Zoom R16 Recording

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
BM_Radio_Players
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom R16 Recording

Post by BM_Radio_Players » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:05 pm

I record radio plays in front of a live audience, with up to 6 actors on individual mikes, and 2 sound effect tracks.
When I set up a project, I would like to be able to mute an input while recording, to minimise cross talk between inputs, but once the record/play buttons are pushed the R16 will not let me mute a track by pressing the play/mute/rec button.
Is there a way to overcome this?
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: Zoom R16 Recording

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:24 am

Not really.

Tracks that are armed for record are creating WAV files during the record session -- if you were able to turn them off (and remember, that button cycles between play, mute, record, which adds a further complication) and back on, where would the data file be in the time line.

During mix-down, you can run the faders to -inf to remove the audio during those sections you wish to have muted, but recording assumes you want everything -- and that the microphones themselves are configured to reduce bleed (cardioid positioned a) close to the sound source so pre-amp gain is minimal, b) null zone of cardioid aimed at the unwanted sounds -- these two aspects result in the sphere of influence becoming quite small)
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to learn to play an instrument

BM_Radio_Players
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Zoom R16 Recording

Post by BM_Radio_Players » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:59 pm

Thank you Wulafraed, your reply has prompted some lateral thinking, I was reluctant to use the faders for a quick muting, because of the difficulty in returning them to their previous setting quickly. I have devised using a small piece of blu-tak as a stop for the fader, works well, is cheap, reusable, and will keep the .wav files running!!
0 x