monitoring two R16 recorders simultaneously

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
SteveD
new to this board
new to this board

monitoring two R16 recorders simultaneously

Post by SteveD » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:10 pm

I'm not having any success monitoring all four outputs (L and R on each recorder) from the master unit when two R16 recorders are linked by USB. I have to transfer all tracks to PC in order to hear all 16 tracks on playback. All 16 tracks record, playback, rewind and fast forward from the master unit, but playback of the tracks on each unit only seems to come from that unit. In other words, only the 8 tracks actually recorded on the master unit can be monitored thru the left and right outputs of the master unit; to hear the L and R outputs of the slave unit it is necessary to connect directly to those outputs. This makes it clumsy to hear the playback of all 16 tracks immediately after recording, when we just want to hear the entire live recording without having to transfer to a PC. Thoughts, suggestions, comments, questions??
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: monitoring two R16 recorders simultaneously

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:36 am

That is as-designed. The only data passing between units when linked is the transport control signals (start/stop/rewind/etc.)

If you really need monitoring of both units, you'll need to obtain a small 4-in/2-out mixer to combine the audio outputs of the two units.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to learn to play an instrument

SteveD
new to this board
new to this board

Post by SteveD » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Yes, I guessed that was by design, just wanted someone to confirm my theory. Using a mixer is my plan, although I think "Y" cables might work. Thanks very much!
0 x

NCKen
new to this board
new to this board

Post by NCKen » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:04 am

Hi Steve D
Since you are using two units like I am I wanted to ask you if the metronome comes on (second unit) when recording? In other words when ever I record regardless if I want a metronome or not as soon as I hit record the second unit's click starts. Is the the same for you?
0 x

SteveD
new to this board
new to this board

Post by SteveD » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Sorry, I haven't checked in for a while, didn't see your question. I haven't noticed that problem, but next time I'm with the recorders (not at my home) I'll look into it.
0 x

analogkid455
new to this board
new to this board

Post by analogkid455 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:38 pm

I had the metronome turn on and could not shut it off. But, just go to volume and turn it all the way down. :D
0 x