transferring from computer to r16

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
rkirk
new to this board
new to this board

transferring from computer to r16

Post by rkirk » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:27 pm

How do I transfer a prerecorded track to the r16? Tried before with not much luck. I understand I should use card reader and be connected with cord, but what screen should I be in on my lap top, that is where should the track come from, WMP? and if so what do I do to get it to R16? The sync area is gray. I assumeing I even get that to work, then after that what? by the way, i now have Win 10 if that makes any difference.

Thanks
RK
0 x

mikethebass
dues paid
dues paid

Re: transferring from computer to r16

Post by mikethebass » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:27 am

It's really simple,

Firstly IN STANDALONE MODE make a new project on the R16 and make a note of it's name, PROJ0025 for example.
Now connect your laptop to the R16 with a printer style USB lead and select Card Reader on the R16.

Now back on your laptop find the file you want to transfer. It's important to point out that the R16 can only read WAV files

Drag your Wav file across to the r16 and into the audio sub folder of the Project you created. You will have to assign the file to a Track or tracks. depending on whether it is mono or stereo.
0 x

rkirk
new to this board
new to this board

Post by rkirk » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:31 am

thank you. So, if the prerecorded track on the cd is not a wav file, which it isn't,
I would need to somehow convert that? Is that easily doable?
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:33 am

WAV files have to be 44.1kHz, but can be 16 or 24 bit, using an 8.3 file name (see page 72-73 of the manual) -- note: 16 or 24 bit will have to match the settings of the project; projects can not mix bit-depth.

If they are stereo files, you need to use a stereo-link track pair when assigning them; conversely, a true mono WAV can not be assigned to a stereo pair, only to a mono track.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to learn to play an instrument

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:17 pm

rkirk wrote:thank you. So, if the prerecorded track on the cd is not a wav file, which it isn't,
I would need to somehow convert that? Is that easily doable?
Is this a data CD (you can browse/navigate the file system) or a red-book audio CD?

If the latter, you will need software that can "rip" the contents of the CD, preferably in WAV (linear PCM) format (most applications rip in MP3 -- for example, the old Zune player software only rips in MP3 or WMA). On Windows 7 and earlier, one could configure the basic sound recorder to use "What U Hear" as the input, which would be a rudimentary way to record a playing audio CD (just shut down everything else that makes sounds in Windows). I've only been running Win10 for a month (no reinstall disk for the factory Win7 after a hard drive failure; had to buy new drive and Win10 install) so I don't know if that is an option. Hmm, Creative WaveStudio 7 has the "What U Hear" as a source option -- maybe that was part of the SoundBlaster support.

Sony (now Magix?) Sound Forge Pro has an "extract audio from CD" operation. Vegas Pro also has the extract option (Hmmm, looks like SoundForge is no longer a bonus from Magix -- all I have is Vegas Pro 14 and DVD Architect from the recent upgrade, but still have the Sony Vegas Pro 13 suite installed too. I need to install Finale (and get the company to unlock the lost registrations so I can reregister it), but I don't think it had CD ripping -- being mainly a musical score program with MIDI capability.

Window Media Player has configuration options for ripping -- which includes option for WAV format -- though I've not tested it (without a music CD, I don't find a "rip" command showing). I'd suggest that as the first route.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to learn to play an instrument