Is there a way to increase the recording volume of the R16?

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Jib_Jabs
new to this board
new to this board

Is there a way to increase the recording volume of the R16?

Post by Jib_Jabs » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:07 pm

I have a Zoom R16 which I have connected via USB to my mac and Logic Pro X. When I go to record, sound is vaguely acknowledged, but only at a very low level. Additionally, when I listen back I cannot hear anything. I have all the faders up to maximum and gain on full, is there any way to fix this?

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: Is there a way to increase the recording volume of the R16?

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:12 pm

Faders should not matter -- they control the "output" from tracks to the master mix.

Input gain knobs should be set to just before the PEAK LED flickers. If you can't reach that state, then your input signals TO the R16 are too low... What type of microphones are you using? Phantom power is only available on two channels, so condenser microphones are limited to those two (and the position is such that you must have an 8-channel audio driver on the computer to use them).

IOW: if you disconnect the USB and record ON the R16, do you have usable levels. If you do, those signals should also be available on the USB (it's all digital at that point, so nothing like analog cable attenuation could be affecting it -- you should be getting the very same sample data that is recorded locally).
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to learn to play an instrument