Q3HD won't turn on

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
mjakeli6
new to this board
new to this board

Q3HD won't turn on

Post by mjakeli6 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:20 pm

Hello everyone.

Before I start I'd like to say that I've already read every post that I could find about this issue and nothing really helped. I'm not sure what to do about it anymore since I live in Croatia (Europe) and I can't get in touch with the distibutors for my country. I've tried to contact them, but I didn't get any reponse. And I've also tried to contact ZOOM via e-mail and their FB page, but still nothing. :cry:

The problem is that I can't turn on my Q3HD recorder. It worked fine before, and it never fell down or anything (there's no any physical damage). I've tried to replace the batteries (NiMH - rechargable), and still nothing happens. I formated my SD card and downloaded the newest firmware, but still nothing. When I plug it on the AC adapter, still nothing happens. The same is with the USB connection. The only thing that is working with all three power sources is the little red light that turns on and keeps lighting until I take the batteries out. Please tell is there anything I could pissibly try next or who to contact since I don't really know where to repair it here in Croatia. Thank you!
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Q3HD won't turn on

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:54 pm

Try leaving the batteries out overnight, you may not be leaving the batteries out long enough for the Q3HD to reset. Use a flashlight bulb and some wire or a battery tester (something that puts the battery under a load, not a voltmeter) to test each battery under a load, perhaps you have one or more rechargeable batteries with a false charge that shows a voltage but has no current to push the electricity. Check the Q3HD battery contacts.

How did you format the SD card and download the newest firmware if the device will not power up?
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD

mjakeli6
new to this board
new to this board

Post by mjakeli6 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:14 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to leave the batteries out overnight. BTW, I tried with 3 different types of batteries, so I think they are not the problem.

I formated the SD card by inserting it into the laptop and I also added a firmware file that way, but it was unable to install since I can't turn the display on. And I couldn't turn on the recorder even before I formated the card.
0 x

mjakeli6
new to this board
new to this board

Post by mjakeli6 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:52 am

I've tried to leave the batteries out overnight, but it's still the same. The contacts are clean and all the orher batteries (brand new) don't work eather. Only the red recording light turns on everytime. Is there any other way to do the hard reset or something?
0 x

zoniopoda omnicolor
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by zoniopoda omnicolor » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:22 pm

I think the only way to reset involves being able to turn the unit on..(manual page 19), unless you can find a reset button on the device. Just for kicks, did you try to load alkaline batteries instead of nimh?

I don't have this device, but another thought (out of desperation): what if you try press and hold the main button for 20 seconds or so (or menu, or other button, or combination?) Sometimes that can trigger special functions a tech might use...

Unfortunately, I was able to find posts by others who have had this problem with this unit, but no solutions.
0 x

mjakeli6
new to this board
new to this board

Post by mjakeli6 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:28 am

Yes, I tried to load brand new alkaline batteries and nimhs. I've tried to hold these buttons in every combination for 20 seconds, still nothing.

But thank you for your ideas, I'll try everything possible! I appriciate it very much!
0 x

zoniopoda omnicolor
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by zoniopoda omnicolor » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:43 am

I sure can't think of anything else. The next thing, if you can't get warranty service would be to try to get it repaired (if worthwhile).

I am no electronics wizard. If I was ready to give up on the device anyway, I might try opening the unit, for example see https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Zoom+Q3HD+ ... ning/30157 .
But unless there was something so obvious, I am not sure what good it would do. Unless a reset button could be located on the board somewhere. At the very least you could have a look-see and make sure everything is clean, and blow out any debris with some compressed air, etc., and re-assemble. That said, I have broken things worse by opening them, so I have to make peace with that possibility first.

That's where an actual electronics repair place that actually knew what they were doing, and could run tests (unlike me), might be a better choice.
0 x

mjakeli6
new to this board
new to this board

Post by mjakeli6 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:11 am

Thank you for your responses! I've opened it, but there was nothing obvious so I gave it to my friend who has a lot of expirience with repairing this kind of devices. If he finds out where the problem was, I'll post it here.
0 x

selbalicious
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by selbalicious » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:12 pm

Sent you a PM...
0 x
Kevin B. Selby
https://www.facebook.com/TheJKDuo/ <-- Live Performance
http://kevinselby.com <-- Original Music (free downloads if you're smart enough to hack the music player...HAH!)

m1ctk
new to this board
new to this board

Post by m1ctk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:12 pm

mjakeli6 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:11 am
Thank you for your responses! I've opened it, but there was nothing obvious so I gave it to my friend who has a lot of expirience with repairing this kind of devices. If he finds out where the problem was, I'll post it here.
Did you manage to get it fixed I wonder as I have the same problem as you. Seems to be a common issue with these after a while. Great shame
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:29 pm

Considering the original poster has only made six posts total since October 2016, and five of them are in this thread -- I somehow don't expect them to still be around.

The Q3HD really belongs in the "Other ZOOM" category but...

I note the OP mentioned a "red light" with all power sources -- but I don't see any thing in the manual (PDF downloaded just now) about an indicator light... If there is a separate indicator light, I'd be tempted to suspect broken lead to the display panel -- maybe the device is operating but nothing can be seen on the screen?

OTOH: I'm also concerned about the statement that the "red light" is there with all power sources. So far as I know, power indicators only light up when a device is actually turned on -- otherwise it would be draining the batteries when the unit is shut down. So... besides bad wiring for the display, there is the possibility of bad wiring for the keypad.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards