Zoom r8 problem-- please power off

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Jkenobi79
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom r8 problem-- please power off

Post by Jkenobi79 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:02 pm

Im turning zoom r8 on for first time in over a year- it turns on but automatically saves then says goodbye please power off and there is nothing I can do at that point. It works fine with batteries. Ant suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
0 x

zoniopoda omnicolor
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: Zoom r8 problem-- please power off

Post by zoniopoda omnicolor » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:45 am

Ant suggestions would be appreciated
Well, I’m a grasshopper, but my buddy, Clive, he’s an ant, and during our morning stroll, I mentioned your post. ;) He suggested as follows:

Since the unit works on batteries, either the unit connection, the adaptor, or its cable, may be the issue. He said first to make sure that there was no dust or debris blocking any of the connections. A couple of bursts of compressed air may help to clear the connections at the unit, the cables, and the adaptor. Try the unit again. If it is still does not work, try powering the unit with the cable connected to a computer. If that works, then that suggests a problem with the adaptor. A new adaptor may solve it. But if the unit still has the same behavior, then the cable may be faulty. Try a new cable.

If none of this works, there may be a problem inside the unit with the connectors. Open solder joint, or corrosion, or who knows? This is where things can get tricky. A DIY fix after that would involve opening the unit, and that comes with some risks.

Presumably the unit is out of warranty. Zoom might be able to offer a refurb unit (for a price). You could ask them. Or just buy a new one.
0 x

Jkenobi79
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Jkenobi79 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:30 am

Appreciated- I will check it out when I get home-Thank you very much
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:48 am

The R8 external power comes via the USB connector. The first approaches are: is the power supply correct (some devices need a power supply that can provide more than the USB nominal 500mA max; my phone is one -- connect it to a common two-port USB charger and it just reports "not enough power", connect it to a computer port and it was happy).

Second, check the USB cable... (try a different cable).

Next -- does it work if connected to a computer in either card reader mode or audio interface? If this doesn't work, I'd be looking at the USB socket to main board connection.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Jkenobi79
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Jkenobi79 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:28 am

Cool- thank you !
0 x