internal Mics

Post by Jim_Fogle » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:51 pm

Michael,

Thanks for taking time to share the hint and your experience. Hope you'll post some music for us soon.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

michaelmucklow
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: R8 - Using the Mic Pre on Internal Mics

Post by michaelmucklow » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:46 pm

I thought I would f-i-n-a-l-l-y come back and update my original post.

After tinkering a few days (back in 2016) with using the internal mics [with mic pre inserted] to record the acoustic guitar I determined there was still too much noise - for my ears - to continue on. I am quite picky on solo acoustic guitar recording and want to achieve the lowest possible noise floor.

While I think my approach is usable, I think it is better suited for instruments/vocals that wil sit in a multi-instrument mix where the noise can be "hidden".

Since the time of my original post I have moved on to the Yamaha SLG200N and SLG200S guitars for recording. Now I am content with the noise level. Yes I know it's not acoustic purity; but that no longer bothers me, nor has the audience of my music (typically) been bothered by it either. (I got so tired of fiddling with so many mic/preamp types and setups; buy-this-then-buy-that-then-buy-something-else.)

Still using the R8 as a primary recorder for the solo/duo guitar stuff. I make much use of the "TightHal" reverb and "ShortDLY" chorus/delay settings. My last album was recorded this way and so will the next one use this same setup, and probably the one after that. :)
1 x
Zoom R8, H1n, PS-04, G3, MS-50G, AC-2
REAPER | MacBook Pro | Beyerdynamic DT 770 | IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitors
Yamaha SLG200N & SLG200S | Ibanez AC240OPN | Epiphone LP Studio | Carvin AE-185 | Ibanez AS73 VLS | Hofner Shorty Bass | Cigar Box Guitar