R16 Question about big issue

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
activedecay
new to this board
new to this board

R16 Question about big issue

Post by activedecay » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:16 pm

I got a R16 a month ago and finally got time to test it this past weekend. I had a Korg Volca synth and a Korg Kaoss Pad plugged directly into the R16 via 1/4 (no stereo pairing). I had KRK studio monitors running out of the R16 (balanced 1/4 to XLR).

While playing the synth I got a loud pop and loud static over the monitors. I turned everything off and then when I restarted sound would only output in short, sizzling busts like there was a short. If I tapped R16 faceplate it would come in for a bit then go out. I think I was running into channels 2&3. I moved my connections around to inputs 5&6 and they seem to still be working fine.

Is it possible to fry the unit by hooking synths or an effect processor drirectly to the R16? Did I just get a bad unit? I appreciate any info.

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: R16 Question about big issue

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:28 pm

If the unit is under warranty, I'd recommend contacting the Zoom Service center.

My suspicion would be on a bad electrolytic capacitor.
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to learn to play an instrument

activedecay
new to this board
new to this board

Re: R16 Question about big issue

Post by activedecay » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:28 pm

I actually have a replacement on the way from Amazon. I just wanted to confirm that I hadn't done anything wrong that might have fried the unit.