Unable to use R24 as control surface with Logic Pro X 10.3 on Mac running El Capitan OS X 10.11.6

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
flamesong
member in good standing
member in good standing

Unable to use R24 as control surface with Logic Pro X 10.3 on Mac running El Capitan OS X 10.11.6

Post by flamesong » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:01 pm

One way or another, I have managed to get my R24 with previous versions of OS X and Logic, if only after a lot of frustration. After a great deal of reluctance, I finally updated my Mac Mini 2011 to El Capitan and updated Logic to Logic Pro X, perhaps naively expecting Apple's 'it just works' to make it so.

The R24 does work as an audio interface but it does not work as a control surface. I went through the controls surface settings and added Mackie Control > Logic Control and it appeared in the window albeit with an exclamation mark in the top right hand corner. As it was not functional, I tried to delete it and install again but neither back-spacing, cmd-Back-spacing nor selecting delete from the contextual menu would remove it - I had to delete the control surface preferences to start again but only found myself in the same place.

I started to get extremely annoyed and just opened Logic 9 to start using it instead but found the same problem. I read here about re-installing the R24 as a MIDI device but that only posed more questions when I discovered that some of the device settings, such as port number, were greyed out. The last time I had used Logic 9 was whilst running Yosemite and everything was fine so I suspect that this is an El Capitan 'feature'.

Has anybody got a Mac running El Capitan and Logic Pro X 10.3 or 9 working with an R24, R16 or R8?

flamesong
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: Unable to use R24 as control surface with Logic Pro X 10.3 on Mac running El Capitan OS X 10.11.6

Post by flamesong » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:44 am

Nobody chipped in so I figure nobody else has had this problem or could offer any assistance but no worries, I eventually worked out how to fix it.

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: Unable to use R24 as control surface with Logic Pro X 10.3 on Mac running El Capitan OS X 10.11.6

Post by Wulfraed » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:38 pm

Hmmm....

... and you will keep your solution secret so anyone else with the same problem has to suffer the way you did? :shock:
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to learn to play an instrument