R16 noob questions

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
lordspudz
new to this board
new to this board

R16 noob questions

Post by lordspudz » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:53 pm

'Not another gormless noob' I hear you say :roll:
Just got myself a R16 and am liking what I see.
I play in a duo, me on keyboard and a singer, and have been looking for something to record ourselves, along with my solo efforts; the R16 seems to fit the bill.
Being a total home recording virgin, I was hoping those experts among you might help me with a couple of questions and point me in the right direction to achieving recording harmony.

After unpacking the R16 I checked it worked and formatted a 32gb sd card before rushing with great anticipation into my 'studio'. I play a Yamaha Tyros 5 which has the following outputs (forgetting midi/effects etc),

Line Out - Sub 1 2 3 Aux Out 4 Aux Out
Main R L/R (into which speakers are currently connected)

Aux In - L R

Rightly or wrongly, I disconnected the cables from Main R L/R and connected two mono ¼ jack cables, connecting the other ends into inputs 1 and 2 on the R16. Of course, I lost sound from the Tyros 5 but plugged in headphones to the headphone socket on the R16, armed the inputs to Rec (red lights) and could hear the keyboard. When I get around to recording my duo, I know I can plug myself and the singers mic into the R16 but how do we hear what we are doing?

Following the manual, I opened a new project then, I 'think', I stereo linked the inputs and recorded the rhythm track of a midi file. It played back ok :music:
I then assigned, more by luck then judgement, that track to track 5 so I could hear the rhythm play whilst recording a melody track.

This where I need some guidance but firstly, have I plugged the cables into the right sockets and do I need to do it in stereo? Could I just plug into one input and get the same effect albeit recording in mono instead of stereo?
Once I've recorded track 1 (rhythm) what is the easiest, remember I'm a bit slow :lol: method to then record a second and successive tracks?

Really looking forward to getting into recording with the R16 and hope some kind soul out there can help me :D
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: R16 noob questions

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:22 pm

First: You really should be using the Line-Out from the keyboard rather than the speaker (Main) outputs. Line-out nominally has a fixed/known power/voltage range and should have better impedance matching, whereas speaker outputs are variable power and different impedance.

If the keyboard generates stereo effects (things like built-in chorus, reverb, or other ambiance effects) you likely want to use both L/R channels, and it may be easier to manage the result using a stereo-linked track pair. You don't HAVE to use just inputs 1&2 -- if you stay on 1&2 you'll have to take the effort to reassign track files to other tracks when layering (rhythm 1&2, assign to 7&8, remove/new on 1&2, melody)... It comes down to which is more difficult: software swapping of track files, or hardware swapping of cables.

Can't help with monitoring... The old HD16 had two headphone jacks (one was technically a "sub out mix", but if not using the sub-out function could be used as a separate headphone). An external multi-jack headphone amplifier might be needed if you need individual headphones (you probably don't want to fight with trying to record vocals while using speakers for monitoring -- getting the positioning right to avoid feedback could be a pain).
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

mikethebass
dues paid
dues paid

Post by mikethebass » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:49 am

On the R16 if you want more than one person to hear themselves while you are recording vocals you need a little headphone amp that has normally 4 outputs plus a TRS to TRS lead to connect your R16 headphone out put to the amp. Behringer do just what you need and it's quite cheap.
0 x

lordspudz
new to this board
new to this board

Post by lordspudz » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated :D
0 x

selbalicious
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by selbalicious » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:04 pm

Hey! I *also* have a Tyros 5 (and I love that thing!) and I also have used it extensively live and recorded live.

The simplest way I can think of to answer your questions:

1. You can EITHER: follow the other suggestions and use an inexpensive Behringer headphone amp like this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer/A ... plifier.gc - and I have this particular amp and can recommend it HEARTILY! It allows TWO sources that you can switch between...so...you could have a main mixer where all your sources are going to and then you either sub-out or insert-out of the main mixer into the 8 inputs of the R16 and you would route the Main mix of the main mixer *and* the R16 into the Behringer headphone amp and then, while live, you can switch between what the main mixer is doing and what the R16 is doing. This is actually my preferred method of recording gigs (at least with the R16) because you are separating the duties of each device and using them for their best features. In other words, the R16 is NOT being dumped out to the main speakers...the main mixer is doing that. The R16 at that point is sitting there "drinking" in audio and laying it down. Plus, by separating the two devices like this you are a bit more protected from disaster because...well...EACH device can "carry the gig" on its own if necessary.
OR
2. Simply use the R16 as your mixing *and* recording deck and you'll have to either split out the output to to headphones some way (simple splitter would do it and then each of you have a simple volume control thingey that lets you control your overall volume. OR you use the R16 by itself *and* you get an inexpensive headphone amp like the Behringer (4 people total can listen). I've done it this way too.
OR
3. read yer PM.

The bottom line here is that it all comes down to signal routing and once you figure all that out, you're golden and you can repeat your success each gig.

You don't even want to know how many different backup methods I had for recording the gig (at one time I think I was up to FOUR different recording devices recording the gig in one way or another...wayyyyyy overkill...but gosh...ya gotta experiment before you get good at this stuff...

Anyway...I'm sure you'll figure it out!

Sincerely,

K
0 x
Kevin B. Selby
https://www.facebook.com/TheJKDuo/ <-- Live Performance
http://kevinselby.com <-- Original Music (free downloads if you're smart enough to hack the music player...HAH!)

selbalicious
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by selbalicious » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:16 pm

Oh...and I'm nearing completion of a fusion jazz album produced mostly on the Tyros5 (shameless plug ahead):

See: http://kevinselby.com/at-my-old-school/
0 x
Kevin B. Selby
https://www.facebook.com/TheJKDuo/ <-- Live Performance
http://kevinselby.com <-- Original Music (free downloads if you're smart enough to hack the music player...HAH!)