Zoom R8 replace buttons

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
flaphead
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom R8 replace buttons

Post by flaphead » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:06 pm

Hi all, my first post in this forum.

Just bought a used R8 and loving it so far. Used it for a couple of hours and I think I'm starting to get a hang of it.

One thing I wanted to share with you, might help some in the future: When I got the device, some buttons, most notably the cursor down button responded poorly. No surprise, considering how much menu navigation you have to do. So I opened it up, and checked the buttons. Cleaning didn't help so I considered to swap it. I found the JTP-1280 (http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/705 ... tary-1-pcs)to be pretty close to the original. It's squared, not round, and aprox. 2mm flatter than the original, I compensated for this, by soldering it slightly above the control-board. After the change, the cursor worked PERFECT, no difference to brand new. So good in fact, that now many other buttons (that I originally considered OK) felt pale in comparison. So I exchanged all cursor buttons, enter & exit, and the 5 transport buttons. Soldering was really easy, there's plenty space to operate.

In conclusion, all the heavy use buttons work like brand new. And the task was really simple, I'm certainly no expert at soldering.

Consider this, in case your buttons respond poorly.

Cheers, Florian!

zoniopoda omnicolor
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: Zoom R8 replace buttons

Post by zoniopoda omnicolor » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:34 pm

Thank you, I do like this post.

My R8 buttons work fine so far, but sounds like a good project for the out-of-warranty unit that may develop problems, especially for the electronics enthusiast. For hardware stand-alone-type recorders, I think DIY repairs like this are going to be the way. Did you just de-solder the old component and remove it? How did you go about measuring for the height compensation?

Anyway, sounds like fun - especially when it works! :)

flaphead
new to this board
new to this board

Post by flaphead » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:06 am

Yes, I simply desoldered them. Like I said, there's more than enough space to work there. I'd never have done it, if those were tiny micro-electronic soldering points. As for the height, I replaced them one after another, so whenever I had one removed, I aligned the new one to equal height on the backside using a small piece of flat plasic. If I was to do it again, I'd probably rather put something flat like a match or so between the board and the bottom of the switch, to make sure they all get a constant height.

Good to hear all your buttons are still working. That gives me hope, that my replacements will last a few years. I've just finished recording one song with two guitars, a (simulated) bass and drums from the R8 and realized how much button pressing is involved when working with the device.

zoniopoda omnicolor
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by zoniopoda omnicolor » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:43 pm

Interesting. You know, it seems to me that these momentary tactile switches ought to be good for anywhere from 100,000 to 3,000,000 cycles. I am not sure how the durability is determined. But even at 100K cycles, it seems like you could push a button 200 times a day for a year before that switch should fail. That seems like a lot even for that low end durability.

On the other hand, the switch could have been corroded somehow. I do not think that these switches can be cleaned out once they fail. But they are pretty cheap, so... (It also makes me wonder whether the solder joint had become compromised).

flaphead
new to this board
new to this board

Post by flaphead » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:19 am

So the previous owner might have been a heavy user :) Device is now 5 years old after all. I'm pretty sure it was related to usage, as those buttons that were affected most heavily were those that are pushed most often. They might also have been pushed overly hard, or held down frequently, I guess that would also shorten their life.

But anyway, all good now!

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Jim_Fogle » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:50 pm

flaphead,

There are a lot of R8s out there so I'm sure your post will be very useful to many users. It was nice of you to take time to share your research and experience with everyone.

Once again, thank you!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 4GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

HattyDamp
new to this board
new to this board

Post by HattyDamp » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:39 am

Hi...i am a new user here. In my case R8 buttons work fine so far, but sounds like a good project for the out-of-warranty unit that may develop problems, especially for the electronics enthusiast. For hardware stand-alone-type recorders, I think DIY repairs like this are going to be the way. Did you just de-solder the old component and remove it?

pcb assembly prototype
Last edited by HattyDamp on Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zoniopoda omnicolor
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by zoniopoda omnicolor » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi HattyDamp,

So I'm reading your post, and I'm thinking: gee, that looks familiar....
Then I realize, I wrote it on this topic on Oct 23.
What gives? Anyway, it's fine, but the OP already answered the question up there...

I'm confused... :?