mix monitoring levels while live recording

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
guitarthrower
new to this board
new to this board

mix monitoring levels while live recording

Post by guitarthrower » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:19 am

So I connect my R24 to Reaper to record 8 live tracks. I set the gain so no tracks are clipping. Then hit record.

I want to be able to use the track sliders to change the mix for monitoring while recording, but they don't do anything to the sound. It seems I am stuck listening the gain level of each track.

This is a different experience then when I record directly to the R24. I'm able to mix the headphone output while recording. Which leads me to believe that this has something to do with my settings in Reaper.

Anyone have any suggestions?
0 x
windows 10: Reaper 5.02: Zoom R24

tls11823
Jedi
Jedi

Re: mix monitoring levels while live recording

Post by tls11823 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:47 pm

guitarthrower wrote:I want to be able to use the track sliders to change the mix for monitoring while recording, but they don't do anything to the sound. It seems I am stuck listening the gain level of each track.
You could set up the R24 in control surface mode, which would allow you to use the faders for playback level. However, after playing with that just a little bit years ago, I decided that I preferred to just work the sliders in Reaper with my mouse. The control surface mode of the R series is kind of clunky, especially when you have more than eight tracks and you have to worry about switching banks, etc. In my opinion (and you know what they say about opinions), you may be better off to just forget about using the sliders on the R24.
0 x
[color=#4000FF][i]I reject your reality and substitute my own
--Adam Savage--[/i][/color]

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:18 pm

guitarthrower wrote:So I connect my R24 to Reaper to record 8 live tracks. I set the gain so no tracks are clipping. Then hit record.

I want to be able to use the track sliders to change the mix for monitoring while recording, but they don't do anything to the sound. It seems I am stuck listening the gain level of each track.

This is a different experience then when I record directly to the R24. I'm able to mix the headphone output while recording. Which leads me to believe that this has something to do with my settings in Reaper.

Anyone have any suggestions?
As mentioned, you'll need to configure the control-surface mode of the R24 so that Reaper sees the control changes.

In Audio Interface mode, you get a direct pass through of the inputs (GAIN control) to the A/D converters, and the digital result is sent directly to the computer (Reaper). The output from Reaper is then sent back to the R24 where it goes through the D/A converter to the headphone/speaker jacks.

ALL mixing/level control has to be performed on the computer. Control surface mode lets the R24 send MIDI level controls for the faders to the computer, where the computer can respond to them.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

guitarthrower
new to this board
new to this board

Post by guitarthrower » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:07 pm

Interesting. with the audio interface mode, I am able to mix with the R24's sliders during playback, just can't adjust anything during recording. Does that sound right?

Is there a good guide that you know of for setting up control surface mode so I can give it a try?
1 x
windows 10: Reaper 5.02: Zoom R24

ignatius_G
new to this board
new to this board

Post by ignatius_G » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:08 pm

I'm having this exact issue! Were you able to solve this?
0 x

ignatius_G
new to this board
new to this board

Post by ignatius_G » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:14 pm

Oh, I got it! you just use the 'balance' knob above the master fader level. the one where you can choose the mentronome ouput between output + phones ore phones only
0 x