R 24 REVERB IN HEADPHONES

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
g6120
member in good standing
member in good standing

R 24 REVERB IN HEADPHONES

Post by g6120 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:19 am

How do I get a little reverb through my headphones when I do vocals laying tracks down . What steps do I take to do so . It would not be recorded with reverb it would just be in my phones .
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: R 24 REVERB IN HEADPHONES

Post by Wulfraed » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:01 am

Based upon the manual, you will not be able to do that using the send/return reverb module. Only insert effects have the option for wet/dry (you are asking for dry mode).

Unfortunately, looking at page 78, the only insert algorithm with its own reverb is the basic clean/distortion/acoustic (ie, guitar). Microphone algorithms do not show a reverb unit.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

hoodoo voodoo

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:26 pm

Page 55 of the manual describes in detail exactly what you want to do.

Insert effect > select your delay/verb algorithm> select 'Dry' for the record signal (ie no effect gets printed, but you'll be hearing the 'wet' version)

It's quite easy to do. I don't recall how you dial up the amount of reverb you want to hear, but it's definitely possible to do so (either via the jog wheel or a fader, I don't recall which)

Edit...the above refers to the R16 manual, I assume it's similar or identical for the R24 ?
In the R16 manual, it's in the "Effects" section, under the topic: Using the insert effect only for monitoring
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:28 pm

As I pointed out, however, the only algorithm with a true reverb on it is "clean/distortion/aco/bass" on the R24 (the R16 doesn't even have that)

The other insert algorithms have a delay module, which may not produce the desired effect (closest would be to configure the Mod/Delay to "AIR" which attempts to simulate room wall acoustics but does not incorporate the decay/repeat of a real reverb.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

selbalicious
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by selbalicious » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:08 pm

I must have read the original question wrong? Because this is EXACTLY what the Send/Return effects are for (e.g., the Reverb Send/Return).

Whether the R24 is in audio interface mode or standalone mode, the Send/Return Reverb (I recommend the Soft Hall preset as a decent reverb "room" for vocals) would give you some reverb for laying down vocals, but by default, the Send/Return effects are NOT recorded "wet" (but you CAN "burn-in" the Send/Return effects through Bouncing tracks THROUGH the Send/Return effects to the destination channel(s).

Both manuals (main operations manual as well as the audio interface manual (see: https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/f ... nglish.pdf) have steps to follow when wanting to use Send/Return effects while laying down various tracks.

Did I misunderstand the question??

K
0 x
Kevin B. Selby
https://www.facebook.com/TheJKDuo/ <-- Live Performance
http://kevinselby.com <-- Original Music (free downloads if you're smart enough to hack the music player...HAH!)

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:57 am

selbalicious wrote: Did I misunderstand the question??
Probably not -- I have to admit I don't have enough experience with the send/return signal path to be sure where the return gets back into the chain.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed